This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Blame Us for Your Own Stupidity and Lack of Forsight

I work for a very small family-owned software company. One of the major categories of customers we deal with is special educational agencies. Mostly they are a delight to work with, but some are just...

I'm going to call this customer "Sparkle." It's not her real name, but her real name is just as unique and noticeable.

I got the call from Sparkle because she was trying to activate a computer. I got her serial number and found that it was a five-user license and had been activated on more than five computers. She was out of activations.

I gave her the standard spiel to de-activate one of the other computers and she'd be able to activate this one. At that point I expect either she will do what I suggest or give me a valid reason that she's entitled to an extra activation (e.g. hard drive crash, not understanding the instructions, reformats, fire, flood, etc.).

We usually believe people, help them, then make notes all over the account. We know this will let some people scam us, but we'd rather do that than hurt our legitimate customers. We figure the notes will keep the real scammers from doing it too often.

The point is that even scammers know the limits of what they are entitled to and don't pretend otherwise.

But Sparkle did something I didn't expect at all. She flat out told me she expected to activate 20 computers today.

On a 5-user license.

I told her that would not be possible because it was only a 5-user license. She didn't accept that. She already had activated it on 20 computers, you see, and now they weren't working.

I looked at the records and saw that license had definitely not been activated 20 times period. I suggested that maybe they had more than one license and the other 15 activations she recalls were on other licenses?

She insisted they were all on this license and that "someone" at our company had told her she could put it on "as many computers as [she] wanted" and they all had "just stopped working over the holidays."

That rang a bell. Our software will run for 45 days before it MUST be activated. Theoretically, you could install a 5-user license on 20 computers and it would work fine for 45 days, then you'd have to activate for it to work. Since they would not be able to activate all 20 computers after the 45 day period, we certainly would not routinely recommend that people do that. We just don't hate ourselves or anyone else that much.

Naturally, I was curious about this "someone" and asked for a name. She didn't know and told me it was "a gentleman."

I asked her to clarify what "the gentleman" told her.

She said she called and told "the gentleman" that she was doing a training session for 20 students and needed to install her license on 20 computers. "The gentlman" told her that she could install the 5-user license on the 20 computers.

OK. That actually made a weird kind of sense. If someone is doing a one-time training session that doesn't go on for more than 45-days, then doing it that way should work. It's a one-shot deal. I explained the 45-day trial again and explained that it sounded like they ran into the end of the trial period.

She was furious that "the gentleman didn't tell [her] that it wouldn't work after 45-days." There are two things that made me upset here. One is that both the male co-workers who could have talked to her would not fail to mention something like that. As I said, we don't hate ourselves enought to set up a situation like that.

The other thing is that she obviously never told us that wanted 20 permanent installation. If she had, anyone who works here would have tried to sell her 15 additional seats. That because we do like ourselves enough to want to make money.

So I started wondering if she was a scammer. It was either that or her selective hearing was honed to the point where she could string random quotes into whatever she wanted to hear with more skill than a Survivor sound editor.

I simply repeated the way that the our licensing works and referred to the license agreement. I also asked her if she had seen the clearly stated nag message that which stated "[Software] must be activated by [date]."

That's right. Even if "the gentleman" misled her, our software itself told her what was going to happen after day 45.

Repeatedly.

On 20 computers.

And nobody, including her, thought the nag message might mean something.

Of course she ignored my question about the nag message and constantly interrupted and talked over me while I tried to explain things. She started demanding that I do something NOW because she was calling from a classroom session with twenty students who were sitting in front of twenty computers expecting Sparkle to teach them to how to use software that had stopped working weeks ago.

Yes. You read that correctly.

No. The irony that she was training people to use our sofware was not lost on me.

And all of it is our fault.

Miraculously, I actually was able to help her. I checked with Mark and he let me issue her a temporary 20-user training license. That will bail her out of the predicament she put herself we put her in.

Naturally, she still kind of hosed because she will need to remove and re-install the program to put the new license on those computers. I could have suggested she make that a class exercise to save time, but thought better of it.

I also gave the free license an expiration date roughly 10 days from now, so they will stop working soon. I mentioned the expiration date no less than three times in the email I sent her. I put exquisite detail in the directions, anticipating every possible misunderstanding and clarifying it. I also mentioned that the software would not work after the expiration date three times in writing. Again.

She called again an hour later because she didn't get the email. I read the email address she gave me back to her. She said it was right. I re-sent the email and waited on the phone to see if she got it.

She didn't. I confirmed the email again, this time clarifying each letter. I got to "N as in Nancy."

What? There's no N in her email address. Never mind that I had read it back to her no less than 4 times with the N and she had agreed it was correct.

So I sent it again without the N. It went through. She wanted me to wait on the phone while we she read it over. I agreed.

She told me she didn't get any of it and started asking questions. Every time I tried to answer a question, she interrupted me to tell me "that doesn't make any sense" and would ask another question.

I began to believe she wasn't scamming or using selective hearing. I now believe my co-worker tried to tell her and she wouldn't shut up long enough to let him finish giving her the information she needed.

So I stopped trying to explain. I just took her through getting one computer up and running (successfully!) using one word prompts.

Continued in part 2...
    Last edited by Rapscallion; 01-24-2008, 05:22 PM.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

I don't know which is stronger in this one; the suck, the stupid or the scammer!

Eagerly awaiting Part 2!

Comment

I am going to have to say scammer. But then again, there are stupid people in the world.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Part 2

After Sparkle got one computer up and running, she told me that she was going to do the rest and then call us back after the class to find out how we were going compensate her for her trouble.

Yeah. I bailed her out of a situation of her own making, FOR FREE, mind you and she still thinks she deserves additional compensation.

So I flat out asked her why she felt she deserved compensation.

Because "the gentleman" should have given her a temporary training license just like I did.

I was about to explain that a temporary training license, which had been issued a few months ago, would not have worked today any more than the 45-day trial did. I then decided that trying to explain that would hurt too much, so I just told her I'd need to know "the gentleman's" name and I'd be happy to talk to him.

She refused to answer and changed the story slightly. It seems we had sold her the 5-user license and "the gentleman" had told her at the time of the sale that she could use it on 20 computers. They "spent big bucks" with that understanding and she was very upset about it and expected us to "make it right."

That is bullshit. We like making money. We don't sell a 5-user license and tell people that it's going to work for 20-users. That would be stupid. We make more money selling a 20-user license.

So now I'm back to thinking she's a scammer, but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe she's some unholy hybrid of scammer, selective listener, interruptosaurus (TM Blas87) and complete idiot.

I just told her that I didn't know what to tell her, but she'd have to come up with a name. She had a free 20-user license which would work until [date] and she should be all set for today.

She kept telling me about the "big bucks" she had spent. I finally asked her how much she had paid.

She didn't know.

I told her our records showed that the agency had paid for a 5-user license and they received a 5-user license. If they really wanted a 20-user license, they should have purchased a 20-user license. If "the gentleman" tricked them into spending less money than they should have, we'd be happy to talk to him after we got his name.

That's when she said she wanted to talk to someone else about this, but would call back later.

It hasn't happened yet, because she's probably still busy teaching that class. I really wish I was there watching.
        Last edited by Dips; 01-23-2008, 08:00 PM.
        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Waiting not-so-patiently for an update....

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Can't wait for part 2, this person may not be dumb but is not getting enough information to be well informed, but that is her own fault.
            Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

My brain needs to be reinserted back into my head b/c I had no idea that ppl were that ridiculous.
              The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

*Grabs popcorn and drink.*

Phone Jockey: My brain needs to be reinserted back into my head b/c I had no idea that ppl were that ridiculous.
                I'm surprised that this is coming from you, your customers make her look like Einstein.
                The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

What is this with morons these days and expected compensation for every little thing that they perceive goes wrong? Too f-ing bad you whiny scammer twit.
                  "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I'm afraid the update isn't all that exciting. She called back late yesterday with a technical question and asked for me by name.

So I helped her and she told me *again* that she was going to need to talk to "somebody" later to complain about the issue.

I just clammed up and didn't discuss it. She mentioned she'd consult her notes from the first phone call so she would have "the gentleman's" name when she called to complain. She also asked if we had a record of which sales person sold her the license. I didn't. That information is in the accounting system and I don't have access.

After we disconnected I looked at the database a little more closely and saw that they didn't buy the license from us. They bought it from a third party, a private business in the same town as Sparkle's agency.

Interestingly, this particular third party told us that they were going to resell the software but never even asked about a reseller discount. I was the one who gave them the quote and made tons of notes because it was so unusual for them not to try to make money reselling.

I can think of only two reasons they didn't bother about the discount. Either our software was a tiny portion of a huge bid from Sparkle's agency and they were making enough money that the discount wasn't worth bothering about. Or they lied about our licensing terms to Sparkle's agency to lowball the bid.

Either way, I suspect that when Sparkle reads her notes she's going to find that "the gentleman" she spoke with works for those guys, not us.

So she probably won't be calling back to complain. If she does call, my co-worker, Mark, has offered to be the *somebody* she complains to. The owner is OK with that.

Comment

Ah, so the suck runeth over from other places? Joy.
                      "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
                      James from Pokémon.

Comment

Working...
                      X