This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna be some sweet sounds coming down on the night shift

So, about a month ago I landed a job at a grocery store...yay, back to retail. Bleh. But they're willing to give me the hours I need/want so I'll do it. And as an added plus, it's not as hard on my poor body as the hotel housekeeping job! I worked both jobs for the first week and a half before deciding I'd had enough of the hotel, especially when one of the managers proved to be a lying cow - I gave my notice at the end of my last scheduled shift for that particular week and told them I was officially done as of that moment. Onto better things for me!

Now that I'm fully trained in my section (HABA - health and beauty) I work the overnight stock/tags shift. And so far I absolutely love it! No customers, and I can leave at quitting time instead of having to work until my list is complete (which sometimes meant I didn't work my scheduled 8 hours or worked longer then 8 hours while at the hotel). I bring in a portable speaker and blast my tunes from my work cart, and just generally get on with whatever needs doing that night.

My first week on nights I didn't work with the night shift manager because she was holidays, so I had to somehow get it through the temp manager's head that I was ONLY for HABA - he got shitty with me because I wouldn't drop what I was doing to go help grocery with putting out their order, and he didn't like it what I asked if grocery would help me put HABA's order away in return. But now that the night crew manager is back it's all good - she knew what I was hired for, and she absolutely loves that there is finally another woman on the shift, one that she actually gets along with and doesn't need to be babysat! Friday morning she asked if there was a way to clone me LOL

The store belongs to a major Canadian chain that also owns a large drug store chain, and they recently went through a staffing restructure where a lot of the long-term and f/t employees were offered a nice severance package and then were given the opportunity to come back as p/t employees at a lower wage. Many people accepted the package but opted to leave the company, so trying to get some things put through has been fun - I'm using the store manager's log-in information for the scanning gun until somebody figures out how to request and set-up my log-in for the scanning gun as it's imperative that I have access to the gun for scanning items out of inventory (theft, damage, recalls, etc), setting up new planograms, and making shelf label print requests (until we finally get electronic pricing installed).

But so far it's been a decent job and I don't have to worry about killing my back as much these days. And because I work overnight I also get a paid a bit more than minimum wage due to the added bonus of shift differential. So long as I have enough to cover bills and rent with a bit left over so I can afford a couple of luxuries it's all good <3

I have the feeling you and I are working for the same company. Same thing here: they gave me the hours I wanted. My income has taken an unholy drop because of it but it's giving me time to get to work on other things that I want to do (which hopefully will bring in a bit more money in the future).

Alas, I am "front end" (cashier) and I can get some training in a couple of other areas, but not areas such as bakery, deli, or anything like that. I'd still rather be here than in Giant Honkin' Mess of a Store with Alien Queen peering over our shoulders all the time. I'm hearing that nearly everybody who started there at the store's opening (on the front end, anyway) are gone.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
    X