Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which side is left, or some people shouldn't be allowed to work on their car

So, working at Redneck Auto Parts (or Big Green if you prefer) these days. Always fun dealing with people who don't know what they're working on, but then you get one that takes it to a new level. Sold someone a pair of struts, and they asked (well, they weren't that polite) me to mark which was which. Easy, marked them left and right, only to get asked the title of this post. Yes, I know it's all about perspective, but in the US, the driver standardly sits on the left, and the passenger on the right, so guess which side is left.
    Seph
    Taur10
    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

I get asked for front headlights, rear brake lights. And then there was the time I was told I sold them the wrong bulb. They needed a brake light, the WHITE brake light. Otherwise known as a back up light.

Comment

That's part of the reason I always say driver or passenger side. Hopefully that eliminates some confusion.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
        That's part of the reason I always say driver or passenger side. Hopefully that eliminates some confusion.
        Yeah, I hadn't thought of doing that, but then, as the standard rule is that driver sits on the left, it didn't occur to me to dumb it down that much.
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I also usually specify driver side or passenger side to reduce confusion. Part of that is because my Mom has genuine problems with left and right (so when driving I use East for right and West for left regardless of actual direction and that works fine).

Comment

We tend to refer to them as offside and nearside here, as that eliminates confusion if the vehicle has a non-standard seating arrangement - the side next to the kerb will be the same whether the steering wheel is in front of the left, right, or centre seat.
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Well, that's what you get for driving on the wrong side of the road!

I still remember getting thoroughly pissed outside of London one night and heading back to my mates' place in a taxi. They were in the back, I was in the front passenger's seat. You know, the front-left one. Drunk as a skunk. With no steering wheel. Every 15 seconds I'd have a little mental jolt about it.

I mentioned it to the cabbie; he was pretty amused by the thought.
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Dave in MD View Post
                I get asked for front headlights, rear brake lights..
                I ask if they had have rear headlights or front brake lights.
                AkaiKitsune
                Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                  I still remember getting thoroughly pissed outside of London one night and heading back to my mates' place in a taxi. They were in the back, I was in the front passenger's seat. You know, the front-left one. Drunk as a skunk. With no steering wheel. Every 15 seconds I'd have a little mental jolt about it.
                  I can beat that. My friends took me out for my birthday a few years ago, and they got me really drunk. They drove me home, and I kept thinking I was driving, even though I was in the back seat. I only remember bits and pieces, but they told me the conversation went something like this:

"Oh my god! I am so fucked up! I should not be driving! I love you guys, but you should not have let me drive like this!"

"Mike, you're not driving. Jesse is."

"Oh, OK!"

To this day, we joke about me "driving from the back seat."
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                  X