This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My computer won't access the internet

To start of with, we have a really crappy wireless network at home. It's slow as all hell, the signal is patchy, and it goes down sporadically. I'm sure that most of this can be fixed with a new router.

We have two macs that access the internet fine, but get very little signal from the wireless. My computer runs vista, and while it connects to my local network at full signal, it cannot access the internet. It has no problem accessing the internet with other wireless networks.

My inclination is to blame the shittiness of our network, but I figured I'd better check.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

your wi-fi is secured, right? If it is, double check the pass code. If it isn't exact, and it is case sensitive, then you're not getting through, even if it says it can connect.

Barring that, it could be the spotty wi-fi signal. Sometimes certain configs just drop net access entirely if they don't get a strong enough signal.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

It's decided to pull a new trick now. It will go online, but at speeds slower even than that time we had AOL, back in '95.

I've decided to officially blame it on the shittiness of the network, and go kick some people until we get it fixed.

Comment

Did you try unplugging the router and then plugging it back in?
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

have you tried to reset the dsl modem (unplug it wait a few seconds...usually a rousing rendetion of mary had a little lamb works great).
          My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
            Did you try unplugging the router and then plugging it back in?
            Quoth digilight View Post
            have you tried to reset the dsl modem (unplug it wait a few seconds...usually a rousing rendetion of mary had a little lamb works great).
            At least once a week when the internet fails for every one. If it were up to me we would have replaced both ages ago, but I am not in charge of the internet around here.

I am this close to taking the household credit card and walking over to the Radio Shack, and not telling anyone until I've replaced them until I've destroyed the old ones with a sledgehammer.

Comment

Working...
            X