This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Help

Okay right now the only computer I have in my home is a laptop. I would like to hook up a wireless connection and have bought a linksys router. Is it possible to have wireless with just one computer or do I need to have another computer to set up the network?

Nope. You only need a wireless router, and a computer with wireless abilities. It can be a little hard to set up at first though, so I'd recommend using a cable for that part.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Thank you much!

Comment

Also its advisable to set up some sort of wireless security so you can control who has access to your wireless connection.

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...i=&p_topview=1

This link shows you how to set up a simple passphrase for a linksys router.

Also a good idea to change the default password used to access your router:

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...i=&p_topview=1

again a link that shows how to change it on a linksys router.
        Last edited by Chanlin; 01-25-2009, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
          Nope. You only need a wireless router, and a computer with wireless abilities. It can be a little hard to set up at first though, so I'd recommend using a cable for that part.
          From experience it is much easier to use a wired connection from the laptop to the router for the intial setup and passwords, etc. Once you got that unplug the cable from the laptop and try it out.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
            From experience it is much easier to use a wired connection from the laptop to the router for the intial setup and passwords,
            That...would be why...I added the last half of that post.......
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
              From experience it is much easier to use a wired connection from the laptop to the router for the intial setup and passwords, etc.
              Safer too. Think about it. Until the encryption is setup, you are broadcasting the info out there. land line setup doesn't have that liability.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                Safer too. Think about it. Until the encryption is setup, you are broadcasting the info out there. land line setup doesn't have that liability.
                I've known that governments used TEMPEST shielding, but never knew that this had been integrated into the Ethernet standards. Cool. You learn something new every day

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                  I've known that governments used TEMPEST shielding, but never knew that this had been integrated into the Ethernet standards. Cool. You learn something new every day
                  Bad Pedersen, BAD! <whack whack whack!>

Just to clarify, Ethernet cables do not have TEMPEST grade shielding, but do have some shielding to block external EM signals from causing interference, same as most cables. The shielding, because of it's nature, works both ways and reduces the signal's EM field as well, to the point where you need to physically tap the cable for something you can interpret.

Now which seems safer, Broadcasting the info 30+ meters where someone wardriving can pretty much bypass all the security implemented, or using a cable which will broadcast an interpretable signal for maybe a quarter inch around it?
                  I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Bad Pedersen, BAD! <whack whack whack!>
                    Of course I'm bad. That's why I'm so much fun at parties

Okay, granted, parties seem to migrate away from me, but that doesn't mean I'm not fun, right? *sniffle*

Just to clarify, Ethernet cables do not have TEMPEST grade shielding, but do have some shielding to block external EM signals from causing interference, same as most cables. The shielding, because of it's nature, works both ways and reduces the signal's EM field as well, to the point where you need to physically tap the cable for something you can interpret.
                    Well, to be pedantic, ethernet is called Unshielded Twisted Pair for a reason. It's possible I've misunderstood (I freely admit we're getting into areas that are not my strength), but what I did understand was that these cables do broadcast. Not nearly as far, and not nearly as easy to read, but they do broadcast.

Now which seems safer, Broadcasting the info 30+ meters where someone wardriving can pretty much bypass all the security implemented, or using a cable which will broadcast an interpretable signal for maybe a quarter inch around it?
                    Oh, it doesn't just *seem* safer, it is. I'm just being the pedant that I do so very well

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                      Well, to be pedantic, ethernet is called Unshielded Twisted Pair for a reason. It's possible I've misunderstood (I freely admit we're getting into areas that are not my strength), but what I did understand was that these cables do broadcast. Not nearly as far, and not nearly as easy to read, but they do broadcast.
                      If you want to be pedantic, then ethernet and UTP are NOT interchangeable like most people think. UTP is the cable most commonly used for ethernet, but UTP, STP, S/STP, and S/FTP are all ethernet cables too. so nyah!

UTP is kind of a misnomer, because even UTP has some layers of shielding, from the individual wire coating, to the outer shell, and some use a type of fiberglass for filler. Even though it's all there for electrical insulation, It also does some EM field protection. Very little, but there's not a lot of electricity running through them anyway so there is a difference in the EM field. Still, it's a lot harder to tap into a wired signal than a wireless.
                      I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Made sure it was all nice and secure. I think I may have to have someone come out and set it up for me. I connected through the ethernet to set up and configure the router, and as soon as it unplug the ether net it doesn't work. Hopefully I can find someone who can just come here and fix it lol.

Comment

Working...
                        X