Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's just a cat (not sucky but annoying)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who insist that all cats have to be one breed or another are usually dog people and know jack squat about cats. In the dog world, generally each dog is one breed or another, or a cross of breed X and breed Y, or some of X and some of Y and some of Z, et cetera. Everything is done in terms of breeds. And people who know nothing about cats just assume cats are the same way.

Around here, your run-of-the-mill normal non-breed cats are called domestic shorthairs or domestic longhairs.

Oh, and "tabby" and "tortoiseshell" et cetera are not breeds -- those are colors/patterns that many different breeds (and normal cats) can have.

Comment

Quoth tigerlily0 View Post
      Around here, your run-of-the-mill normal non-breed cats are called domestic shorthairs or domestic longhairs.

Oh, and "tabby" and "tortoiseshell" et cetera are not breeds -- those are colors/patterns that many different breeds (and normal cats) can have.
      Drat, you beat me to it, hehe. Though, I had a cat that was a "Medium hair" too.
      Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

"What kind of cat is he?"

"Half Abyssinian, half sneaky fence-climbing, screen-door-scratching neighbor cat."
        My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Let's see now, the only cats vaguely resembling a breed, are the two Maine Coons I've had. I don't know what Snow was (other than white, and deaf), and I'm not sure what Sally is. Do I care? No, not really--they're just nice kitties who love to play and get petted
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth tigerlily0 View Post
            People who insist that all cats have to be one breed or another are usually dog people and know jack squat about cats. In the dog world, generally each dog is one breed or another, or a cross of breed X and breed Y, or some of X and some of Y and some of Z, et cetera. Everything is done in terms of breeds. And people who know nothing about cats just assume cats are the same way.
            Some dogs are of no specific breed or, to put the other way around, are of about every and each breed imaginable. They are sometimes referred to as "bastards" around here, but they're generally too cute and/or too funny to be called that. So, they're just dogs.
            "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
              When people ask what kind of cat our Mei Mei is, we say, "The kind that is born under someone's front porch."
              Hehehe, my Lilly is an American medium-hair Barcat.

She was born at a bar a friend of mine at the time's father cooked in. They adopted the momma, so Lilly's first "real" foods were things like sausages from the pizzas!

Comment

When I worked for Animal Control, the majority of cats were entered into our license database as DSH, DMH, DLH (domestic short/medium/long hair).

People often do want to classify cats the same way as dogs. I loved trying to enter new cats into our license records.

Citizen: "I just got a cat, he's a tabby."
                Me: "Okay, can you describe him for me?"
                Citizen: "... He's a tabby."

Brown/black, grey/black, orange/white, what? Made me laugh. I ran into it with some dogs, too; many owners couldn't understand that 'brindle' was a marking, not a color.

So, cat fanciers who fancy cats more than I, a question: are Persian, Himalayan, Ragdoll, etc. considered 'breeds?'
                Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

Yes - Persians and Himalayas, Siamese, Abyssinian, Russian Blue, Manx and Rex are all breeds that come to mind immediately. And they are specific breeds. I don't know about Ragdolls, though.
                  The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Yup a Ragdoll is also a breed: http://www.catfacts.org/ragdoll-cat-facts.htm
                    "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

I think Himalayans are not considered a separate breed any more. They were created I believe by crossing Persians and Siamese to create a color-pointed Persian, which is I think what they are now considered by at least some of the big cat show organizations.

Comment

Working...
                      X