Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm guilty of purchasing then returning. I dislike trying clothes on in the store most of the time - either I'm not sure, or I'm in a hurry, or I'm with someone who's in a hurry - so I bring them home and just return the (nwt) clothes I don't want.

For my cousin's wedding last year at the Trump Country Club in Long Beach I spent $800 on 6 dresses, tried them all on at home and returned the ones I didn't like.

I don't know why people would do it with a lot of other stuff, though.
    WoW addict: Rogue, Paladin, Hunter, Priest!

Comment

The more I read this, the more I hate clothes shopping.

Keep reminding me, because I need to update my wardrobe soon and I don't wanna!
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
        The funny thing is when I was younger, going clothes shopping with her was an absolute nightmare. I was able to decide if I wanted something right on the spot, but nooooo...I decided "too quickly" and thus we wouldn't leave until I picked something out, nevermind that I didn't want anything in the store, nor do I need to try on every single item of clothing in the entire store "just to be sure." Often times we'd spend 4-5 hours.
        I'd say we are secret siblings, but my mother didn't buy stuff then turn around and return it. However, she always pushed to get things on sale, partly, I believe, because she grew up fairly poor. But the all day shopping trips killed me. Hated them. And she would drag me to sales when I didn't need anything, just in case we could find some real bargains. *Hello, it's not a bargain if you don't need it.*

I don't spend a lot on clothes and I do sale shop, but I love the internet. I do almost all my clothes and shoe shopping online. I get a better variety and I can do it in my jammies.

For my kids and husband, I watch the sales, then I go to the mall just a few times a year and stock up.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
          These women (they were all women) would come in and purchase enormous quantities of stuff. Then, a couple days later, they would return it ALL. They did this on a regular basis. Clothes, home goods, toys...they brought it all back. And they did this over and over, at least once a week or every couple weeks. There were 3 or 4 women I recall doing this on a regular basis. I don't think they actually used the stuff and then returned it; there was just too much for anyone to use in a couple days. I wonder if it was some sort of psychological compulsion.

It was very strange. I have never seen this at any other store I have worked at, and I wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences.

I deal with this everyday at work! I am the Front End Supervisor and I see many of the same women a couple of times a week doing this. This one customer always buys candles and soaps and returns it then buys more of the same and then returns that and buys more. She is not using them. I guess she can't make up her mind.

Another lady buys about 20 things and takes the tags off of all of them and we have to figure out what goes with what.

There is a lady who returns and then buys back what she returns 10 minutes later. She did this with the same tea pot about 5 times in one month.

Or the lady that has no tags or receipts for most of her returns.

These people hold up my line and it drives me crazy
          The service desk person in the morning is the main cashier and these women are lined up waiting for the store to open and often wipe out the till.

I don't mind returns cause we often change are minds on things we buy, but please have the tags on and keep your receipt.

Our store used to do layaway but our company is going to eliminate it eventually. We stopped doing layaway 2 years ago and everyone was so happy. It took up a lot of time for the service desk and 9 out of 10 layaways were never picked up.

Comment

Aimee, its a book read it and besides teen suicide, same sex molestation, and other stuff you will learn more about shoping addictions, that sound like your ladys.

Comment

And then we have my Mother, who has the opposite problem. She cannot stand to return anything. If she buys a DVD, and then gets home and discovers she's already bought it, she'll give it to one of her kids or friends. Same with just about anything else. She considers it her fault that she didn't remember. And it would be easy for her to return a lot of things she buys, cause she's one of those people who keeps her receipts religiously and doesn't take the packaging off of anything right away. But she won't do it.
              Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

we have something similar in the hotel industry... we have the people who will reserve rooms and will always cancel every single reservation 10 minutes before the deadline... or worse, we have a regular at our hotel... I have never actually seen this person or even heard them... they book online every week for saturday night, they always no show... every single week... to my knowledge they have never contested a charge... so they just keep on booking and keep paying the no show charge... every single f-ing week.
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                  These were the same women who put huge quantities of stuff on layaway and never picked it up. I think we kept things for 90 days before putting them back on the floor, and we refunded any money paid on the layaway if the customer came back in, except for a $5 service fee.
                  The way we worked Layaway at the jewelry/gift store: 10% down, then a minimum of $1 (one) per month till paid off.

When I started, there were LOTS of overdue accounts, some by over a year! I started a policy of sending out a postcard at 6 weeks indicating that the payment was overdue, and if we did not receive a payment by a certain date the item would be returned to stock with NO refund. And that it was their own responsibility to keep up with payments; we would not be sending out bills.

It was amazing how many people never came back.
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

We used to get this at the evil red craft store. There were a few women (always women, you're right) that were no longer allowed to return anything because they'd returned so much stuff.

You all need to shop with my mom- she's one of those 'I know what I want, there it is, try it on, yup, let's buy it an go' kind of shoppers. Which is annoying if you like to browse, but if you hate shopping is quite refreshing!
                    Arsenic is 'natural'. Hemlock is 'organic'.

Comment

This week we dealt with a bride who put a $600 dress on layaway in May, and made not a single payment in the last two months. Not $5, nothing. She appeared for her fitting this week and was shocked! that we wouldn't alter her dress until it was paid for. Manager had a soft heart, bought the story that bride (a young-looking girl who still wears her hair in pigtails) missed the signs and notice on her receipt about payment in full.

The alterations have been pinned, but I'm betting the date of the wedding will come with no further money from the bride. We'll pull out the pins and hand back the dress. Or, she may never pay another dollar, or pick it up, either.

She doesn't have an engagement ring, either. Not to judge, some people don't wear jewelry, (I don't) but she said they couldn't afford it.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                        we have a regular at our hotel... I have never actually seen this person or even heard them... they book online every week for saturday night, they always no show... every single week... to my knowledge they have never contested a charge... so they just keep on booking and keep paying the no show charge... every single f-ing week.
                        My guess is he's holding it in hopes he gets lucky at the local swingers night. Obviously, his luck sucks.
                        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                        HR believes the first person in the door
                        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                        Document everything
                        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Miyon View Post
                          She will go to a store, buy tons of stuff, cloths, furniture, bath supplies etc. Then one or two days later she will realize she doesnt like most of the stuff.
                          Yours too? Now that us kids are grown and my parents have money my mom spends it. (She works in an antique "mall"). My dad actually thinks they'd have more money if she stopped working and went back to being a housewife because then she wouldn't spend so much.

She's always calling asking us to come by and see something. Then if we don't come fast enough she buys it and gives it to us, or keeps it.

Or buys herself something and gives it to us after a week or so. Half of our Christmas/Halloween decorations came this way.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                            Quote:
                            Quoth smileyeagle1021
                            we have a regular at our hotel... I have never actually seen this person or even heard them... they book online every week for saturday night, they always no show... every single week... to my knowledge they have never contested a charge... so they just keep on booking and keep paying the no show charge... every single f-ing week.

My guess is he's holding it in hopes he gets lucky at the local swingers night. Obviously, his luck sucks.
                            Maybe his luck is better than we think... he's spending the night in someone's bed, and creating a paper trail if ever called on his whereabouts.

At least THIS one is paying! I hate the people who think retail stores are a free loaning service. The very same people probably pull their purchases from the bottom of every stack, messing up the shelf, so they don't have to buy the top one that others have touched.
                            Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

Working...
                            X