Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are we arguing about this?!? (kinda long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are we arguing about this?!? (kinda long)

Hi all! I'm new at posting, but I love (hate?) reading posts here. It does make me a little happier to know that I'm not alone

Well, I work in a bookstore (with CS user Mark Healey - perhaps you know him?) and we don't get too many wackjobs in here, but the ones that we do are rather amusing. This one happened recently so it's fresh in my mind. Last week this lady came in to ask about selling books (we buy and trade for used books). Just a normal, middle-aged lady. OR SO I THOUGHT. *dramatic music*

Me: me ;p (only one working at the time)
    SC: crazy lady person

SC: I want to sell some books. When is the owner in?
    Me: Well, He doesn't have a set schedule, but anybody who is here can help you with that.
    SC: *condescending* You can buy books?
    Me: ...Yes.
    SC: Well, when is that guy with the glasses in?
    Me: There's two people who work here with glasses. Do you mean [Employee #1] or [Employee #2]?
    (there are only three employees at this store, so I describe them to her)
    SC: No, this guy is tall, thin, and bald. He definately wears glasses. He's here all the time.
    Me: *confused* Well I don't know who that is. Perhaps you're thinking of a different store?
    SC: NO, I come in here ALL THE TIME and I see him here. I've lived in this neighborhood for ten years and yadda yadda...
    Me: Okay well I'm sorry but I don't know who that is.
    SC: He's here all the time. How long have you worked here?
    Me: ...Three years.
    SC: Well he's here all the time. He has glasses.
    Me: *wants to die* I'm sorry but I don't know who that is.
    SC: *looks at me like I'm insane* Okay, well he's in here all the time. Glasses.

Seriously, she just kept on repeating that there's a guy working here with glasses that doesn't look anything like the guys who actually work here with glasses. That went on for maybe a full minute more before she got kind of huffy and left. So she came in again yesterday, a few days after I first had the pleasure of meeting her, with a box of books.

SC: Is the owner here?
    Me: Sorry, he's not in today. Are you selling books?
    SC: Well I talked to the owner and he said to bring these in to him.
    Me: Well, the owner has been out of town for a week and he'll be gone for another two weeks. Maybe I can help you?
    SC: I want to sell these books.
    (so I look through the box and pick out maybe 10% worth)
    Me: I can give you $X for these.
    SC: *incredulous* Well the guy with the glasses said that if I brought these in he would buy them ALL from me.
    Me: (thinking: oh great) Ma'am, I'm sorry but do you mean [Employee #1] or [Employee #2] because those are the only people here with glasses and additionally we don't just buy anything without looking at it first...
    SC: NO! I told you last time that's not them. It's the other guy with glasses. How long have you worked here? I've lived here my WHOLE LIFE (funny 'cause she looked WAY older than ten -- see above) and I am not pleased with your service. You obviously don't know how to do your job at all. Get me your manager!!
    Me: I'm right here.
    SC: There is a guy with glasses who works here and I want to talk to him!!

It was pretty unbelievable. We ended up arguing AGAIN about whether or not there was this mystery glasses-wearing man secretly working in our store for the past ten years. I was really polite to her somehow, and she eventually took her books and left in a storm of *itchiness.

Sorry, hope that wasn't boring, but at the time it was pretty funny
    !
    "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

example #0870424004786 of when customers just won't take NO for an answer.

Comment

Holy what a psycho!
      It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Comment

bwahahahaha sounds like she was calling a different store, or maybe just talking to herself on her disconnected phone

Comment

Ah yes this is just like when the customer called and said that Melissa was rude to them and something needed to be done about her. (no melissa has worked at my restraunt for 4 years) Apparently she has curly blonde hair and glasses (again no one of such description). This customer called the owner and complained about her. He called me neither of us could figure it out.

Comment

I've found that when people mention these mysterious employees, it's because I'm not giving them something "so-and-so" said they could have.
            Just the other day I had this guy INSIST that this girl with dark hair and glasses said he could have a free movie rental because his copy of Cat in the Hat was defective (note: we can leave warnings on customer accounts. The employee who actually talked to him, who happens to be very male, said that customer did not want a different copy of the same movie and not to give him a free rental).
            Anyways, after confirming that yes, it was a female manager who talked to him and, no, it was not me he was talking about, I broke the bad news. Sorry, sir, I'm the only girl manager who has worked here in a year and a half.
            Think that shut him up? Of course not.

Comment

sounds like the lady was at the wrong store OR was making up the whole conversation with the boss and glasses-employee to try to trick you into selling the books

Comment

Quoth videodrone View Post
                I'm the only girl manager who has worked here in a year and a half.
                Think that shut him up? Of course not.
                So strange! Are these people just embarrassed to be called out on their lie or do they actually think that insisting a non-existent person exists will make them magically appear?
                !
                "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

But isn't it the LAW that every bookstore have a tall, skinny, bald guy that wears glasses?
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I need to lay down now. God ,what a moron.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                      But isn't it the LAW that every bookstore have a tall, skinny, bald guy that wears glasses?
                      My favourite bookstore had a short pudgy bald guy with glasses. Does this mean he's... illegal?
                      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

What did she think that this mythical guy wearing glasses was supposed to do?

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                          What did she think that this mythical guy wearing glasses was supposed to do?
                          Wave his "magic wand" and grant her whatever wish she desires.

It must be nice to be the Queen of Denial . . . . her name is probably Cleopatra.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
                            [...] do they actually think that insisting a non-existent person exists will make them magically appear?
                            If you believe certain streams of thought, this could work, if enough people believe strongly that would happen. Surprisingly, I don't believe it would. But maybe I'm just a nay-sayer.
                            "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

20 bucks says that if she was telling the truth about a guy there with glasses, it was another customer that shopped there all the time. *sage nod*
                              Some people are like slinkies,
                              They don't really serve a purpose,
                              But they still bring a smile to your face
                              When you push them down the stairs.

Comment

Working...
                              X