Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To the lovely lady with the shrieking infant.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth KnitShoni View Post
    Well, now, wait just a minute. Who decides the age when a child can "sit down and shut up?" Because, my 2-year-old does just that,
    Well it would appear that your child is of an age where they can behave themselves.
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

No-one is assuming anything. In my experience, most two year olds can't sit still for more than a few minutes, and have attention spans that would make a goldfish proud. Yours is obviously one of the few exceptions; I was one, myself. I learned to read at two, so would have been perfectly happy to sit still and read. However, my two little brothers would have been bouncing off the ceiling after five minutes of sitting still and shutting up. Kids are different, however you can't deny that most toddlers are different from your kid; it's not called the "terrible twos" for nothing. One kid does not a trend make.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

There are exceptions to every rule of course. My son actually does pretty well in the sitting down and playing quietly department (he's 2). If anything I have a problem with him happily playing at the top of his lungs. Not screaming bloody murder of anything but when he's happy he CACKLES.

Then there are those instances the parent really can't do anything. Like last week I had to go to the DMV with the kid cause I couldn't find a sitter but really needed my license renewed. Unfortunately they upped the cost so I didn't have the money and the bastard punted me out after a 2 hour wait with my son saying I had to come back and get back in line. The 1st wait my son was good, not so much the 2nd and nothing I did would please him.

You could seriously tell the non parents from the parents. Parents actually tried to help me when they saw I was making an attempt to keep him happy during the wait. Non parents kinda of gave this glare like I was showing off my stretch marks or something and a few even went "Why did you bring a 2 year old here?" to which I would explain again and again I needed my license renewed and had no other time to do it.

Just because we're parents doesn't mean we can't do things, but most of us sensible ones try to keep the kid in line and not make life hard on the rest of the world.
        "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

The husband and I were at WalMart the other day (yes, we're still poor college newlyweds), and the big "Back to School" sale was in full swing. Complete with a child screaming bloody murder at the top of her lungs heard through out the ENTIRE Super WalMart. I told my husband right then and there that if our kids ever started acting like that, we were leaving. Regardless of the shopping cart full of groceries. WalMart's open 24 hours in our area, one of us can go back when the kids are asleep.

KUDOS to those of you who teach your children how to behave in public. It gives me a little more faith in humanity.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Screaming babies and unruly children in restaurants are two of my biggest pet peeves. Why should I spend good money to go out to dinner if I have to listen to that? Dining out is supposed to be a pleasurable experience.

Comment

My mother was very fond of leaving if myself or my little brother, or any cousins that were around for the summer, misbehaved in the store/restaurant. Many a time I recall leaving with boxed-up food (or no food at all, if the misbehaving was early enough) when going out to eat with family, and many a full grocery cart abandoned (with a profuse apology to the customer service desk for doing such a thing on the way out).
              It shocks me to see parents completely ignoring young children who scream and yell and run around the restaurant like heathens. I recall going to Cici's pizza for a friend's kid's birthday, and being smacked into (repeatedly) by a pair of twins running around the place like it was their personal racing track.
              After the kids ran into a poor young woman balancing several plates for the toddlers at her table, and she dropped several dishes, the staff asked the parents of these twins to keep their children either in their seats or politely in line for the buffet, the parents were outright indignant that their kids weren't allowed to dart around and bump into people.
              "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

Working...
              X