This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not giving you antibiotics

Went to the doctor on Saturday with a sinus infection.

She was willing to give me scripts for a decongestant and pain killer but refused to put me on antibiotics because she wanted to see if it clear up on its own even after I told her I get chronic ear infections and was afraid that it was going to spread to my ears she told me "that there was a chance that it could spread to my ears but she didn't think that would happen and that I was over reacting".

At 8:30 that night I was feeling pressure and pain in both my ears so I ended up going to the ER. The doctor there looked at my ears and both were badly infected. She looked at me and said " I don't know how the hell they let you leave this morning without antibiotics or how they missed the infection its really bad".

My dad told me next time to just say my ears were infected to so that they will actually listen to me and this doesn't happen again.

Did the first doctor examine your ears? If not, that's how she missed it. Incomplete physical exams are the reason for a lot of missed diagnoses.

If it really was a sinus infection alone, not giving antibiotics is actually best practice. We're having a horrible time with drug resistant infections because of inappropriate prescribing practices.

However, ear infections in adults are almost always bacterial, and antibiotics ARE appropriate in said cases.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

She did look in them very quickly. A big part of what ticked me off was she just acted like she wanted me out of there quickly and didn't want to listen to my concerns or talk to me about it. She was in the exam room with me for 10 minuets at the most.
      And BTW if she had given me that explication rather than "do you want the prescription I'm willing to give you or not" I would have been willing to accept that and wouldn't be complaining.
      Last edited by tigger222; 04-26-2016, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Quoth tigger222 View Post
        She did look in them very quickly. A big part of what ticked me off was she just acted like she wanted me out of there quickly and didn't want to listen to my concerns or talk to me about it. She was in the exam room with me for 10 minuets at the most.
        And BTW if she had given me that explication rather than "do you want the prescription I'm willing to give you or not" I would have been willing to accept that and wouldn't be complaining.
        Sounds like she made up her mind before she even examined you. That sucks. The problem with our current system is providers have to see a patient every 10 minutes just to keep the lights on. It's breaking health care in the United States.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Reading this makes me appreciate my regular GP even more. He makes you feel like his most important patient and he listens to your concerns. He remembers details about his patients' lives. I pay $50 more than I have to every month so I can keep him in my network. I didn't want another doctor.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

In my opinion, a good GP/family doctor is worth her (or his) weight in gold. Or copper, or titanium, or whatever is the current most valuable-per-gram resource.
            Saffron, perhaps.

Yes, my immigrant-from-India GP would probably like being considered worth her weight in saffron.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              In my opinion, a good GP/family doctor is worth her (or his) weight in gold. Or copper, or titanium, or whatever is the current most valuable-per-gram resource.
              I believe Tritium is the most valuable commercially-available substance.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I'd lay long odds that anti-matter would be right up at the top of the price per atom list. Don't know that it's available commercially, and good luck getting someone's weight of the stuff all together in one spot... It'd make rather a big 'bang'.
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

It'd be OK as long as you kept it away from matter...
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Back charge the GP for the ER visit.
                    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
                    X