Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I card to see who is 21 and seeing the year 1987 is like OMG. Eech, 1990? Haha I was in like second grade by that time...

Its funny when they're all shocked to get carded as you notice they're like a few months above the requirement. Some people get pissed like we should see their age above their heads flashing like an ambulance light or something. Crazy.

Its getting harder to tell people's ages anymore. I just card everybody who looks remotely young. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

Our store does get stung quite often, but I don't think this incident was a sting.

Mostly I feel like it's a bunch of kids who just feel cool and "adult" to be buying cigarettes now. And of course with school starting alot of them are trying to prove to their cliques and groups how cool they are, so they try pulling stunts like buying tobacco underage.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
        I'm still trying to understand why people act so surprised when they're carded. I mean, area stores card. This I know. So why so shocked when I card you? Really, your nicotine fix isn't worth my job or me paying a huge fine.

Plus, you'd think they'd be used to it by now, assuming they regularly buy cigarettes. Hell, I just hand them my state ID and cash/debit card at the same time. Save's both mine and the cashier's time.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
          It makes me wonder why if there are a group of kids, and say only one of them is 18 or older, why would he bring his other under age friends in? You would think they would be wise enough to say, "OK, I'll buy the smokes, and you guys have to stay out of sight." Perfect way to fool a cashier.
          Yup that's what me and my old roommate did. He was 20 and I was 21. So when we went to the store, we'd just go to two different check out lanes, and buy half the groceries each, and we'd just put the alcohol in my half
          <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

I should also point out that she's a couple weeks from having her baby and also rather irritable.
            So... underage and pregnant, trying to buy cigarettes.
            apparently "low birth weight" is now a bonus?

i like getting carded myself. it tickles me when they say that i look like i'm under 25.
            i was buying smokes for a friend almost 4 years ago (he was old enough) and they carded me.

Me: You think I look like I'm under 25?
            Walmart lady: Yes...
            Me: Thank you! I turn 32 next week.
            Last edited by PepperElf; 09-11-2008, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Gah you guys are making me feel old. Of course I get to do that to my coworkers....like the ones who have been carrying since I was...born or before then.

But yea some of those born in the 90's have kids...some married...and I have neither and sometimes get so jealous. But then I remember that I have a job better then them atm.

Comment

I don't get carded much here (only buy alcohol, no cigs) - and I live in a college town. As in, the college comprises 30% of the town's population - maybe more. I'm 25, and I'd say I look it. And I don't get carded. I would think they would be carding pretty much everyone....hm.

After growing up in a 'dry' county, with a two year hiatus in a city with constantly varying laws on alcohol sales, I'm still adjusting to being able to pick up beer at Wal-Mart. Bizarre.
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

This thread makes me feel old.
                  Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Reminds me of a time I was home on leave and a friend I was hanging out with wanted to pick up some liquor. Went to the package store(Iwas twenty at the time I think) and while he was picking up his stuff I went over to the Coke fridge and grabbed one to purchase. The Cashier carded me and told me I was not allowed to purchase it there since I was underage so I asked my friend to get it for me(I probably should have known better) and was told that he couldn't purchase it for me either
                    It just wasn't clicking for me , but then I was somewhat privileged when my stepmother worked at the Package store down the road from my Highschool years earlier and I was allowed to come in after school and grab a coke to drink outside while waiting for her to get off-shift. End of story, I had to drive my friend to another Package store and wait outside while he made his purchase. I could have gone the sucky customer route but I have been bleesed with family in the service industry who have taught me to be a better person.

Comment

Wait, you couldn't buy a soda at the packy b/c you were 20? Damn that store must have gotten in a $*!*load of trouble a while back!
                      Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

More likely the store had recently decided to become more proactive in avoiding trouble for lack of carding. Actually the law reads that you have to be 21 or older to purchase anything in a Liquor/Package store(at least here in FL). I don't fault anyone for doing what's right and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting in trouble for selling non-age controlled items to underage people in a package store. On a side note I used to help my stepmother do inventory in the bar on Sundays when I was about 11 or 12. Of course this was before the blue laws were lifted and the bar was of course closed.

I was at least 25 before I started getting carded regularly, weird.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

i like getting carded myself. it tickles me when they say that i look like i'm under 25.
                          i was buying smokes for a friend almost 4 years ago (he was old enough) and they carded me.

Me: You think I look like I'm under 25?
                          Walmart lady: Yes...
                          Me: Thank you! I turn 32 next week.
                          I should have cleared this up sooner, but it's actually my coworker who was the pregnant one and who refused to sell them the cigarettes. Sorry for the confusion.

Although to be fair I have been forced to sell cigarettes to a number of pregnant woman enough to justify cutting my wrists a few times.

Comment

I used to work at a major alcohol retailer and for obvious reasons the store was super-strict about checking IDs. Now I'm working at a grocery store which is a bit more lenient, but the following thing has happened several times and really pisses me off:
                            1) Two customers in a group and one of them (who looks potentially underage) tries to purchase alcohol or cigarettes.
                            2) I ask for their I.D., which they don't have.
                            3) Another member of the group with I.D. swoops in to buy the alcohol/cigarettes.
                            4) The first person hands the second person cash right in front of me.
                            5) I look the other way and say nothing.

OK, I suppose I can forgive people who've never sold alcohol or tobacco for not understanding the rules, policies, and potential consequences of violating such laws. They wouldn't know that, in this region, you don't card people because they look like they could be under (21); you card people who look like they might be under 30, (or 35 at my previous job). They also would have no reason to understand that the police conduct regular sting operations, and that if you fail: A) The store faces potential fines, suspension or even revocation of their liquor/tobacco licenses and B) Not only are you fired immediately, you are arrested and charged with a misdemeanor resulting in a fine, community service, and/or jail time (~happened to a former co-worker of mine right in front of me, though she deserved it).
                            ^Regardless, just bring your ID. It's a tiny piece of laminated plastic; put it in your wallet or your purse or your pocket. And if you don't have your ID or you're underage, please give your money to the buyer outside or out of sight.
                            Last edited by Applerod; 09-24-2008, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                              A while back I had a pregnant 18 year old (over age for smoking around here) try to get her 13 year old brother to buy her smokes.

Comment

I'm only 21, and I'm a smoker, have been since before it was legal, horrible habit blah de blah, not what the story's about.

I buy cigarettes on a regular basis and I always get carded. I get carded for rated R movies because I look about 16. A couple days ago, my boyfriend and I were at the 7-11. He is first in line and buys his stuff, then I go up, ask for a pack.... and the guy doesn't card me. He just smiled said "you're 18 right?" and rang me up.

That in itself would have made me happy, but then he does card the guy behind me for his purchase. When we got outside I'm dancing all over the place all happy that I looked older than someone. Then my boyfriend says, "Honey, I know you're happy, but he was looking at your chest the whole time, I don't think he really believed you were old enough. He thought he was cutting you a break because you're cute."

Bubble = burst
                                Plus that means he thought he was perving at a minor. Turned the whole thing from a happy dance to a ew.
                                You know that feeling you get when you lean too far back in a chair and you find yourself falling, but catch yourself just in time? I feel like that all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X