Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On behalf of my fellow Minnesotans.....that guy is an arse. Apparently he never heard of Minnesota Nice.

Comment

OH, don't worry. You always need one opposite to prove the rule. Sigh.

Comment

I wonder if he was from St. Olaf...

Comment

I wonder if he was one of the fellows that were reported missing, presumed fallen overboard in the night that I've heard about over the last year. It seems to happen on cruises occasionally. Most were reportedly drunk, but you have to wonder with stories like this...

The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Where are the man-eating sharks when you need them?

Comment

Quoth orcprincess View Post
              are you going to get anyone to clean up that mess.?
              why don't you call someone?

SC: "what? you're above cleaning it yourself?
              All you guys do is complain, and get someone else to do your work. I have been on other ships, and when I make a mess on purpose, and I tell the cleaning boy to clean it, he apologizes immediately, bows his head and does his job.
              "Wait... what? Sir, you just asked me why I hadn't called someone to clean it up. I'm calling someone, and now it's 'Why aren't you on your hands and knees cleaning it up'? Make up your mind, first, and then I might deign to do something to help. In the meantime, I'll be over here following procedure, and 'Calling House Keeping'!"
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth orcprincess View Post

He was from Minnesota,
                We're not all like that, I promise
                And Welcome back to the site /wave
                Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
                  I wonder if he was from St. Olaf...
                  You think he might have been related to Rose?

It would certainly explain Rose.
                  Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I've cruised over 30 times and, while most people bend over backward to be polite to other passengers and staff there are some who undergo a strange sea-change. Possibly because passengers are taken care of so well, some revert to childhood. I saw an otherwise dignified man throw a tantrum worthy of a two-year old when he was served V8 instead of tomato juice at breakfast.
                    Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

It's me again.

I just remembered something.

A few years ago there was quite a flap in cruising circles about Norwegian Cruise Line's Pride of America. The ship served the West coast and Hawaii. It was largely staffed by Americans and the service was almost universally said to be terrible.

Every passenger who's the least observant soon finds that life on board any ship is not fun for the staff, especially those working in F&B or HK. The skinny was that not many Americans would put up with the outrageous hours and low pay. As a result, they were resentful and it showed in the service.

Not that that excused the OPs SC in any way. Suckitude is suckitude.
                      Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Quoth LibraryLady View Post
                        It's me again.

A few years ago there was quite a flap in cruising circles about Norwegian Cruise Line's Pride of America. The ship served the West coast and Hawaii. It was largely staffed by Americans and the service was almost universally said to be terrible.
                        This is true, but in their defence it was also staffed almost entirely by new hires. Also, since it was staffed by Americans (because the ships are flagged US) they were less likely to put up with BS like other ships who hire people from less advantaged nationalities. It is the whole amount of pay to how much suckitude willing to put up with ratio thing.

Comment

Quoth Crow The Robot View Post
                          Where are the man-eating sharks when you need them?
                          Don't forget the frikkin' laser beams on their heads.
                          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Correct you are, Auntiem.

The theory is that the American new hires didn't realize what they were getting into until it was too late and, since they had signed contracts for specific lengths of service, they were effectively stuck.

Among pax Pride of America took on a completely different meaning.

Also, Orcprincess, I think there could be a valid reason for the idiotic sounding question in your sig.

When a ship isn't moving and when the layout is unfamilliar to the passenger, it can be difficult to differentiate the foreward and aft elevator banks. All the more so since these banks often lack any views of the outside. What the passenger might have meant to ask is, "Is this the foreward elevator?"

Comment

Quoth LibraryLady View Post
                              It's me again.

Every passenger who's the least observant soon finds that life on board any ship is not fun for the staff, especially those working in F&B or HK. The skinny was that not many Americans would put up with the outrageous hours and low pay. As a result, they were resentful and it showed in the service.

Not that that excused the OPs SC in any way. Suckitude is suckitude.
                              Well, now that you know who I used to work for.

I worked for that company on 2 of it's 3 ships that sailed around Hawaii. (Pride of Hawaii (RIP) and Pride of America) And yes, it sucked sometimes. I was one of the "luckier" ones who was considered staff because I worked the front desk, and didn't really have to clean up after everyone. I just heard about it all day long if it didn't get done. Ooh, and I got a plate of spaghetti thrown at me, and bath towels...and I was also asked if I could swim because "most black people can't" But, anyway.

I loved my job greatly, but it was the people who came onboard with the negative attitude talking about how they were miserable, and it was our fault that the flights were so long, or it was too hot, too cold, whatever. Give me the chance to help you, and make your vacation special before you come up to me with a string of cuss words, and tell me how me and my company suck, and you've only been on board for 8 minutes!!!

The Pride of America is all that's left. We'll see how long that lasts though.

And, while we did sign up to be there 5 months at a time, you could leave whenever you wanted, you just had to pay your own way home...there was no real "contract" or anything forbidding you to leave. Most people stayed because the beer in the crew bar was cheap, and the friendships you make onboard are sometimes stronger than the ones on land.

As far as my quote. This came from a "well seasoned" cruiser. She knew forward aft, port, starboard. She just didn't want to walk the 47 steps to the forward elevators, and then turn and walk the other direction once she got where she was going....sheer laziness. But for newbies I would understand.
                              Cruise Ship Brilliance: "Do the elevators go to the front of the ship?"

Comment

You know, I've always thought that working on a cruise ship would be something fun to do just once in my life... but then I decided that spending months on end onboard a ship would drive me mad... so I opted to go into the hotel industry, working in a resort would be fun, and there are several nearby that I can commute to and not have to live onsite, best of both worlds.
                                (so I end up working at an airport hotel with 100 rooms and almost no amenities)
                                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                                X