Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canceled my dr appt today and went for some extra groceries instead. That's in addition to the stuff I ordered online because my sis gave me a $10 off + free delivery code for that. What a PITA, it takes almost as long to order online as it does to do it in person.

Expecting 18 to 24 inches of snow by Thursday, plus dangerously-low temps. Sis got tomorrow off (county worker) and possibly Thursday too, but I'm not sure if they are getting paid for that. Still, at least she won't have to stand out there in subzero temps waiting for the bus, which....might not even come.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Meanwhile, here in Oz, many towns are breaking records for longest amount of days over 30 or over 40 celsius.

So I'm going to send over some of our 'dear dog, can we please get a cool change already' heat waves. Late last week the overnight 'low' was 29 celsius. That's 84.2 for all you fahrenheit people.
      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

I am with Irv and Food Lady. I was off work today and tried to start my car this afternoon (new battery) --- no start and I doubt I am going to get it to start on Wed so I may have to miss part of a shift and hope the balmy temps on Friday will greatly help.
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Here in C-ville VA, we seem to be just outside the real vortex area, but we're "only" looking at a low of 10F tonight, and wind chill warnings.

ETA: Oh, FFS. I just went out for a smoke, and was chilly in my sweater and overcoat. One of my Nepalese neighbors came wandering by in short sleeves and short pants.
          Last edited by Mental_Mouse; 01-30-2019, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Here in Chicagoland: I just got off my commuter train and heard the announcement that all service on that line is cancelled.
            At least there is another line within a few miles of where I parked. Uber and taxi from that station will have to do.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I got stuck in a snowdrift on my way home last night. Luckily somebody came along and helped me get pushed out before too long.

I'm calling in sick to work tonight. I can handle a lot of cold but not this.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

For those of you who don't live up north, this might help you understand.

Annotated Thermometer
                New twist on an old joke.

On the serious side...
                Stay safe.
                Stay warm.
                If you don't need to be outside, don't. Unless it is to throw a cup of boiling water in the air. Just make sure you share the video.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Here is XKCD's take on the thermometer annotation. (Among other unit conversions.)

My favorite: -40: Spit goes "clink"
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I've been without a car since Sunday. Well, I'm driving my friend's right now. It was -23F this morning. The wind chill was -40-something. Coworkers were starting their cars 20 minutes before leaving for the day. The snow stopped Monday afternoon and we've had no other precip., but this weekend we're getting ice. *sigh*
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

We've had single digits and sub zero temps, and dangerous wind chills. I've seen more snow in terms of what fell, but it's the blowing and drifting, and the sheer cold, that cause problems.

And it's supposed to be 50 on Monday.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

We were expecting 3 inches of the white stuff from the sky (I still insist that it's nose candy) a couple days ago; we got jack. Just Highs around 40 and lows around 20. People outside of the city proper got at least a dusting. I think it's that we're technically in a minor river valley. Quite often, we've had these major "stay in your house and avoid tall trees"-level thunderstorms headed straight for us, and we get nothing while people ten miles away flood O_O
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Subzero temps yesterday, today and probably tomorrow...I got stuck in the warehouse for half my shift doing inventory pre-counts. In the warehouse is a poorly-shielded vent to the roof and all we have is a crappy little (residential/personal use only, like much of our equipment) space heater that is only effective if you're one foot in front of it. Three layers and I was still cold.

The apartment I'm staying at (house/petsitting) isn't terribly well insulated in the bedrooms...I woke up this morning with a cat snoring on my chest. Which isn't a bad thing...
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

We got enough to make a modest snowball... :P
                            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

My husband [Californian] gets testy - I grew up in the festively named Buffalo Weather Zone - we were known for the 'brisk' winds blowing down off the Canadian tundra over the Great Lakes gathering up humidity and dropping oodles of fluffy white snow on us. I also grew up sleeping in winter with my window slightly open ... I have issues overheating in warm rooms when I try to sleep, I like the bed toasty and the air cold. He grew up thinking 100F or higher is perfectly lovely weather, and I am comfortable sitting around in shorts and a tshirt at 60F.
                              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Got my battery replaced just in time for the weather to warm up and the snow to melt.
                                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                                X