This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookies!(OLD recipes)

My sister got her hands on our great grandmother's cookbook and sent me a couple pics of the pages the cookies she used to make are on. I admit I have selfish reasons for sharing here... I want to have the recipes in enough places if something happens to my computer, I can't log into Photobucket, etc. I can find them again.

Cool ^_^ Seems to be several German-style ones. I can't remember the last time I had Pfefferneusse (hell, I don't even recall the taste).
    Last edited by EricKei; 12-15-2015, 02:01 AM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Wow..I don't remember having to stir Springerle cookies that long when I made them with my mom. Must be the punishment recipe. It was always the waiting that got me into trouble because I'd sneak off after we'd pressed them and they were drying to snag some raw dough. Then again I was six.
      Random conversation:
      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I don't even know what New Orleans molasses is!
        And is soda baking soda? It would make sense, but I don't want to assume.

Comment

The Settlement Cookbook was first published in 1901. Which edition do you have?
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I'm 90% sure that "soda" means "baking soda," yes. Two and a half pounds of flour in that first recipe, though?!? How many cookies is that supposed to make?? o_O;>

"New Orleans molasses" is a type of light molasses with a high sugar content, and it was also a brand name of same at one point (Brer Rabbit New Orleans Molasses). Something similar may still exist, and there's a bakery that uses that as part of its name I found on facebook.

As for the age -- well, they use "citron" as an ingredient -- not sure how easy that is to get in the US these days o_O (one of the original "citrus" fruits)
            Last edited by EricKei; 12-15-2015, 02:12 AM.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Brer Rabbit Molasses still exists. I'm pretty sure DaDairyDruid's store carries it. I remember buying some a long time ago to make Boston Brown Bread, but I never got enough of the right sized cans to make it. I really need to do that. It's something I haven't had in a long time.

Seeing these recipes makes me wish my mom was still around for me to ask because she knew a lot about that. There was one thing she was good at and it was cooking.
              Random conversation:
              Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
              DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                The Settlement Cookbook was first published in 1901. Which edition do you have?
                No idea. My sister took the pictures and sent them to me.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                  Brer Rabbit Molasses still exists
                  My favorite brand. I like the green labelled bottle.

I have a cookbook that is just Christmas recipes. It was compiled in the '60s and contains recipes from all over the world: classic recipes that have been in use for ages.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

fma- It does? Cool ^_^ Oddly enough, I never saw it even when I still lived in New Orleans. I figured that it would have changed names by now due to the unfortunate (Fratching-esque) implications of the name.

Comment

Working...
                    X