This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new bane of my existence: Water resistant phones

Now notice I said Water RESISTANT, NOT WaterPROOF.

For those who may be unaware, the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active, Galaxy S5 and Galaxy S5 active are all certified water resistant. What that means is, in theory, the phone should be able to survive being submerged in up to three or so feet of water for up to 30 minutes.

Notice I said "should be".

Of course even with these fancy new phones, the old wisdom about electronic devices is still true. Namely, keep them the hell away from water whenever possible.

Of course do we will expect SCs will listen?

Firstly, water resistant doesn't mean you can stuff your phone in your swimsuit while swimming for an hour and expect it to work when you're done.

It also doesn't mean you you can let it float in a cooler all day on a fishing trip and expect it to work.

It also doesn't mean that even though you somehow managed to recover your phone from a 45 foot drop into a lake that it should still work.

Probably not a good idea to think you're Mr. cool and shoot a bunch of underwater videos of your friends either.

Also, it's water resistant. WATER.

Just ask the guy who thought'd it be fun to use his phone to record a video from INSIDE his beer mug.

And for the curious:

Coffee is NOT water

Fruit juice is NOT water

Milk is NOT water

Gasoline is NOT water (yes, this actually happened...*sigh*)

I can almost guarantee that whatever genius at Samsung decided to go with a "water resistant" feature had zero experience with SCs.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

The next generations of phones should be SC-resistant. Hey, we can all dream

Comment

The SCs who claim their phone broke due to a flaw even within the supposed parameters of water resistance probably employ the same SC metrics as they do everywhere else, whether it's "I've been waiting for X minutes" or "By my watch it's 8:59. Let me in!"

"I had it underwater for a few minutes!" = "I had it in a pocket during an entire wash cycle."

"It was in a bowl for 5 seconds!" = "My kid/drunk friend flushed it down the toilet and the plumber had to rescue it from the trap."

"It wasn't water, but it still should've survived!" = "I have a vat of sulfuric acid that I really shouldn't be qualified to be anywhere near and the phone dropped in there."
      Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
      Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
      Fiancee: What?!
      Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Ugh. I feel for those of you in the cell phone industry on this topic.

iPhones aren't water resistant yet, but I'm incredibly grateful for OtterBox, as it saved my 13yo's 2 month old 5c when he got shoved into a pool while his phone was in his pocket. But, if it didn't save the phone, I wouldn't have blamed OtterBox. They don't claim the cases are waterproof.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Yeah, During one of the storms, I accidentally dropped my S5 into a puddle as i was getting out of the car. Grabbed it as fast as i could, and it had one of the hard cases on the outside. I didnt let it stay in the puddle. Phone is/was too damn expensive to do that with.

Comment

The proper thing to do is to make them water resistant, but don't advertize it! Then, every time you can salvage something, it looks like a miracle!

Good thing they didn't advertize them as "bullet resistant" , I can just see it now:

Hey Vern! These fancy newfangled phones is bulletproof! Watch! I'll put one in muh breast pocket, and you take a shot at it, and I bet it don't go through!

Dibs on his truck.
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Mine slipped out of my hand picking it up off my desk, took a four inch drop, and shattered. First phone I ever broke. >_<

But it survived being in my pocket as I was thrown in the pool.... Odd yes?

Yay for insurance!

Comment

My Samsung and Sony reps keep telling my staff that the phones are water proof . Luckily I have them trained well enough to know better than that, and we warn the customers as such. Of course they don't always listen.

Comment

IF I get a smart type phone I will get one like I have now ---- a military grade weather resistant drop resistant, shock resistant, water/fluid resistant model (yes I have my eye on one The Kyocera Tourque).

I do not believe some of the dribble the sales persons have laid on me as to the "durability" of certain phones I have looked at. some claim that you can throw the phone HARD against a wall and no damage. some claim the phone will be fine if submerged in water for quite a while, etc.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                  Good thing they didn't advertize them as "bullet resistant" , I can just see it now:

Hey Vern! These fancy newfangled phones is bulletproof! Watch! I'll put one in muh breast pocket, and you take a shot at it, and I bet it don't go through!

Dibs on his truck.
                  From a Patton Oswalt bit (relevant around 2:45)
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs4v-zexx8M
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I've actually been looking for a phone I can use in the shower to record ideas into because that is where I get most of my creative ideas at for projects. Will wait till they come down in price though since all I need it for is that. lol
                    Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

I seem to have the toughest iPhone around at the moment . It's taken quite a few hits and the only damage so far has been to the back cover.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Mystic - If the notes themselves are what's important to you (as opposed to the sound, e.g., for a new tune), they do make waterproof messageboards for showers these days One is called "Steamy Ideas" (not linking b/c it's a commercial site)
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Gasoline?

Wouldn't that have dissolved the plastic?
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                            Gasoline?

Wouldn't that have dissolved the plastic?
                            Yep

Guy was a mechanic/machinist, had a bit of mishap.

Obviously, tough break for the guy, but what made him an SC was his insistence that the water resistance of the phone should have meant it survived the gas...and of course we all know what Willy Wonka would say in response to that.

"If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

This is why I have a waterproof case (Lifeproof cases actually say waterproof, not water resistant). I think even if I had a phone that claimed to be waterproof, it would still be going in the case anyway. I do wish people would learn the difference between the two words. And yes, I still am careful about how much water it gets exposed to. Mostly it's just rain and showers.
                              Last edited by Shangri-laschild; 07-08-2014, 04:57 PM.
                              "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Working...
                              X