Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You mean I'm going to lose everything?! I'll sue!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You mean I'm going to lose everything?! I'll sue!

I'll let the stupidity speak for itself on this one:

Me: Thank you for calling <red checkmark>, how may I help you?
    SC: I tried to change my security PIN earlier today and I thought I remembered the new one I set up but it's not accepting it.
    Me: You've tried every one you can think of?
    SC: Yep, and no luck. I need you to reset it for me.
    Me: I'd love to if I could sir but I have no way to do that.
    SC: What?
    Me: I cannot reset your PIN. It exists only within the phone itself.
    SC: You've got to be kidding me. You can't just press a few buttons on your computer and reset it? You people do that kind of stuff all the time.
    Me: I can reset <red checkmark> account passwords and account access codes but I can't do anything with the phone PIN. It's something you set yourself and if it's forgotten, there's no way to reset it.
    SC: So, you're saying I'm screwed then?
    Me: No, not at all. I can get you back into your phone, but it will require resetting the entire thing, which will erase all your information.
    SC:OH NO!! Not a chance in hell! Do you know how many photos and contacts and how much extremely important information I have on here? There's NO WAY I'm erasing any of it. There must be another way to fix this.
    Me: I'm afraid there isn't. I know it's highly frustrating. if you like--
    SC: No you don't know. You're not the one locked out of your phone!
    Me: I have been before. I can give you the instructions for the reset if you change your mind later.
    SC: NO! No reset! I cannot lose this information!
    Me: You don't have it backed up anywhere?
    SC: No...and I shouldn't need to!
    Me:
    Me: It's always a good idea to have vital information backed up, just in case-
    SC: This phone is SUPPOSED to be reliable!
    Me: I realize that, but--
    SC: No, NO excuses. You need to get me back into this phone NOW!
    Me: I can't.
    SC: UNACCEPTABLE! There must be a way.
    Me: There is, but it will erase your data.
    SC: Not going to happen. I'm fed up with this. You people sold me a DEFECTIVE phone and now you have locked me out from my own information!
    Me: I know you're angry sir, but if I may suggest -
    SC: You're damned right I'm angry! Expect to hear from my lawyer. *click*

Seriously people, I don't know how many times I have to say this:

BACK YOUR STUFF UP!

Oh, and don't depend entirely on ONE phone either.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

What a charming gentleman. HE was the one who messed up, no one else. It's entirely his own fault.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
      What a charming gentleman. HE was the one who messed up, no one else. It's entirely his own fault.
      Isn't it funny how in a SC's mind, it is impossible for him to be at fault? I mean, he could have purposely set his phone on fire and it would be Red Checkmark's fault.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I would put a note in his account that he's threatened legal action, so any further contact from him should be referred directly to your company's legal team.

And... who the HELL gets 'my phone is defective' out of 'I'm an idiot who can't remember what password I set on my phone'? Good gods, some people.
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I love to see what sort of "lawyer" is going to take his case...

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
            Agreed, but of course since <red checkmark> sold him the phone and it doesn't have a magic unlock code in it to get his stuff, we're the bad guys.

I've actually had people suggest that they should put some kind of universal override code in the phones that would let you in if you forgot your PIN.

They always seem shocked when I point out to them that doing that would defeat the purpose of having a PIN in the first place.
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Curious if this was an Android phone - generally you can unlock using your google account (assuming they remember their google password....)
              How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

I back up my info with good old pen and paper...and my photos are backed up on flash drives.
                Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                  hey always seem shocked when I point out to them that doing that would defeat the purpose of having a PIN in the first place.
                  Especially since no one can EVER keep information like that a secret. Once someone figures out the master PIN it would get onto the internet faster than a whippet with a bum full of dynamite.
                  I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                    Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                    Isn't it funny how in a SC's mind, it is impossible for him to be at fault? I mean, he could have purposely set his phone on fire and it would be Red Checkmark's fault.
                    Well, yeah - to some people, "fault" is something that always applies to someone else.

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                    Agreed, but of course since <red checkmark> sold him the phone and it doesn't have a magic unlock code in it to get his stuff, we're the bad guys.
                    If a store DID have a universl PIN that worked on all phones, I'd be MORE likely to consider them "the bad guys." I'm sure such a code would proliferate online to, well, everybody - within a few days of its creation, anyway.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, being able to mess with a customers phone settings remotely when they don't want you to makes you just as big a bad guy than when you aren't able to mess with a customers phone settings remotely when they DO want you to.

Ya can't win, might as well not even try.
                      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

How much do you wanna bet that the phone isn't even his?
                        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth TimmyHate View Post
                          Curious if this was an Android phone - generally you can unlock using your google account (assuming they remember their google password....)
                          It was but I believe you can only do that if you've set up Android device manager...and most of my customers seem to miss that step.

Comment

Would you be so kind as to explain how to do that, please? I might very well wind up needing to know.
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I'm just curious ... Over here if you lock your phone by entering the incorrect PIN three times, you can enter the so called Personal Unblocking Key (PUK) to unlock the phone again without losing anything. The PUK, which comes with the SIM card upon purchase, basically is a way to prove that this is indeed your SIM card. So there will be no harm done if you lock yourself out of your phone, provided you didn't throw away the PUK (or forgot where you put it ).
                              Do your SIM cards work differently?
                              “If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”
                              ― Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Comment

Working...
                              X