This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer Can't Do Math, So She Yells At Me

The market where I work really likes to use that pricing system that supposedly encourages the customer to buy multiple units of an item. So, ad items are 2 for $5, 2 for $4, 4 for $10, and so forth. But, you only need to buy one item to get the sale price. So if you buy one item at 2 for $4, it's $2 each.

Customer comes up to me, and I can tell she's annoyed. She shows me the ad flyer, and points to a frozen meal that is in the ad.

C: This item is on sale for 2 for $4. But the signs on the shelf say it's more than that.
    me: OK. I'm sorry. Let me take a look and figure out what's going on.

We walk to the item. The sale tags on the shelf read 5 for $10.

me: OK. I see. I'm sorry about that, I can see how that can be confusing. But 5 for $10 is actually the same price as in the ad.
    C: (She lets out an annoyed sigh and shoves the ad in my face) NO! It's not!! The ad says 2 for $4!

Despite her raising her voice at me, I'm actually still OK about it. I figure I'll quickly explain it to her, and the light bulb will go off in her head and we'll both have a nice little laugh about it. Right?

me: Ma'am, I understand it is confusing. The sign should read 2 for $4, instead of 5 for $10, but they are both the same price. Both prices are $2. They're the same.
    C: What!! No! The ad says it's 2 for $4!
    me: Yes. That's $2 each. Which is also 5 for $10.
    C: (Her eyes get big, she turns and walks away) You've got to be kidding me!

I don't think she ever figured it out.

keanu-woah.jpg.

Next time, bring a label gun and make up a "2 for $4" label on the spot. XD

"There ya go ma'am, all fixed."
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth SixFortyK View Post
      I don't think she ever figured it out.
      Actually, it sounds like maybe she did, but didn't want to admit she was wrong.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
        Actually, it sounds like maybe she did, but didn't want to admit she was wrong.
        This is what I was thinking. Customers will suddenly realise they're wrong and either just walk off without uttering an apology, or yell at you even more just so they don't have to feel small...

Comment

Ego. The biggest problem in the world...

Comment

Man, and I thought my math skills were bad . . . .
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

It's worse at "Nadir" Supermarkets... they delight in pricing their 12-pack soda cans at 3 for $11, 4 for $13, and so on, thereby making it harder to do the math in your head. Sometimes they do both, for different brands, so it's even difficult to compare prices between them.

And occasionally, but not always, they have it set up so that you do have to buy that many to get the sale price, but if you only get one 12-pack, it's $4.99. I wonder how many people don't realise that until they get to the checkout, then either say #%&! it, I'll get it anyway, or else continue to not notice until after the sale (if then).

What the hell am I going to do with 48 cans of soda, anyway? A couple weeks ago I got one of these offers: $4.99 each, 4 for $10, must buy four. I grumbled a bit, then loaded up my cart and checked out. I watched as the screen counted up: $4.99, $9.98, $14.97, $10.00. I still have at least half of that soda rattling around the house.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                What the hell am I going to do with 48 cans of soda, anyway?
                I have many customers who go through a 12pack or more a day. One lady buys a pack of "Tab" every day to mix with her rum. How she still survives is a mystery.

Comment

I don't drink coffee, so soda is my source of caffeine, and I don't drink alcohol, so it's my source of after-work refreshment too.

I go through a LOT of it.

So much it's a wonder I'm not diabetic.

And I know I'm not the standard, so, exactly what you'd do with a 12 pack, let alone a 48 if it's not for a weekend party, I have no idea either.
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Firecrackers Not Included View Post
                    I have many customers who go through a 12pack or more a day. One lady buys a pack of "Tab" every day to mix with her rum. How she still survives is a mystery.
                    That much alcohol acts as a preservative after awhile...
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                      I don't drink coffee, so soda is my source of caffeine, and I don't drink alcohol, so it's my source of after-work refreshment too.

I go through a LOT of it.

So much it's a wonder I'm not diabetic.

And I know I'm not the standard, so, exactly what you'd do with a 12 pack, let alone a 48 if it's not for a weekend party, I have no idea either.

Tell me about it... I have a physical addiction to Diet Coke and it's nothing to laugh at. I drink it like water. I can only imagine the damage it's doing to my internals.

I do try to drink water or tea sometimes but I seriously need to go cold turkey on the Diet Coke. And it's the only flavor I like... Coke Zero, Diet Pepsi, none of them taste "right" to me. I actually avoid certain restaurants because I know they don't serve Diet Coke, like KFC. I always get drive-through so I can have my Diet Coke at home.

Comment

I had a similar thing happen the other day. I rang up a guy's 5 oranges, using the code on the sticker.
                        They rang up .99 each.
                        He barks: "The sign says they are 4 for $5.00!!"
                        It took a second for it to hit me.
                        I said "OK, but the way it rang up, you're getting 5 for $5.00, so it's actually cheaper this way.."
                        He paused and grunted at me. "Well, the sign is misleading.."

*sigh* of course it is....and you're stupid. have a nice day

Comment

I buy soda in bulk, then stash it in the garage. Otherwise, my kids will go through a 12-pack in two days or less.

I have one store I really like because they carry a lot of gluten free foods, but they do the thing with soda where you have to buy 3 or 4 to get the discounted price. And this would be fine, but they run out of the one I want (Real Sugar Pepsi or Throwback Pepsi or Real Sugar Dr. Pepper) the first day. They don't stock much of it anyway, and it's gone as soon as they post a sale.
                          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                          HR believes the first person in the door
                          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                          Document everything
                          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

On Tab? Yes, that is quite a wonder.

I lost quite a bit of weight in the Spring and early summer by kicking soda cold turkey during Lent. I fell off the band wagon the past few weeks helping Evil Empryss move (I just needed the caffeine and soda is so refreshing when you're hot), but now that the move is over I'm back to quitting cold turkey so I don't gain any of the weight back (with all the activity I actually managed to lose a bit more).

Soda is my crack cocaine.
                            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Inconceivable! It's been years since I've seen Tab in the grocery stores. I hope she uses a cheap rum because that would be a waste of good rum.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X