This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did WHAT?

So today I'm opening up the store and I get an interesting printout.

For you to understand this, I'm going to have to go into some background about Hollywood Video.

The first thing is part of the opening procedure. As soon as we flip on the computer, we get a nice set of printouts from corporate. One of them, called "30 days to H-status," tells us to call customers who have had movies out for a long-ass amount of time, about thirty days to be precise.

The second thing is that we cannot perform transactions without having an account open. Because some people come in wanting to buy candy, soda, popcorn, or sell-through DVDs, we have a "cash" account. Obviously, this account is flagged so that you cannot rent movies on it. The first name on the account is "CASH ONLY." The last name on the accout is "NO RENTALS."

Obvious stuff.

So lately the recovery screen has started popping up when we use the cash account, telling us that the cash account (us) needs to return a movie. Today, the "30 days to H" printout had the cash account listed on it.

One feature of the "30 days" printout is that it tells you which employee performed the rental transaction. Guess whose name is on the printout under the cash account? Moi.

I blame sunspots.

I have a sinking feeling that I'm going to catch hell for this. The best defense I've got going for me is that I'm just not stupid enough for it to be true - I've worked there long enough to know that I would get caught if I tried to rent out a movie on that account. There are a few people at the store I don't get along with, so for a second I suspected foul play...it would have been possible to use my register to do a transaction while I was shelving movies or whatever. I feel so paranoid even speculating on that, but just because I think that they're out to get me doesn't mean they aren't, y'know? After ten or fifteen seconds of gut-wrenching panic, my usual snarkiness came back and I realized that the people that have it out for me aren't smart enough to cook up a hot pocket, much less a plan to get me axed.

Boyfriend says it's probably just a computer glitch. Does anyone with more technical know than me* know if it could be a glitch? Any ideas that don't include sabatoge and/or solar activity?

(*Note: "Anyone with more technical knowhow than me" includes about 90% of the adult population, dolphins, my hamster, stoats, dust bunnies, and some of your smarter varieties of snake. Feel free to take a stab at figuring out what the hell happened.)

Doesn't that account prevent you from scanning movies altogther? And need a managers code to access? It's been ages since I worked there but I can't figure out how that's possible...

Comment

You don't need a manager's code to access the account at my store, but you would need one to take down the flag that prevents movies from being checked out on it.

I happen to have a manager's code.

Still, nobody knows my password, so for someone to have checked out the movie on my computer they would have had to do it while I was away from the cash wrap. I know I should log out, but they have us all pretty well conditioned to press the manual entry button so that the computer doesn't log out. If it logged out, the customer might have to wait ten seconds for me to input my password, and that's poor service. I usually remember to press the "change salesperson" button before I leave the counter, especially if I'm on with certain Choice Coworkers, but sometimes I forget.

I've been giving it a decent amount of thought and I'm still baffled.

Comment

Sorry to say it but it sounds like you may have still been logged in, another employee jumped on while you were away and rang a customer up under the Cash account.

When dealing with stuff like this it's just better to let the customer wait a minute while you log in, if they get pissed who the hell cares? they were obviously jerks anyways. It's really just a way to cover your own ass for situations just like this. I know because I've had similar happen to me when I used to work Layaway at Wal Mart, several people shared passwords to cash registers and Telzons because management was to lazy to set up newbies (one being me) with their own passwords and log ins.
        "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

I'm thinking sabotage, myself. Especially since it wouldn't have taken much technical expertise to do it, with your account already up on the register.

Might be just a goof on someone's part, but my cynicism says otherwise.

Comment

It may be a co-worker and still not be sabotage. A co-worker might have just been pulled over to help and your computer was the closest one during the rush.

I do like the solar activity one though. Let's see them try to disprove it!
            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Okay, I've got one.

Now, I work at BBV but I get enough HV returns to know you guys use the same stupid barcode stickers we use.

Customers think it's funny to pull them off and change them around. We get it all the time.
              So, perhaps some jerk peeled a rental sticker and put it on a PRP? The result- you scan a movie thinking your selling it when in reality you rented it.
              "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
              HellGate: London

Comment

Is there a way to find out what movie was rented? Then you can check how many you should have in the store, and how many you actually DO have in the store. That way you can find out if it's there or not there, in case, it's like NA said, and someone was playing with stickers.

But, honestly, I think someone saw that you were logged in, and helped themselves or a friend to a free movie at your expense.

Jenni
                SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

We can find out which movie, but if memory serves, it was indeed missing.

Personally, I think it was a computer glitch. Although, bars.of.a.rhyme and I do have some co-workers that wouldn't mind seeing BOTH of us out of the way.

Comment

Quoth NightAngel
                    Okay, I've got one.
                    So, perhaps some jerk peeled a rental sticker and put it on a PRP? The result- you scan a movie thinking your selling it when in reality you rented it.
                    Someone might try it, but our PV barcodes are completely different from our rental barcodes, and I should know, because I do more than my share of the PV pulls.

Quoth Greenday
                    It may be a co-worker and still not be sabotage. A co-worker might have just been pulled over to help and your computer was the closest one during the rush.
                    That's ok, sometimes other people's terminals get used. Still, nobody in my store would do this accidentally - you can't do it accidentally, there are too many roadblocks to get around. It may not have been malicious (someone stealing a movie as opposed to trying to get me fired), but if it wasn't a glitch it certainly was no accident.

With regards to trying to get a free movie, if they wanted to just rent a movie without returning it, they could have easily just TAKEN it. If I was far enough away to miss the fact that someone did this on my account (if someone did), I was far away enough to miss someone slipping a movie into their purse. Everyone knows where the "blind spots" not covered by the cameras are. It would be very easy to take a movie around the side of the cash wrap as if you were going to shelve it and then slip it into your bag, located on the same side of the register.

It would also be very easy for a manager to slip twenty dollars out of their GSR's drawer on the way into the office to count it. This would be useful for both getting the GSR fired and also going out to dinner later.

Long story short, I pointed out my name on the printout to my manager, and I flatly told him "I did not do this, I don't care what it says, it wasn't me." He said "Ok." I hope that "Ok" means "I believe you and will not pursue this issue any further," vs. "I don't want to talk about this now."

Comment

Knowing our manager, it means the former.

Comment

Working...
                      X