This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Snow York City!

Blizzard is on its way apparently!Wrap up warm and send us a snowball over!

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/weather/top...=mailsignoutmd
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Meanwhile, in Denver, it will top out at 70 today and 72 tomorrow. We (and by extension the SW United States, pretty much everything that used to belong to Mexico) need more snow that we've been getting. Snowmelt in Colorado (more rivers have their headwaters here than in any other state) is how a LARGE portion of some very populated areas get their water.

I offered to trade my weather for NYC's, via my Brooklyn resident cousin. He declined, he wants an excuse to stay in for a couple of days.

Jerk. :P

Comment

I may bitch about snow here in Minnesota, but, at least, we don't get 3 feet all at once.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Still waiting for the snow to start in the upper-mid Hudson Valley. There's a sort of ominous feeling in the air. I'm excited - gonna hit the slopes Wednesday! My hill is only getting 8-14", so once that's groomed it'll be gorgeous!

Comment

I worked an extra in Rockland County today, before my regular shift in Orange County, further north. There were a couple inches fell in Rockland in the morning, but by the time I got out at 4 it had basically stopped. All the way up to Orange and all the way back at the end of my shortened shift (usually 4 hours, today 2-1/2 because they closed early) there was just nuthin'. Thruway was wide open, both directions.

Of course $DEITY knows what's going to be tomorrow. I can hear the wind outside my home office window wailing away, but there's nothing for it to blow around as of yet. Kid 2 is off; waiting to hear from Kid 1's school so I know whether I have to get up to drive carpool or not.

ETA: Just got the e-mail. Kid1 is also off. So is my wife. This means all four of us can sleep in tomorrow. Woo hoo.

Now I just want to go get my jack out of the garage before it starts snowing again. (Why? I want to try and jack up that one radiator that gurgles because of a sag in the supply pipe.)
          Last edited by Shalom; 01-27-2015, 01:35 AM.

Comment

3 ft.

Pffft.

We're sending heavy duty snow equipment down there. We aren't using it
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

So my town went from a predicted 14-18 inches to 2 inches at most. Not a single flake of snow so far.
              "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

NH here, we're in a "wait and see" mindset right now. Snow's falling steadily, and wind is picking up. I work for the State, and all non-essential staff have been told to stay home tomorrow, so I'm gonna curl up with a good book.
                The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

The news up here has been flashing huge banners talking about "BLIZZARD 2015". I see them and chuckle as I sit here in Western Canada with my currently 16c (61f) temps and shake my head at the pandemonium a little snow causes.

Comment

I feel bad for Argabarga. He is going to have to tow people who were not smart enough to stay home (or forced to be out). Also, special mention to Police, Fire, Medical, and Road Crews. When I worked in a Nursing home, I was told that I would still be required to show up to work no matter what the conditions were outside. Then, I was told that the Maintenance man lets people sleep in his guest house for free when a storm is coming (or the couch in the Assisted Living facility). I even had a special ID card that would let me past National Guardsman if they were called out. All this to make sure the residents and staff were feed, I was a Dietary Aid in the kitchen (dishwasher and server).

Makes me not hate Tornadoes as much. They are so rare, and the damage is (usually) limited to one city. Thus, allowing surrounding communities to send aid and support quickly. But a snowstorm like this, it is a region wide disaster. Requiring National aid and support.
                    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                      I feel bad for Argabarga. He is going to have to tow people who were not smart enough to stay home (or forced to be out). Also, special mention to Police, Fire, Medical, and Road Crews. When I worked in a Nursing home, I was told that I would still be required to show up to work no matter what the conditions were outside. Then, I was told that the Maintenance man lets people sleep in his guest house for free when a storm is coming (or the couch in the Assisted Living facility). I even had a special ID card that would let me past National Guardsman if they were called out. All this to make sure the residents and staff were feed, I was a Dietary Aid in the kitchen (dishwasher and server).
                      That's how my sister's place is. It's a senior living home that has one floor of assisted living. During Hurricane Sandy, I drove us in the middle of the storm to her work since she didn't feel safe. I've never taken so many backstreets because of downed wires and poles and trees before.

Saw the state of emergency has been removed. I have a delayed opening for 9am today. We didn't get a lot of snow, but it was enough to cover the streets and they aren't plowed. I'm going to take my sweet time getting to work and if anyone has something to say about it, I'll be just as happy to get back in my car and go home.
                      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Arga is far enough out that this storm wasn't expected to hit there with any intensity, I think.

We're now looking at 4-8". Still respectable, but not the monster. My local meteorologists said the storm took the less-likely, lower-impact track.

Sister's place in north-central Mass is looking at 2+ feet already.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                          We're now looking at 4-8". Still respectable, but not the monster. .
                          OK Alex I'll take 'mediocre chat-up lines' for $200....
                          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                            So my town went from a predicted 14-18 inches to 2 inches at most. Not a single flake of snow so far.
                            Happened to me a few years ago working for the public school system here in the Denver area. Forecast of at least 12" of snow (30cm), so at 9pm the night before they cancelled classes.

Woke up to 3 inches of snow. Still got paid for the day.

Now I work for a company that likely will ask me to take home equipment to work from home if we get a forecast of a blizzard here, even though most of the IT department is in Salt Lake, and that giant pile of rocks between Denver & SLC prevents the same blizzard from paralyzing both cities. They get hit, we wont' get much because of the mountains, if we get clobbered, the low is down in New Mexico and Texas, and won't affect them as much.

Denver is SO overdue for a blizzard like Boston is getting.

Comment

Yeah, just got a text from my sister- they're at 3' and still going. We're mostly just getting wind, and I'm sitting at work, bored. But that's a story for MiM or CoC.

Comment

Working...
                              X