This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Library Merging with the County

The director of children's programs for the county library and their techie came in to the library today. The DCP gave us the bulletin board items, fliers, and poster for the county's summer reading program. I am not impressed in the least little bit.

Here is the flier for the children's summer reading program:
    ~-~-~-~
    (Summer Reading Program Name)

When: Starts June 17, 2011 and goes till August 12, 2011!!!!

Who: Kids 12 Years Old and Younger!!!!

What is Summer Reading: It's simple. First Off, It's Fun!
    Secondly You Sign-Up and Get Free Prizes. You Read 10 Hours, Then Take Your Reading Record To Your Local Library Branch And Get More Free Prizes. Read 10 More Hours For A Total of 20 Hours, Then Take Your Reading Record To Your Local Library Branch And Get More Free Prizes. After Reading 20 Hours, You Will Be Put Into A Drawing To Win Items Such As MP3 Players, Gift Certificates And Much, Much More!!!!!!!!!!

Also If You Are To Young To Read We Have A Special Program Set Up For You. Instead Of Hours Read, It Is The Times Your Parents Or Guardians Read To You ( This Program Is Eligible for Sign-Up, 10 Times and 20 Times Prizes, But Not The Drawing)!!!!

~-~-~-~
    TL;DR - Gah, that physically hurt me to type that. The teen flier (Teens 13 - 18 Years Old!!!!!!) is pretty much the same way. 95% of the people in the town will not take the time to read that flier.

DCP also gave us the list of programs for kids and teens in calendar form:

Folktales & Crafts- 12 and Under
    Games from Around the World- 12 and Under
    Summer Movie "Tangled"- 12 and Under
    Summer Movie "Ever After: A Cinderella Story"- 12 and Under
    Kids Gaming with the Wii and More- 12 and Under
    Dream Catcher Craft- 12 and Under
    Summer Movie "Megamind" - 12 and Under
    Summer Reading Finish Blowout - 12 and Under

Note that there is nothing scheduled for teenagers. Also, Ever After is not an appropriate movie for the under 12 crowd as it is PG-13. I feel if you are going to show a movie in a setting such as the library aimed at the 12 and under, it should be rated G. There are several G movies they could have selected that would have fit the summer reading theme. Tangled is kind of pushing it at PG.

Now, all those events start at 2:00 PM... If you remember, the library does not open until 2:30 PM -and- they have said they will not change our hours. The calendars are printed and copied. J told CPD, and CPD said they 'goofed' and 'should have called about the time.' Gee, you think? CPD said to have the first program at 2 and then scratch out the rest and put 3 PM (there isn't enough room to do that).

I wonder where/how they are going to play the Wii. I've torn apart the kid's section, History section, and main library. The only power outlets are behind the checkout desk, in the computer room, and by the copier. I have not found one in the kid's room or in the history section. J said if there is one in there, it is blocked by a bookcase. There is one in the main part of the library, but it doesn't work. There is a projection screen, but no projector. There isn't a TV in the library either.

The games from around the world program is not going to go well either- there isn't room for the kids to run around in the library. The library is on a point, there isn't any parking spaces- people have to park on the street. It isn't safe for the kids to play inside nor is it safe for them to run around outside.

Also, the 'Dream Catcher' (really should be spelled dreamcatcher) craft is insensitive. There is a huge Native American tribe in the county I am in. DCP said they were making that craft in order to attract the Native American kids into the program. Dreamcatchers are from the Ojibwe/Chippewa tribe- not the local tribe. The local tribe generally looks down on dreamcatchers. One of the patrons saw the calendar and made a negative comment about the dreamcatcher craft. I don't want to get into it here, I'll take it to Fratching.

I really think merging into the county system is a bad thing- and I was all for it in the beginning.

I really looked at the calendars today. On the August one, there is a photo of the devil hand sign (see- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_of_the_horns ) in smoke.

Comment

agghhh! The multiple exclamation mark curse! Seriously, I hate that, and multiple question marks too - it just makes things look unprofessional. (However in non professional communication I don't care.)

The rest of that flyer makes my head hurt.
      Last edited by Gizmo; 06-07-2011, 08:18 PM.
      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
        agghhh! The multiple exclamation mark curse!
        As Pratchett says, multiple exclamation points are a sure sign of insanity
        Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
        What's the difference?
        We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

J said the parents hated DCP last year. DCP made several children cry. Also, even though DCP scheduled (putting it on a calendar), to show movies last year, they never did. It makes me wonder what DCP is going to do this year. Thankfully, I have two of the three movies DCP put on the calendar and the equipment needed to show them if DCP decides to not show up like they did last year.

Comment

Working...
          X