This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain's Norovirus Explosion

Wow! 1.1 million reported cases! I do hope they discover the reason for the epidemic! Could it be something from that pub grub distributor [can't remember the name but they are pretty much universal in supplying frozen preportioned pub grub]? I knew that several people on the message boards I inhabit are down with the plague, but I didn't know that it was hitting the Isles so hard. With a population of 64 million and change, that is one hell of an epidemic.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

I had to look up the symptoms for it, and am I glad the bug going around here seems to either be a regular cold on steroids or a weak flu and it's all sinus and such related and not stomach.

I got hit over the weekend with it, and it seems like I'm getting over it more quickly than my friends.

Comment

Quoth Dasota View Post
      I had to look up the symptoms for it, and am I glad the bug going around here seems to either be a regular cold on steroids or a weak flu and it's all sinus and such related and not stomach.

I got hit over the weekend with it, and it seems like I'm getting over it more quickly than my friends.
      That is doing the rounds too, I got it mildly and had a chest infection that was caught early and cleared up with meds, but my sister (Lady Legira) got the same thing and it floored her and then she got a chest infection too and spent the last five days in hospital (she literaty just got out, like an hour ago )
      Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

The annoying thing is that its just *worse* than most we've had for years so more people are going off sick and to the doctors with it. I'm not sure there is a more deep cause than that really.

Its also coming back around and reinfecting people too - quite a few friends have had it twice as they've had it for two weeks, partners got it just as they are getting over it and then they get it back as partner is getting over it. Trying not to come down with it myself as that will be the last nail in my work coffin.
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I've had stomach bugs and I've had the Norovirus.

It's been over 10 years since I got it but I still remember it vividly.

What I remember most is the debilitating abdominal pain that went along with the virus. Most stomach bugs cause vomiting and diarrhea. The Norovirus does this too but it also causes severe abdominal pain.

The day I got sick was the last day of classes before Christmas break at college. Fortunately I had all my coursework done before I fell ill.

The day after I had to ride on a train for 5 hours to go home for the holidays. I still felt like crap, but at least the vomiting had stopped. It took me I think almost two weeks to fully recover and regain the weight I lost (nearly 10 lbs).
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Isn't there a vaccine for this?

Down here it's part of the routine schedule.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Japan got hit with it. Not 1 million, but its on the radar, since hospitals all over the country are getting fatalities from the children and elderly who got it.

Comment

We just had a report on the news about this. Do. Not. Want.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Wow ... if you Google 'norovirus' under 'news' ... there's a helluva lot there ...

Comment

It hasn't turned up in this area yet, and I'm really hoping it doesn't...not fun!!
                    I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                      Isn't there a vaccine for this?

Down here it's part of the routine schedule.
                      Not really. Even the flu vaccines around here always seem to turn out to cover the wrong strains when they look at the stats the following year.

Let alone the matter that only a low proportion of people get offered the flu vaccine as they are in a risk group (of which I'm not sure the take up is that high) and an even lower proportion seem to get it done if not automatically offered it.
                      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
                        Not really. Even the flu vaccines around here always seem to turn out to cover the wrong strains when they look at the stats the following year.

Let alone the matter that only a low proportion of people get offered the flu vaccine as they are in a risk group (of which I'm not sure the take up is that high) and an even lower proportion seem to get it done if not automatically offered it.
                        There was an article in the paper here last week that said the flu vaccine doesn't even really offer much protection. In order to stop the spread of flu they have to vaccinate quite a large number of people; otherwise it doesn't have much effect on the overall number of people who get it.

The way I look at it, though, is if I get the shot at least I won't get it.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Highest rates of norovirus in a country where hand washing is particularly bad? Couldn't possibly see a link there...
                          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            The way I look at it, though, is if I get the shot at least I won't get it.
                            Don't bet on it. I got the flu shot back in November, at my doctor's suggestion. A week ago today I caught it, and I'm still in hell.

If the flu virus wants you, it will get you. (the bastard...)
                            my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
                            it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

Working...
                            X