This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I try to get the job?

There is a restaurant that's been around for awhile. A sushi/japanese cuisine based. Never ate there, but whatevs.

For the past year, at least once a month almost, (sometimes twice) I see them posting for help on craigslist for waitress. I dunno if this means a high turnover, or if they just never get the help they needed.

If its the high turnover, that worries me a bit, but I need the extra money for a few months due to the new apartment. I'll be taking this as a second job, since I'm still at the Freeplace, even if my hours are not the greatest.

Should I attempt it? If its the high turnover, I will look into why it is so, and then keep my eye out for different job, but...I want to see what other people think

Definitely apply for it. Just because you apply for it doesn't mean you have to take it. And even if you take it, if it turns out to be a nightmare situation, you can always quit.

There are many reasons why they may have high turnover. Management could be a nightmare, of course, but they may also be demanding (in a good way) and just do not find people that meet their high expectations.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

It's possible they get a lot of people in your situation as well, just looking for a few months worth of work, or college students who come and go..

Can't hurt to apply. If you get an interview, look for red flags that might indicate the management is the problem. If something seems off, don't take it.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

An acquaintance of mine once got a job at a Sushi-Go-Round place. She was under the impression that all she would have to do is clear tables and pocket tips. When she found out that there was much more she quit. Lasted about a week.

High turnover is a bad sign, but not always the businesses fault.

Comment

The turnover could be that the tips aren't very good because they aren't very busy. I know we don't go out for sushi as much as we used to - can't afford it.
          Or, if this kind of turnover started a year ago, they lost their sushi chef and the new one isn't as good?
          I also agree with Jester - they could just have high expectations. For example, when my sis was a sushi chef (yes, a girl one) the restaurant where she worked had excellent waitstaff - because if you weren't really good at your job you didn't have it for long.

Comment

Good suggestions here. Definitely give it a try. If it doesn't work out, you can always walk away.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
              Good suggestions here. Definitely give it a try. If it doesn't work out, you can always walk away.
              Agreed....If you walk, it won't be anything they haven't seen.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

looks like i will have to get another job anyways. my first one's business is going reallllly down. I'm worried

Comment

Working...
                X