This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom with handicapped son wanted free parking

When "Andrea" became the director of parking & transportation about 2 years ago she decided that handicapped parkers have to pay for their parking. The only exception is if the person takes classes on campus & buys a university issued handicapped parking tag.

The mom with the handicapped son drove up to the booth window a couple of weeks ago wanting to park. I told her it was $5.00 to exit. She was shocked, & so I told her she can either pay at 1) the parking office or 2) at the vending machine on the garage level.

She arrived again yesterday & told me campus police told her that handicapped parking is free & that they let her out for free the day before because according to them she should not have been paying. Her son was there to buy his books. So I call the parking office. "Melissa" answers the phone. I explain to her the entire situation. She asks me if her son has a university issued handicapped parking tag. I ask his mother. She says he goes to class online. I get back to "Melissa" & I tell her what his mother told me. She tells me the mom has to pay the $5.00 to exit. I tell her that, & she asks me if I could ask the parking office if she can park for free since campus let her out for free the day before. I ask "Melissa", & she says no. I tell her I was told no. She decides to drop her handicapped son off in front of Visitor parking. He was not in a wheelchair. He walked inside the garage.

She exits, but notices that the open sign is on & that the exit gate in front of Visitor parking is up. I had already notified the parking office about that. The exit gate does that, but according to the parking office, we cannot tell anyone parking is free when that happens. The customer still has to pay for their parking since they parked in a parking spot. She pulls up to the booth window & says "I see that the open sign is on & the exit gate is up. Does that mean parking is free?" I tell her that according to the parking office, we cannot tell anyone parking is free when that happens. If she decides to park, she has to pay for her parking since she parked in a spot. She looks at the exit gate, at the open sign, at me & says "that does not make any sense. The open sign is on & the exit gate is up. You do understand that." I repeat myself, & I say "if you have any questions about that, you can ask the parking office." She leaves.
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 07-11-2009, 01:32 PM.
Working...
X