This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just think about it...

So I'm talking to a regular "customer" ie the typical I-read-it-on-the-internet-so-I-know-it-all type, about a particular high-end camera that I own.

KIA: Oh it's crap.
    Me: Why do you say that?
    KIA *spouts of several semi-meaningless numbers related to the specifications and compares them to a model almost twice the price*
    Me: Have you actually used one before?
    KIA: I've only heard good things from people get have actually used one, everyone else trashes it.
    Me:.... Doesn't that tell you something?
    KIA:...
    Me: Have a think about what you just said...

Unfortunately he didn't quite get the point.....

And that is why

I only thrashed Windows 8 after I used it for a day and even then I saw some good ideas in the system but hated how it was implemented.

I understand 8.1 is better and refuse giving my opinions to others until I have a chance to use it for a day too.

PS. About the camera, everyone who owns one loves it, everyone who does not own one thrashes it. Sound like envy to me.
    Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 07-08-2014, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Oh, but he did think about it, and, the fact that so many people buy it, and are HAPPY with it is just PROOF of how stupid they all are compared to him! Because he, the frustrated mega-genius he is, knows the RIGHT way to feel about it, namely, it's crap and overpriced, and only a FOOL would deign otherwise.

Yeah, I've met a couple people like that, and at the end of the day, they always seem to wonder why nobody wants to hang out with them...

"Product A is garbage,it's incredible they want so much for it!"
      "If it's garbage, how come it's the best selling product of it's class?"
      "Because people are STUPID! They should refuse to buy it until it costs less!"
      "Product B already costs that, and people still prefer A, they're willing to pay more because they like it"
      "No, it's because they're STUPID! And they make life hard for me because since they pay too much, I have to pay too much too! There's no incentive to drop the price because these morons will overspend!"

Yeah, that's it, sure.
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I hate those sort of people.

A friend and I took our kids up to the snow at Lake Mountain yesterday, in total 11 people*. Once there, we drag out our cameras, attach what I lovingly call the bazookas (70-200 f2.8) and start taking photos.

We had some random woman come up and start bitching at us for having such big lenses and we should be using shorter lengths so we wouldn't look like "perverts". I ended up just turning around and walking off during her tirade, but my friend actually has more patience than me, and took the time to explain why we were using the bigger lenses.

Even then, she still watched us like a hawk while she was around us. Annoyed hell out of me.

* 3 adults - Me, friend, friends wife. 8 kids! 2 mine, the rest his.
        Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

Quoth aulocksmith View Post
          I hate those sort of people.

A friend and I took our kids up to the snow at Lake Mountain yesterday, in total 11 people*. Once there, we drag out our cameras, attach what I lovingly call the bazookas (70-200 f2.8) and start taking photos.
          I also have to deal with customers who don't understand that that lens will take far better photos than a kit 55-250, even if "the camera is the same!"

I think this guy just wanted me to justify his want/and or stroke his ego's need to get the more expensive camera, because expensive means it must be better... I get that every now and then, and they're the sort of person that have no clue...

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
            I think this guy just wanted me to justify his want/and or stroke his ego's need to get the more expensive camera, because expensive means it must be better... I get that every now and then, and they're the sort of person that have no clue...
            Ahh yes... the "But I have a 1D" person. Gotta love/hate them.
            Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

I learned how to take pictures on my dads 1938 Leica 3b, which I still have and use with glee [I also have the fitted case of all the filters and lenses that came with it originally.] You have no freaking idea how many people over the past 10 years urge me go ditch the old crappy camera and get a spiffy SLR/digital/whatever horse they are flogging.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth aulocksmith View Post
                Ahh yes... the "But I have a 1D" person. Gotta love/hate them.
                ahh I'd forgotten about that video

pretty close actually, we were comparing the EOS 6D and the 5D III

EDIT: Anyone who urges you to ditch the Leica (unless its for an M Type 240 or Monochrom) is an idiot.

Comment

Applied broadly, giving recommendations, when not ASKED is a big red flag you've got a busybody on your hands.
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                    Applied broadly, giving recommendations, when not ASKED is a big red flag you've got a busybody on your hands.
                    Or my mom.

Same thing.
                    Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
                    At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

AD: Someone I know IRL recently won a statewide prize for photography via a picture that he took on an early-to-mid aughties (digital, non SLR blahblah) camera. The other photogs at the award ceremony all wanted to know what slick hot new tech he had used to get the nice shot ^_^ He just grinned reeeeally wide, then enlightened them.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                      X