X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Every weekend it's something

I just need to vent.

I always want to get as much done as possible on the weekends as far as errands, cooking, grocery shopping, mountains of laundry, other projects. I also want time to relax a little. But I run into bad pain days where I can only do the bare minimum or some other problem. This weekend it's the weather.

I wanted to go to bed around 11:30 or 12:00 tonight (Friday) so I could get up kind of early and go pick up a parcel and go to the pharmacy before the snow got heavy. I can't sleep. It's cycling between snow and sleet and the sleet is attacking my bedroom window. I have my fan on the loudest setting but I am a light sleeper. I don't think it's going to switch over to snow for good at any point. We are right on the line where I am.

Also I am worried about the power going out. Ice can do that. At least the sleet pebbles are small, but still. The one good thing is that I don't work retail anymore so I don't have to be anywhere until Monday. And I did pick up some stuff I needed and stop by the optometrist after work. The pharmacy changed hours from closing at 7:00 to 6:00 so I can't go after work. It's not ultra important anyway. It's just a back-up prescription. Silver lining? Mostly I just want my shoes that I ordered which are sitting at the UPS store.

Overall I really have no problem as long as the power stays on. If it goes out no laundry or cooking for me. I just feel anxious any time there's a storm. At least we've had no tornadoes. I've already seen the damage in other states. It's bad. I think I just need to be more grateful and less whiny.

Update: the power is still on and we got a few inches of snow. It's going to snow all weekend. I think my car is sealed by ice and I don't know if I'll be able to get in it. I've heard sirens twice now. People should know to drive slow on a day like today but in my experience they don't care.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 04-14-2018, 03:53 PM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I hope you're okay over there and your power stays on! We have an ice storm moving in as I type this, although it's not supposed to be too bad where I am. I guess Toronto got hit pretty hard, and then it's sweeping over our northern counties and then going east.

I charged up my phone and Kindle, and the laptop's fully charged, just in case. We've had ice storms before that ended up breaking power lines, but at least I should be able to use the burners on the gas stove.

WHEN DOES WINTER END?!!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      WHEN DOES WINTER END?!!
      According to George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, probably sometime in book 7, A Dream of Spring.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        I hope you're okay over there and your power stays on!
        I charged up my phone and Kindle, and the laptop's fully charged, just in case.
        It's still on. My laptop is charged, though the battery dies really fast. My chromebook is charged and I can always plug my phone into either if I need to. Phone is new so the battery lasts days. I have a goose neck lamp that is LED and runs on two AA batteries as well as puck lights that run on AAAs. I also have battery operated string lights. If the power goes out I cannot cook. My stove is electric. I miss having a gas stove. I have granola bars, bread, cheese, peanut butter. I can put the milk and frozen stuff on the balcony if I really have to.

ETA: I've always wanted one of those power inverters so I could run stuff in my car if I needed to.
        Last edited by Food Lady; 04-15-2018, 12:53 AM.

Comment

I believe you can buy hand-crank or solar-powered chargers for gadgets such as phones and laptops. I have a couple of back-up batteries you charge from the mains that I keep charged just in case (useful when I go on my coach tour trips to keep in contact for the long hauls from southern England up to northern Scotland and back again). From the reviews they're of variable quality, though, and the hand-crank ones usually need a lot of work to get the benefit from them.

I do remember bookmarking a hand-crank radio once that had charging ports for USB connectors, but it was about £50 and I didn't have the money at the time (this was back when we had several power cuts in as many months, before they fixed whatever the problem was at the local sub-station. My candle obsession was quite useful, but I nearly ran out of matches and I have scorch-marks on a book from where I got a bit too close to the candle).
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Not going to bed yet because I can't sleep when worried or anxious. Lights have flickered a few times. It's not that windy, but the stuff is still coming down, very, very fine snow/ice.

OTOH, it's supposed to be about 40F on Sunday and they're calling for rain. Either way is bound to be a mess.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm still up but it's because I'm in a lot of pain. I've been waiting on pain killers to work and cooking stuff for the week in the meantime.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                I wanted to go to bed around 11:30 or 12:00 tonight (Friday) so I could get up kind of early and go pick up a parcel and go to the pharmacy before the snow got heavy. I can't sleep. It's cycling between snow and sleet and the sleet is attacking my bedroom window. I have my fan on the loudest setting but I am a light sleeper. I don't think it's going to switch over to snow for good at any point. We are right on the line where I am.

Update: the power is still on and we got a few inches of snow. It's going to snow all weekend. I think my car is sealed by ice and I don't know if I'll be able to get in it. I've heard sirens twice now. People should know to drive slow on a day like today but in my experience they don't care.

laughs maniaclly here in CheeseHeadLandCentral I have about 18 inches of snow as of this time. I spent 2 hours today (Sunday) and an hour on Friday digging out just my car and driveway. this does not include the sidewalk. I worked long shifts both Friday and Saturday nights and It was HELL. IT turns out my pizza place stores were the ONLY food places (any food places including 24 hour McDonalds and all the areas bars) that were open after about 7 or 8pm. I made great money but we got mega slammed with delivery times of 2+ hours (sometime it was 2 1/2 hours) and had dishes out the you know what. Mother Nature was being multi-polar for the last 60 hours or so as she could not make up her mind as to sleet, snow, freezing rain, thunder and lighting, and a combination of all of the above.

and yes right now I am very stiff and sore and I hate it. Tylonol is the only thing I can take as I have to work/drive tomorrow when OH JOY we are expected to get even more crap falling from the sky.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                WHEN DOES WINTER END?!!
                Here in CheeseHeadLandCentral is can end as late a the middle of May. Yes We have had snow once or twice at that time.

and for your weather "pleasure" we have had temps in the mid to upper 20'sF in june and July in the last two years.

You might be from CheeseHeadLand IF you get sunburn and frostbite on the same July Day (yes it is possible )
                Last edited by Racket_Man; 04-16-2018, 08:01 AM.
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Here in Colorado I have seen it snow on July 4th.

Comment

Racket Man I heard y'all got 23 inches to our 17. Shoveling out made my back even worse. I've been on mega NSAID, muscle relaxer, and opiate all day and still in pain. Thankfully this only happens once every few years (snow fall over 6 inches).

Comment

Racket Man I heard y'all got 23 inches to our 17. Shoveling out made my back even worse. I've been on mega NSAID, muscle relaxer, and opiate all day and still in pain. Thankfully this only happens once every few years (snow fall over 6 inches).
                      Yes we did get 23 and change inches. 2d largest snowfall since 1888 or so. and I have drifts of snow 3 to 8 feet high infront of my yard gate and in my backyard.

Spend about 30 minutes on Monday re-digging out my driveway after the city plowed. then had to go into work and walked into total chaos with the quarterly online only 50% off sale. Yeah I was really tired cranky, sore stiff and in pain for almost 10 hours. yeah again decent money BUT>>>>>>>

Spent about 45 minutes today digging out my yard gate so I could get my trash cans out. Then find out the trash pickup was NOT delayed so I have mega trash sitting in my recepticles.

Comment

I heard that about the record. I'm actually surprised. I think of 2 feet as something all cities in WI experience semi-regularly. I mean, I've lived here almost 16 years and you think I'd have noticed how often we don't get 2 to 3 feet, but I'm not out there measuring it. Maybe that's just the record for Green Bay. Or is it a record for April and that's why it stands out?

I'm still recovering. Had a migraine coming on today but I took my generic Imitrex quickly enough and headed it off at the pass.

Comment

I heard that about the record. I'm actually surprised. I think of 2 feet as something all cities in WI experience semi-regularly. I mean, I've lived here almost 16 years and you think I'd have noticed how often we don't get 2 to 3 feet, but I'm not out there measuring it. Maybe that's just the record for Green Bay. Or is it a record for April and that's why it stands out?

I'm still recovering. Had a migraine coming on today but I took my generic Imitrex quickly enough and headed it off at the pass.
                          All I know is that they were saying that this is a record for my surrounding area .

Not the only heavy snowfall I have had the "pleasure" to be in. Several times as a 0 - 30 year old in St. Louis we had enough blizzards so this "Wisconsin thing" does not bother me. I guess I am a glutton for punishment by moving further and further north

One storm in the early 1980's was so bad. My Father and I were shoveling our and our neighbors sidewalk and walkways and literally as soon as we got half way done you could not tell we had shoveled because it was snowing so hard and fast.

Comment

I do not miss the ~1984 Chicago winter. We had to go outside (briefly!) when the wind chill was literally -100F. I think temperatures were about -40 (same in both scales!) and the wind was fierce. The news was full of warnings to not go outside unless it was absolutely necessary, and to not leave any skin exposed for more than a few seconds due to severe risk of frostbite.

That was not fun at all!!!
                            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                              I do not miss the ~1984 Chicago winter. We had to go outside (briefly!) when the wind chill was literally -100F. I think temperatures were about -40 (same in both scales!) and the wind was fierce.
                              In the mid 1990's (lived in Chicago that whole decade) we had a winter (93 or 94 I think) where the months of Jan. and Fed the temps did not get above 0F and the wind chills were not healthy.

It got so bad that I started bringing my car battery inside both at home and work so I knew I could start my car going and leaving work. Got some real pondered looks at work and some dumb questions which I just answered "Well I know I will be able to start my car after work".

On the upside. One night the air temp was pile -10F with absolutely NO wind. My daughter and I went outside and blew soap bubbles. These immediately froze and we watched them just sit on the ground or bounce down the lawn of our apt. building.

Comment

Working...
                              X