This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Have to Go to the Bank Because You Withdrew Money

The other day, I ended up checking out a mother and her adult daughter. The mother paid with a debit card and asked for cash back. The daughter was angry that the mother asked for cash back and mentioned something about the checkbook being off/not balancing. The daughter even told her mother that they now had to make a special trip to the bank and deposit the cash that the mother got back with the purchase.
    My Fanfic Page
    My Fiction Page
    My Social Group
    My Pet Social Group
    My You Tube Channel

I'm pretty sure debit cards don't work that way....LOL
    Some people should only be allowed cash until they prove they understand debit/credit cards.

Comment

All they have to do is enter the debit transaction in the ledger.

But in this day of online banking, who balances their checkbook monthly? You can keep an eye on your statement daily, or even hourly. Heck, at the credit union I work at, fully 3/4 of our members do NOT get paper statements any more, they've opted out. (I know, I generate the statements file and the file listing of who doesn't get them monthly.)
      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
        All they have to do is enter the debit transaction in the ledger.
        or keep a cushion for this sort of thing. Come to think of it, freespirit is onto something: no debit cards 'til you understand how they work.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Its silly but I do see some logic,

1. the debit has a credit card tie-in so it can be used either way, hence a transaction done as credit may not have posted.

2. debit card to a checking account, same scenario, floating check somewhere

3. account has auto bill payment enrollment

most likely an "overdraft" protected account = $35 + 'convenience' fee per transaction, so user could be in the hook for at least one 'convenience' charge.
          “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
          ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

I stopped keeping a ledger because it would never fail that I would be one *$@@*%*@ penny off and fail to notice where the discrepancy was.

Hence why I love being able to check my balance anytime.
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I balance monthly and am balanced every month. Though most of my checks are for even dollar amounts. Makes things easy.
              I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

The registers at our store will reject the transaction usually, if there's not enough $$ in the customer's account. I'm assuming that's if they don't have some sort of overdraft "protection" that allows them to overdraw with a fee.

As for myself, I usually balance my accounts with the online banking on paydays and sometimes after bills are paid just so I can double-check what I have left over. Working the register for two years, it just floors me how many people apparently don't balance their accounts ever, including the cash they have on hand.
                Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

How's the customer in the OP keeping track of their purchases if not writing them in manually? So why can't they just add on the withdrawal?! Ah, people... Can't kill them all, can we?
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I've had a checking account since I was 16 years old. Only twice have I overdrawn. One time was because somebody got my debit card number and wracked up $486 dollars PLUS fees.. yes I remember the exact amount, you don't forget that easily. I got all of it back.. but I had to fight for two years to get it back. Mommy didn't have to help me, daddy didn't have to go threaten the bank. I, as a 16 year old kid, fought my own battle.

The second time was not long ago (I am 40 now, for those who care). Now keep in mind I have a medical problem that causes memory and concentration issues. This was fully my fault. I forgot to check my account daily (as I do)..and overdrew. Cost me $29. Still kicking myself over that one.
                    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I had to explain to my sister multiple times that running her debit card as credit didn't magically turn it into a credit card.

Comment

Working...
                      X