Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, my Easter weekend is lined up...

Every year, the local branch of the SCA does a get-together that our group is typically invited to (we are not SCA however, but some of our members are).

This year, because the date for said event falls on a weekend when we're at an event we actually get paid to do, we decided to hold our own get-together over the Easter weekend. Our nickname for it is "Fuckerpalooza" despite the president repeatedly insisting we refer to it by either its actual name or "Faux <event>".

For us, it'll just be a chance to do a dry run for the event we get paid to do, but we're also going to use the time to teach new skills to each other. In particular, I'm going to learn how to spin wool using a drop spindle and fight with a quarterstaff (sadly, not a buck-and-a-quarter quarterstaff )

As soon as the word came out that the quarterstaff session was going to be a thing, I responded instantly with a "yes please" and quoting that one Daffy Duck cartoon.
    ("Ho, ha-ha, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin, ha, thrust!" )

What's everyone else got planned for Easter?

"Ho, ha-ha, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin, ha, thrust!"
    SPLAT

"For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'll be watching the grand-kids hunt Easter Eggs. They'll have to take though I don't have that many small child-sized egg guns to go around.
      Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Well, The Wife has run off to St. Pete, Florida to see this. Kinda wish I could have gone too.

So I am Baching it this weekend. PARTY AT MY HOUSE!

Please remember that I go to bed by 10 PM, so make sure you clean up and clear out early.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Well, on Friday I'm attending this (last time they were in my city was 8 years ago). Sunday is just dinner with family.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

As Easter is also April Fool's Day, our menu will include spaghetti in honor of this classic.
            The tax office is closed that day, so I'll sleep in as late as the cats will let me get away with. About all they don't do to wake me is use a bat.
            That's right, just me and Mrs. TGK. I'll be resting up before the rush.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Gonna be busy for us. Tomorrow evening Da Boss and I are going to a Meadery with a friend of mine. Been many years since I drank mead, kind of looking forward to it! Saturday, we're going to Cirque with a friend of hers. And then Sunday, we're going to a local nursery to buy plants for the yard. (Which she will ask me to "help" her plant. Sigh.)
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I'm working this weekend, but I have a nice Easter dinner planned for the crew tomorrow.
                Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

So unfortunately the weekend wound up being way too hot to attempt either of the above activities.

I did however, get some good shots in at the archery range and got to watch forging in action. (My partner made a bottle opener from a long piece of steel. Since he didn't cut it down to size, he converted the other end into a hook and named it the "battle opener." It CAN be used one-handed and it now accompanies our "battle spoon" (A really long wooden spoon we use when cooking at events)

One of our members wound up bringing in this life-size stuffed bear that had been hanging around his office and needed a good home. It wound up FULL of arrows by the end of the shoot (we made up a little rig that we could hang it from, with the goal of using it to make moving targets later as well).

Afterwards, the son of the member who'd brought in the bear wound up sitting there happily gutting it with a rondel dagger (Son is around 15 FYI). He then managed to get enough stuffing out of it that he was able to climb INSIDE the stuffed bear and walk around in it!

Afterwards, we strung up three smaller stuffed toys from the rig and moved them back and forth. Whoever got their arrow through them got to keep them. One of them we nicknamed "Will" because it was a) creepy as sin and b) So that whenever we called "Range is open, fire at will!" We could actually fire at "Will".
                  Last edited by LadyofArc; 04-10-2018, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X