This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making new soap from old soap. Ideas?

I have a bunch soap slivers and I sort of had a crazy notion of putting them together somehow so as not to waste them.

Has anyone else done this or do should I just toss them before Hoarders and My Strange Addiction starts a turf war?
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

I haven't done it, but I have a plastic bag of slivers just waiting to be reused. Don't worry, this is a thing that many people do. I would not bother buying glycerin, personally.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

You could start a fight club. ;-)
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
        You could start a fight club. ;-)

Ah, right.

Then I can hit people with the soap.

Comment

I press the slivers to new bars all the time.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
            I press the slivers to new bars all the time.
            So do I.

Stupid 10char limit doesn't really allow concise, does it?
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I marry the old soap to a new soap.

Several year ago a saw a product that was a terrycloth mitten with a pocket for the slivers. Put them in, wet it down and lather up.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                I marry the old soap to a new soap.

Several year ago a saw a product that was a terrycloth mitten with a pocket for the slivers. Put them in, wet it down and lather up.
                Oh, there's an idea. I'll see if my store has those.

Comment

Easy enough just to put them in a baggie with just a little bit of water and let them soften enough to mush together. Take the lump out, let it dry for a few days, and use.
                  You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                    I did the same thing by folding a washcloth in half and sewing along two sides, leaving an opening to put the soap slivers in. It worked great. If you already have an extra washcloth and a sewing machine, I recommend it.
                    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Along the lines of csquared &seq, I've put slivers into dish scrubbies, the plastic-coil sort. In the bath though, I do "marry" the sliver to the next bar. If it won't meld properly, it gets tossed.

Comment

There used to be a pump you could buy which had steel balls of some kind in it. You would put in the slivers and some hot water, let the soap dissolve for a bit, and shake the pump to make liquid soap that was kind of thick. I haven't seen it for 20 years but I don't see why a lidded plastic container couldn't be used the same way. Shake it up then transfer to a soap pump. I don't know where to find the ball bearings, or whatever they're called. Maybe a hardware store or something? Craft shop? idk I have grated soap in the food processor and added to hot water to make liquid soap but cleaning the blade is a pain.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I like the idea with the steel balls.

I probably could find an old soap pump at the Goodwill. I wish there were more thrift shops in my area.

Comment

How much are you willing to spend? I got a nice one on Amazon.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Sort of related: I love having foaming hand soap in the kitchen. But buying a new bottle of foaming hand soap each time is expensive. And makes me throw out a lot of plastic. MAAAANY years ago, I bought a big bottle of liquid hand soap (this was before foaming soap bottles were really a thing). So when my bottle of foaming hand soap is empty, I put a small amount of liquid hand soap in it, fill it with water, and shake it to get a good consistency for it to foam. I keep using the same bottle until the plastic degrades to the point I can't push the plunger down, then replace it. It feels like a good compromise.
                              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                              X