This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Cross Rant + Missing Blood

I'm afraid of needles but try to give blood every time there's a drive at my work. Now, my mall donates an empty space for them to hold the blood drive in. I know it's for a good cause, but the workers are unbearable. They'll come waaaay before the mall opens, usually at the door furthest from where the space is, without calling and ream me out for not being able to see into the future and know what time they were coming. Then they'll completely mishear what I said and ream me out for that. Example: Their trucks were unloading at door C and had been here for an hour. The workers arrived at door A and were upset they couldn't get in. I started explaining that the Mall was actually closed for the next hour, but I could let them in here or they could all go park at door C and go in there. All they heard was "I won't let you in." And spent 10-minutes bitching before I got them to listen. Also, I didn't know that they weren't volunteers; they get paid at these drives, but they sure don't earn it. If there's 10 workers in the space, maybe 2 are drawing blood, 1 might be processing people, and the rest are standing around chit-chatting. Due to this, there's often an hour+ wait just to get your information taken; I once waited 1hr45min before it was my turn. And most of them act like it's the BIGGEST inconvenience to have to ask you questions, get you in the chair, get the needle in, etc. They are terribly rude to everyone, and the last time I told the lady taking my blood that I was really afraid of needles, she just Guffawed, rolled her eyes and said "Oh, it's not THAT bad!" As she proceeded to ignore me for the whole time my blood was draining.

I also mentioned that they don't have to pay for the space they use? But that doesn't keep them from complaining more than any of our paying tenants. It's either the store's too bright, too dark, too hot, too cold, they need more fans, etc. BUT when they pack-up and leave they'll always leave an ass-ton of trash, drinks, coffee cups, leftover food, etc. for us to clean-up.

And finally, they call me to donate 1-3 times weekly! Even if I just donated a week previous. And I've told them, I donate at work, please take me off the call list; I've told them this the last 4-calls. But, every call since they say there's no record of my having being taken off the list and they'll make another note in my account. Oh, and the last time they called, and I told them I wasn't able to give blood because I'd donated on X date, they told me that according to their computers I didn't donated on X date, I donated on Y which was 2-months previous! Yes, I did donated on Y, then on X. But somehow, my record of donating on X wasn't in there. They didn't seem to believe me when I told them no I was not deferred and yes I marked that my blood could be used. So where the FRACK DID MY BLOOD GO!???

Aaaaand I got called AGAIN this past week, and was AGAIN told that there was no note of my asking to be taken off the damn list!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Quoth LillFilly View Post
    the store's too bright, too dark
    So where the FRACK DID MY BLOOD GO!???!
    Vampires!
    >.>

As for the phone calls... If they keep it up, contact the FCC. While Non-Profits and places you've had business with are usually exempt from the Do Not Call List, pretty sure they'll get reamed if you start taking down times and names and the FCC finds out they've been harassing you five times a month.

Comment

They're after me again too. It gets real annoying real fast and kinda turns me off of donating.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I'll be honest, half the reason I have only ever donated once was due to the incessant cold calling. I did not say it's okay to call me up and ask me to donate again, thus it's cold calling, and thus I hate you.

The other half is that I nearly passed out the first time :P

Comment

Donated once after 9/11.

That's all I'll donate for the reasons highlighted above.

Comment

The next time they call, tell them you keep track yourself, and you will decide when you next donate - and if they call again, your decision will be "never again."

Really - they are trying to ask you to do a big favor and give 1/12 of your entire circulatory system to them, and they really expect that badgering you is the way to do it? I wonder what kind of return they get from this cold-calling.

(Is this the Red Cross or the local blood bank? We have both doing blood drives here, but the San Diego Blood Bank is better - they never hurt me, they' don't pester me, and they get their unit of blood from me every Comic Con. But even the Red Cross people have been professional.)
            I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Call the main office in your area, tell them that you are seriously considering never donating to them again, due to the unprofessional behavior of the employees they send to the mall, the mess they leave behind, and the excessive calls harassing you to donate more often than you feel comfortable donating. (make sure you use the word harassing)

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
                (Is this the Red Cross or the local blood bank?)
                It's the official Red Cross. I've NEVER seen people in this organization act like this in the other states I lived in. Go figure.
                "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

It's the official Red Cross. I've NEVER seen people in this organization act like this in the other states I lived in. Go figure.
                  Don't know where you live, Lilli, but I'm getting increasingly annoyed at my local Red Cross here in North Carolina. They are getting really pushy: last time they called, they tried to push an appointment on me over the phone. I told them I didn't appreciate that, and don't call me I'll call you.

I don't donate often because my veins aren't very good, and it's hard to get blood from me. Last time I donated, the needle was situated in such a way that it put pressure on a major nerve, causing excruciating pain . . . but the blood wouldn't run in any other position. I grit my teeth and toughed it out, but am gun shy about donating again.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I only got to donate twice because they changed the rules because of the mad cow scare--I lived in Germany for a few months during the '80s, so I can't donate. Literally, it added up to less than a year--six months after birth, then a month and a half nearly a decade later when we moved back in '89. I'm the coveted O-, too. The Red Cross there was very professional, though, and only called Mom and I up when enough time had passed.

I've been told to donate plasma instead, but I haven't yet for some reason. I guess it just feels like a hassle.
                    It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

O- is soooo valuable. I'm AB+. The only major blood group that's rarer than me is AB-.

Fortunately, I'm a universal recipient.
                      Unfortunately, most people can't take my blood type. Only other AB+.

I can't give blood anymore - and probably never should have. When I did, I was still in the early stages of my illnesses, and not recognising them as illnesses. I guess being an AB+ it's not so bad that I can't donate... but it does suck, cause they could use my blood on known AB+ and save the O- for unknowns.
                      (No, they can't take plasma or other blood products from me. The causes of some of my problems are unknown, and might be blood-transmissible. Plus, giving blood would exacerbate some of my symptoms, and that violates medical ethics codes. Pfft.)

I understand reasons for not wanting to donate even if you can. I just wish I could. You know?

But back on topic: BAD! Bad bad bad blood donation people! If you want something from people, you make it as pleasant a process as possible!

NEVER make it hard for people to give you something. Whether that be money, blood, a vacant shop to work in... make it as easy and pleasant as possible, that way you're going to get people coming back! Make it hard, and you turn people away!

Stupid, stupid of them. Bad naughty .. gah!
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Wow. Years ago when I could donate blood, they never got this way with me. I hate to see that things have gone so downhill.

OT: Wish I could still donate, actually. I'm forever borderline anemic so I was turned down a log. As soon as I did donate, I become quite anemic and it can take months to recover. I've got O- blood, too.
                        The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

I'm O- too. But my Red Cross experience, while friendly, has caused issues. Last time I could give blood, the nurse was new and punctured the vein, I think. Pinched something awful and had a bruise for a month in that elbow. In any case, it hurt.

So the next time, I asked for an experienced nurse because they have better luck with my veins. Didn't get one, so had no real confidence and ended up getting sick to my stomach as soon as I got stuck. Haven't donated since.
                          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I will donate to my local blood bank, but I will have NOTHING to do with the American Red Cross. Going into why would be fratching material.
                            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I am turned down for donating again and again. Why? Because I lived in Libya (N. Africa) in the 1960's! Now if I recall, the HIV/AIDs epidemic didn't start until the late 70's or early 80's - I may be off on that. But, I was from the age of 12 - 15 at the time. NO I didn't have sex with anyone there and NO I don't have HIV/AIDS.

The real kicker? My husband can't donate either, because he has had sex with someone who lived in N. Africa in the 60's. Never mind that we didn't meet each other until we were well into our 30's, a full 20 years after I lived in N. Africa! UGH.

Comment

Working...
                              X