Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customers say the darnest things........

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customers say the darnest things........

I hate that saying, "The customer is always right." It has destroyed the entire concept of curtesy and rendered manners obsolete. It gives people the green light to act any way they please because they think they are going to get what they want, when they want it. They think they can treat service people any way they want and it disgusts and infuriates me.

With that being said, I'll explain what made me angry today. In a few posts I have mentioned that I am having issues with my lower right calf. My clusmy self ran into a register counter at work and I accidentally cut myself. I had to have minor surgery on it to remove some metal bits and dirt and fight the infection. It was fine for a while but the past few days, it's been hurting and swelling again. I went back to the doctor and apparently it got infected again. This time, I had major surgery and the doctor found two more pieces of metal deeper in the calf. We are sure it's all out and that I'm going to recover. Thankfully, my job is paying for my medical bills and I'm getting paid vacation since I can't return to work yet.

I went up to my job to sign some papers so they can pay my latest surgery bills. I'm in my cut off lounge pants and a tank top on crutches with my leg all wrapped in bandages. I'm halfway to the office near the registers when a semi-regular stops me and asks where the laundry detergent is located. I tell her the aisle number and continue towards the office when she snorts and says, "It's poor service to not show me where it is located. I guess corporate will have to hear about this.

I may have snapped, but I am so sick of people like her. I wasn't on the clock.....so...... I simply said....."Lady, I'm not in a uniform and I'm on crutches with my leg bandaged. I was nice enough to tell you what aisle you can find it on. The only thing corporate will be hearing is how stupid you are for harassing their injured worker.
    Last edited by Plankton78; 08-19-2014, 12:36 PM. Reason: Stop writing posts when you are half asleep. Your spelling and grammar are awful.
    No ma'am. I'm sorry, I cannot control the temperature. We're in hell, that's why.

You just don't get it, do you? You were supposed to throw your crutches to the ground, do a Wonder Woman spin to change into your uniform, run amd get it for het, all the time exclaiming what a miracle worker she is to cure you instantly with her super-ego powers!

Yeah, she deserved that-but let's hope some spineless git at corporate doesn't take her side....
    I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

If they do... nail their ass for asking you to work off the clock.

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
        You just don't get it, do you? You were supposed to throw your crutches to the ground, do a Wonder Woman spin to change into your uniform, run amd get it for het, all the time exclaiming what a miracle worker she is to cure you instantly with her super-ego powers!

Yeah, she deserved that-but let's hope some spineless git at corporate doesn't take her side....

Yeah, they'll give her a gift card for her "inconvenience".

Comment

What a selfish bitch.
          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post

I really should have huh. Cuz the crutches and the bandages are just pretend so just don't have to work or anything.

Thankfully, our corporate has been mostly fair between us and the customers. And since I wasn't on the clock, I can't get in trouble.
            No ma'am. I'm sorry, I cannot control the temperature. We're in hell, that's why.

Comment

Quoth Plankton78 View Post
              In a few posts I have mentioned that I am having issues with my lower right calf. My clusmy self ran into a register counter at work and I accidentally cut myself. I had to have minor surgery on it to remove some metal bits and dirt and fight the infection. It was fine for a while but the past few days, it's been hurting and swelling again. I went back to the doctor and apparently it got infected again. This time, I had major surgery and the doctor found two more pieces of metal deeper in the calf. We are sure it's all out and that I'm going to recover.
              That's awful! I wish you a speedy and thorough recovery with no more complications!
              Quoth Plankton78 View Post
              I hate that saying, "The customer is always right." It has destroyed the entire concept of courtesy and rendered manners obsolete. It gives people the green light to act any way they please because they think they are going to get what they want, when they want it. They think they can treat service people any way they want and it disgusts and infuriates me.
              Join the club! Oh wait, you already did, it's called .com!

Joking aside, yes it is ridiculous that the playing field is so severely not level. We're not paid enough to put up with abuse and egotism from idiots who can't find their own arses with both hands, two mirrors and a copy of Grey's Anatomy.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Why thank you. I really want a speedy recovery because these bandages are itchy!! Customers are so self absorbed that they are immune to compassion, understanding, and intelligence.

Comment

I've been here too long to be shocked that there are people who take "The customer is always right" all but literally -- I can't wait for the day someone comes in to a store and tries to walk out with a basket full of stuff without paying, shouting, "I think these should all be free! I'm the customer, so I'm always right, therefore, it's all free! QED!" ~_~

I've heard various stories as to its origin. The two I recall are :

- One from a really high-end haberdasher in industrial-era London (as in, the "cheap" hats costs more than a horse & buggy), who said, "In order to keep their business, I will treat my wealthiest customers as if they were always right"

- A more modern take, which I prefer: "Find out what the customer wants to buy, and is willing to buy, and stock it for them, within reason"
                  Last edited by EricKei; 08-19-2014, 05:50 PM.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The customer is always right, but the store gets to decide whether you're a customer.

(Granted, most stores take the view that everyone's a customer, but my point still stands!)
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      I've been here too long to be shocked that there are people who take "The customer is always right" all but literally ...I've heard various stories as to its origin.
                      Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it. The article has some interesting links at the bottom, too.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I hate how people tattle to corporate. Our manager recently got an email from corporate asking when something in our system was going to get fixed, because they got a complaint. Um. You tell us, you're the one in charge! It's actually a certain Canadian card which our system no longer accepts because the Canadian bank opted out of being included in our system. We at the store level have no control over this, and both the customer and corporate are blaming us!

And just for fun, here's a clip of a show called Corner Gas. It's also a Canadian show, and really funny. Basically a lady wanting her money back because she rented a bad movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQyH...DFE83FBB597D89
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          I've heard various stories as to its origin. The two I recall are :

- One from a really high-end haberdasher in industrial-era London (as in, the "cheap" hats costs more than a horse & buggy), who said, "In order to keep their business, I will treat my wealthiest customers as if they were always right"

- A more modern take, which I prefer: "Find out what the customer wants to buy, and is willing to buy, and stock it for them, within reason"
                          I absolutely enjoy how much knowledge your fascinating brain holds. Smart people are awesome. Thank you, thank you.

Comment

I'm one of those odd folks who's annoyingly good at Trivial Pursuit and Jeopardy

There's lots of trivial knowledge up there that I've just kinda hoarded over my mrrrfrhm years, which apparently leaves less room for other things. Ask me the name and specs of a computer I was using back in the 80's? Sure! I'll give you chapter and verse, and list off half a dozen games I owned for the damn thing (I probably recall the music they used, too). Ask me the name of someone I met five minutes ago, or someone I see every freaking week (at a meeting I cover for the paper, or at social events)...? Uhmmm... x.x
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              I'm one of those odd folks who's annoyingly good at Trivial Pursuit and Jeopardy

There's lots of trivial knowledge up there that I've just kinda hoarded over my mrrrfrhm years, which apparently leaves less room for other things. Ask me the name and specs of a computer I was using back in the 80's? Sure! I'll give you chapter and verse, and list off half a dozen games I owned for the damn thing (I probably recall the music they used, too). Ask me the name of someone I met five minutes ago, or someone I see every freaking week (at a meeting I cover for the paper, or at social events)...? Uhmmm... x.x
                              To quote Calvin & Hobbes-- "I'm not stupid. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X