This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now Departing, Gate 1: YOUR CAR!

Got a call from the police, there's car parked out at the airport that they want towed, because, first-and-foremost, it's parked in the taxi/departures turnaround-loop in front of the terminal.

This is a no-no, there are plenty of signs as soon as you pull into the airport itself that if you need PARKING you go LEFT, NOW! And use the long term pay-lot. You only drive up to the terminal if you're going to quickly toss grandma and her golf clubs out of the car and immediately leave the premises.

You can linger a bit longer if you're a cab driver, but, aside from that, it's forbidden to park here for any length of time (there are a few nasty-worded signs on the sidewalk there, dating back to 9-11, hinting that anyone who does park here is liable to get a visit from some nice men with guns and possibly a cavity search )

Furthermore, the spot they took is a marked "standby" spot for use by police vehicles only, and yet another nasty-worded sign informs you of this fact in case you're a cab driver with a legit reason to be there.

Well, this was neither a cop car, nor a cab. So it had to go.

That was 3 days ago

Owner still hasn't picked it up.

If I had to guess, I'd say they were late for their flight and either didn't notice all the signs, or figured they had no other option, they'd park there and what would be the worst that could happen? (Answer: $115 tow, $35 per day for storage)

The irony being that departing flights on climb-out actually fly right over our garage at only maybe 3,000 feet of altitude since we're not too far away, making a sweeping left-hand turn to avoid the mountains, giving those on that side of the plane a nice view of our entire operation down on the ground, impound and all.

It's entirely possible that by the time our illegal parker got through check-in, security, boarding and finally buckled into his seat... we had already left with his car, and had he had a window seat, it's also entirely possible that the last thing he saw before his plane broke through the overcast on it's way to cruising altitude, was his own car below, in a fenced-in lot.

We should've made up a huge sign on the ground, "NICE PARK JOB, DOOFUS!" had we known beforehand.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Depending on how long they're gone this could run into some serious moola!

Comment

I'm reminded of a line from the movie Stripes, with Bill Murray:

Security Guard at the bus station: Hey! You can't park your car there!
      Murray: We're not parking it; we're abandoning it!

Anyone check to see if the car was reported stolen? It might have been someone's getaway car they drove to the airport.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
        I'm reminded of a line from the movie Stripes, with Bill Murray:

Security Guard at the bus station: Hey! You can't park your car there!
        Murray: We're not parking it; we're abandoning it!

Anyone check to see if the car was reported stolen? It might have been someone's getaway car they drove to the airport.
        Since it was called in by the police, I would assume they're capable of doing their job in that regard...

Although, the possibility of an abandon still stands. Was it a serious junker?
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Do let us know when the owner comes looking for it. I sense an awesome story in the making.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
            Anyone check to see if the car was reported stolen?
            I would imagine that's always checked somehow, even if the car was simply spotted without a parking permit.

Comment

Quoth Golden Phoenix View Post
              Do let us know when the owner comes looking for it. I sense an awesome story in the making.
              Totally agree on this.

The fit that will be pitched will be legendary.

Or he/she will accept Fate as it comes.
              Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

How long do you keep them? I would assume a long time because it's technically not yours to sell?

And everyone knows that airports don't mess around. My friends and I were once flashed by a police cruiser and told to move on while I was putting my bags in the trunk of the car. I guess we needed to go faster! I now always take the shuttle back to town, it is much easier to ask for a ride that way, just from the drop off to my house.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post
                  Or he/she will accept Fate as it comes.
                  I think Bender can respond to this better than I can. Bender?
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Well, it was gone this morning. Nothing epic to add, so apparently they were that rare breed of take-yer-medicine-and-like-it customer.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                      Well, it was gone this morning. Nothing epic to add, so apparently they were that rare breed of take-yer-medicine-and-like-it customer.
                      I wonder if the airport parking prices are so astronomically high that this method would actually be cheaper and they did it on purpose to get a bargain.
                      Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                      Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                      Fiancee: What?!
                      Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Honestly, I'm surprised it wasn't treated like a national emergency, calling out SWAT with bomb dogs and such. TSA's dog and pony show should have gone into three ring circus mode over an abandoned car right at the entrance to departures. Simply having it quietly towed away is anticlimactic, but it makes sense.
                        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I think it's solely because the regular cops found it, not the TSA. Had THEY found it, yeah, it'd be three-county-lockdown time until they could destroy it with explosive counter-charges just to be safe.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                            I think it's solely because the regular cops found it, not the TSA. Had THEY found it, yeah, it'd be three-county-lockdown time until they could destroy it with explosive counter-charges just to be safe.
                            Sure, it would have been an inconvenience for everyone involved, but it damn sure would have taught people NOT to park in that spot!
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

At the airports near me, that car would have been pulled away by a bomb squad and detonated without a second thought.
                              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                              HR believes the first person in the door
                              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                              Document everything
                              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                              X