This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Halo_miles View Post
    I had somebody threaten to sue me because the large gauge plugs I have in my ears (which are 7/8 of an inch, and I've had them for 12+ years) were scaring their children.
    I'll bet her kids were not as scared as she would be when she saw what a lawyer would charge her for such a lawsuit.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth static
      "IT'S A WILD PERSON!"
      A WILD PERSON APPEARS!

*chucks a pokeball at static*
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I was once threatened with a lawsuit at Land of Quid because our pick-n-mix drinks were 3 for £1 when the branch in a town nearby was 4 for £1, even though every branch had the same offer... 3 for £1. She told me that I was scamming, that it was false advertising (don't know how) and, when I told her that it was pointless to sue me, try suing the company (and see how far it gets you) she quipped back with "it's your fault, you're the cashier."

I think some customers get confused between 'cashier' and 'shopkeeper'.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          that is some nuclear-grade stupid right there.

#1 had a lady sue claiming that one of the 3 little pigs groped her. Suit was dropped when she was shown the costume in question which did not have operable arms.

#2 had someone else sue claiming that Winnie the Pooh smacked a girl on the head and somehow caused bruising, recurring headaches and possible brain damage (that must've been one strong-ass Winnie-The-Pooh to do that!). The suit was dropped after the guy who was in the costume at the time answered questions on the stand IN the costume, revealing that the arms were way too low to the ground to be able to smack the girl in the first place. The guy was acquitted.

#3 had someone hurt themselves while "falling" from the Skyway and sued for $25k. Eventually it came out that he'd jumped instead. Said suit was promptly dropped.

When I hear a character has groped a woman, I laugh. Because in reality 95% of the costumed characters are girls. Mickey is a chick. Pooh. Tigger. The people who wear the costume have to meet height and weight combinations that are very unlikely to find in a guy. There are a few that are obviously guys. The green army guy is obviously a dude. But most of the other ones all girls.

The other point is that most if not all characters have handlers. That is a 2nd person that stays with that character at all times while in the park. The reason is because the suit gets super hot super fast. On a regular day they spend 45 minutes in and 15 minutes out. Because after 45 minutes the suit can easily break 100 degrees inside. Think about being stuck in your car in the heat. Now add a shit ton of fur and fluff. all around you. Very little ventilation.

And no those things do not get washed nearly as often as they should. When I was there they got washed maybe twice a year. More if the person inside got sick. (Which happens). On the days when you have a heat advisory those characters get 30 on and 30 off.

When hubby moved down to florida with me, he wanted to get arrested by disney pd because he wanted to fight mickey too. Until I told him would get me fired by extension. Then he didnt. He was also gonna go punch mickey until I told him most of the characters were girls then he stopped being an asshat.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
            Gord from Acts of Gord used to love it when people would threaten legal action. A couple of his responses:

"What's your lawyer's name? I'll call him myself."

"You're going to spend $200 on a lawyer over a $50 game?"

Basically if you call someone out on their idiocy they'll shut up and go away.
            It is not used often but if you threaten to sue on Disney property they can call Disney PD and Local PD and have you removed from property at that point and banned until all legal action has subsided.

Back in 2007 we were sued by a former landlord. Hubby had went active duty so that gave us the right to break our lease. Since we were never served and didnt know about it til 2 years later when it appeared on our credit report, it took 4 years of orders and jag to get that off our report.

Hubby was hit head on by a drunk driver in 2011. The guy crossed a double yellow line doing 70 in 30 while it was raining at 6 am. Hubby was on his way to work and the guy was hungover and on medication. Aside from what we got for the car we didn't bother suing because well he is the army. And a lowly e-5 at that. He probably had 15 dollars more than we did at that time. Hubby suffered a concussion but nothing else so for us as long as we were made whole with our car, we were happy.
            Last edited by EricKei; 08-27-2014, 01:36 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

Quoth cleorose View Post
              It is not used often but if you threaten to sue on Disney property they can call Disney PD and Local PD and have you removed from property at that point and banned until all legal action has subsided.
              OK question: what happens if the reason for suing is actually legitimate? (ie careless employee)
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

OK question: what happens if the reason for suing is actually legitimate? (ie careless employee)
                They can (and probably will) ban you while the litigation is in progress. They don't have to serve anyone they don't want to, and if I were them, I'd temp-ban anyone in the process of suing me. If your complaint is legit, they'll proably settle really fast, and probably lift the ban right after, but if they are fighting you in court, they probably don't want you on their property.
                Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Makes sense to me --

If the complaint is legitimate, keeping them off of the property makes sure no further incidents can possibly happen. If it's not, keeping them off the property removes their ability to fabricate new BS claims of abuse/harm/etc. If they're not present, they cannot be harmed.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Disney does not ban often, its bad for their image. When they do its usually a pretty valid reason.

If the complaint is legitimate IE you got hurt cause an employee was an idiot, then no they don't remove you from the property. In fact its just the opposite. You get upgraded up the wazoo. Free tickets, dream passes and all kinds of junk. Its a way to keep you happy because in all reality they want to settle out of court and very very quietly.

Now if your a total fuknut. And you say hijack one of luggage trucks and proceed to crash said luggage truck. And injure yourself and disney property. Yeah you are gonna get the boot.

Jumping a front desk also will get you banned.

Getting drunk and stuck under a concrete bench so that we have to call the fire department to rescue you. Yes when you threaten to sue, our supervisor will just use the ban hammer. Stupid drunk people are bad for Disney's image.

Shoplifters get banned. And while I dont know if they are now but they were allowed to confront shoplifters when I was there.

If you break down a door to get into your room but its not your room and you threaten to sue because we "switched" rooms on you. We are allowed to ban you.

Peeing anywhere in public on disney property is grounds for a ban.

sex anywhere in public on disney property is grounds for a ban.

While I don't think we banned a whole lot of people during the year I was there, we threatened it alot and most of the people who got it, were shockingly not people from out of town. It was the locals.

Comment

Quoth cleorose View Post
                      ...and most of the people who got it, were shockingly not people from out of town. It was the locals.
                      This actually does not surprise me. To tourists, DW/DL is a cool special place to go to, so many will be on their best behavior. To *certain* locals, it's the local bigass theme park, so they don't feel such an obligation to leave a good impression. Most people, tho, I would think, behave themselves. Correct?

Comment

Quoth cleorose View Post
                        Disney does not ban often, its bad for their image. When they do its usually a pretty valid reason.
                        (list of valid reasons for the Mouse to drop the banhammer elided)

These are all true stories? Please tell me these all actually happened.

Because if so,

Comment

I've been to Disney World three times (once for an actual vacation, twice for school), I can't imagine spending THAT kind of money only to get kicked out and banned. I think that would be a waste of money to tell the truth, then again I'm not stupid enough to get myself banned from a place where I'm dropping a lot of money.
                          Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth cleorose View Post

If the complaint is legitimate IE you got hurt cause an employee was an idiot, then no they don't remove you from the property. In fact its just the opposite. You get upgraded up the wazoo. Free tickets, dream passes and all kinds of junk. Its a way to keep you happy because in all reality they want to settle out of court and very very quietly.
                            Thank you for the clarification. Over here, I believe it takes nuclear-grade stupid to get banned from ANY of the theme parks over here. (Australia also does not have the same sue-happy culture that the US does, but it's starting to increase slightly) And yes, we do have theme parks, we're not completely backward (for the record, off the top of my head, we have 2 Luna Parks, Sea World, Movieworld, Wet n Wild Water World, Dreamworld, Whitewater World x2(?), Sovereign Hill (not really a "theme park" per se, more like a ghost town-esque thing) and the Beachouse)
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Thank you for the clarification. Over here, I believe it takes nuclear-grade stupid to get banned from ANY of the theme parks over here. (Australia also does not have the same sue-happy culture that the US does, but it's starting to increase slightly) And yes, we do have theme parks, we're not completely backward (for the record, off the top of my head, we have 2 Luna Parks, Sea World, Movieworld, Wet n Wild Water World, Dreamworld, Whitewater World x2(?), Sovereign Hill (not really a "theme park" per se, more like a ghost town-esque thing) and the Beachouse)
                              I think the difference may just be that Disney is SO big and runs SO many people through that they get nuke-grade stupid twice a week, minimum.
                              Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                                (list of valid reasons for the Mouse to drop the banhammer elided)

These are all true stories? Please tell me these all actually happened.

Because if so,
                                Yes, in fact there is a whole reddit dedicated to these kind of stories, but I can't seem to find the link.
                                Persephone is the reason for the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X