This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed Doors and Seniors

Okay so I work at a little cinema and in the day it is just me against the general public, god sometimes I just want to smash them with a hammer. (we do have a hammer in our store room that has a sign saying "For use on moron customers..."). So basically the morning routine is get inside, turn off alarm and lock the doors behind you so no customers get it. After that you count up the till, go upstairs and turn on the projectors and all that jazz.

I was counting up the money this morning and made sure it was the right amount. Just as I finished I heard a rattling at the door. Okay so someone wants in out of the rain. She tried to open every door we have and to her surprised they were all locked. These are tinted glass doors so to peer through you need to look like an idiot with your face up against the door. I had to go upstairs which means she would see me walking across the foyer up the stairs. I took a deep breath and jogged across the foyer. As I jogged I heard a tap tap tap on the glass. I just gave a quick and ran the hell upstairs.

Okay so when I came back down she was gone so I quickly opened up and dreaded the moment she would waltz on in. She did and she gave me a look of 'Now you are open' She put all her crap on the counter and said 'I want two tickets for tonight' I was okay with this but was it that urgent you had to tell me to open the doors. I told her '$36 please' and of course my silly mistake ITS TUESDAY! Which means all tickets are $10. She looks up at me and says in a high and mighty way 'Excuse me but it is Tuesday' Oh god I forgot. All morning I was telling myself over and over in my head "its Tuesday its Tuesday don't forget." I apologised and finished the transaction.

So it wasn't that sucky but it just pisses me off when you are clearly closed and people think they are so special that you open for them. I will open when I am good and ready! If you can't get in it means we are CLOSED!!!

Just a little side note with working in a cinema. You hear the same bloody joke about 10 times a day! The one that really gets me is when Seniors ask if I need to see their card so they can get their discount. I say no it is okay because I don't like standing there for 5 minutes while they sift through their purse pulling out every single card and then end up not having it anyway. Some get annoyed when you don't ask and some joke about it but they all say "Why? Do I look old??" So if you ever want to work in a cinema be prepared for the same line everyday, it makes you go mad!
    Last edited by Kim Brody; 08-19-2014, 03:58 AM.
    How have I not killed anyone yet?

I get so irritated by early birds! Serious. We have our hours posted on the website, on the phone recording, and on our doors. Yet every morning it's the same thing. They call, listen to the recording, then stay on the line to ask when we open. They drive by and peer in, or walk up to the doors and stare at them caveman style. "Doors no open! Open! Open!"
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

We usually have a flock of vultures circling our door near opening time.

We're a thrift store, and a lot of them are resellers. AKA, the people who swoop in, pick over the goods, badger employees to violate store policy or safety rules to get them access to more to pick over, then profiteer on charitable donations while ensuring that needy people can't get anything decent at affordable prices because the profiteers have already scooped it up.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

We usually get people standing outside the library before we open, but it's either our "regular all-day wifi users", or those who head straight for the public computers.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post

We're a thrift store, and a lot of them are resellers. AKA, the people who swoop in, pick over the goods, badger employees to violate store policy or safety rules to get them access to more to pick over, then profiteer on charitable donations while ensuring that needy people can't get anything decent at affordable prices because the profiteers have already scooped it up.
          I think I'd be very tempted not to put the best things out until the resellers have been in, picked around and gone.
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

(sigh) Problem is they cycle back a couple or three times/day.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post

How about a Thrift Day where you have to show your food stamps ID/card/whatever they use now to get in? [EBT?] Make it the whole weekend or something, and it be when you first put out the new items?

I know, all of the resellers would start bitching about unfair ... but I think if I was running the store, I would do something where the first week or so an item was first on the racks perhaps you would have them tagged so the person buying them would need to show some form of broke-assedness ID to buy them, just so the resellers wouldn't buy them all up.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

That would bother me a lot, because I'm not broke, but I collect old computers, and will get some of them at thrift stores. It's not like poor people need a computer from 1987 right?

Comment

Quoth Kim Brody View Post
                  Just a little side note with working in a cinema. You hear the same bloody joke about 10 times a day!

So if you ever want to work in a cinema be prepared for the same line everyday, it makes you go mad!
                  Ha ha ha, you think that's limited to working in the movie theaters. Ha ha ha ha.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

^This. If I had a fiver for every time I've heard "Hee hee, if it doesn't scan, then it must be free!" I'd be a billionaire by now. -.-

Early birds annoy me, too. Whenever I do an opening shift at the petrol station, I much prefer to do inside cuz we get all these idiots driving into the petrol station and then getting pissy after being told that we're not open. We have our opening times at the entrance and on the doors; the fact that these people can't read doesn't mean that we're going to let them buy petrol early. What's really annoying is that sometimes it's the same damn customers every time; they ought to remember the last zillion times they tried this, it didn't work!
                    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                      We usually get people standing outside the library before we open, but it's either our "regular all-day wifi users", or those who head straight for the public computers.
                      Ugh. I remember this from my library days. Drove me crazy. Especially when security would let me in, but not homeless joe over there and they'd get all upset about it. It's like, dude, do you want the computers to be on and working for your pr0n fix? Cuz I use that time to make sure all the computers work. You go over there.

It's not as bad at the hospital; our problem is more with late people.
                      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                        That would bother me a lot, because I'm not broke, but I collect old computers, and will get some of them at thrift stores. It's not like poor people need a computer from 1987 right?
                        Nah, but resellers can make a nice profit on them if they know what they're doing.

Speakin of which it's been over a year since I've moved and I've yet to locate a decent place for obtaining old computer gear... my fleet of rustbuckets is doomed!
                        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I worked at Hallmark a few years ago, and our computer system had a fault. The clock ran slow, and throughout the year, would get further and further behind (was a known problem and would get reset once a year). When it was close to "reset time", the clock would be more than 10 minutes behind. Now, after the background, here was the main problem. We had to open and close by that clock. I would routinely have a line outside the gate, yelling at me to open up. Didn't matter how often I said "I can't. I will lose my job!", I was inconveniencing them. Because cards and ornaments are so bloody important!
                          "People can be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their god-given right to be stupid." from Seize the Night by Dean Koontz

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            Ha ha ha, you think that's limited to working in the movie theaters. Ha ha ha ha.
                            Haha I guess it isn't :P
                            How have I not killed anyone yet?

Comment

Someone left a voicemail on our system recently. It was the sound of their phone being hung up while the caller muttered, "What do you mean IT'S CLOSED??"

This was before 8 am. We open at 9. We have never opened earlier than 8.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X