Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how is it that people don't know what email is?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how is it that people don't know what email is?

I seriously just had the dumbest person ever, putting aside the fact that his zip code is "georgia" (sorry, that would be considered your state, thank you but I'm afraid you do not win this round). But it gets better, I asked if he would like an email copy of his confirmation and he said "yes, I would" then there was awkward silence while I was hoping he would give me his email address... no, so I ask him for his email address, and he said "oh, it's the same as the billing address"... umm, really, do you really have no idea how email works? You don't what a shame.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

some of the older people at work dont know when to single click versus double click

this means that the site has to load twice and takes a few seconds longer, which leads them to double clicking again and again and again and AGAIN and then complaining that their computer is broken

one woman on my team doesnt know what the address bar is on the computer (she calls a giga byte a jigger byte) and constantly rings up the IT department and tells them her computer is broken because its not displaying a website properly..... when she has the search results for that website because once again, instead of typing the site address into the address bar, she types it into the search engine

she says "they all look the same to me"

ARUGH
    Last edited by Kiwi; 02-16-2008, 11:10 PM.
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Its common throughout the elder generations.
      Theres also the people that don't work with computers at all.

Only drives me nuts when I have to work with people that have no idea how to turn on the computer. It causes many headaches!
      Be like the flower that perfumes the very hand that crushes it.

Comment

Actually, I was talking to a young woman about a week ago, trying to set up an event for a social group I help with. I asked if I could have an email for booking. She told me, "blahdeblah dot com."

ME: No, I need your email address.

Clueless: Blahdeblah dot com.

ME: (a bit disbelieving) Ma'am, an email address needs an "at" in it.

Clueless: Blahdeblah dot com is all you need! I THINK I know about email addresses! *cliick*

Um. Ok. You can think that all you like, but you'd be wrong. Just goes to show, stupid doesn't care how old you are.
        We have enough youth. How about a "Fountain of Smart"?

Comment

I used to get the 'Oh, it's too hard for me, can't you just do it?"

Ah... no - it's not too hard, you're just dumb and want to fob your work off to someone else. How about you try opening up your braincells for a few minutes and pay attention to learn what to do...????

Is that a bit too harsh...???

Slyt
          When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

what scares me more are the YOUNGER people who don't know about e-mail, or how to access a website, etc..... maybe the ones I ran into were just playing dumb - but I'm afraid they weren't. How do you get out of school without having to use a computer at some point in time?

I think this is why colleges have that stupid "Computer 101" class that they force you to take - I never took it, but I attended several schools and was always amazed that they had this class..... and no, you couldn't really test out of it - I tried to and it wasn't anything about how to use an application or anything like that - it was questions like "If you worked for an accounting firm and needed to use software to create a report for the first quarter, which software would you use".... and then it would list several programs I'd never heard of - really, how often do you get to choose the program you work within in a company? Usually you use whatever the heck they told you that you had to use. I don't remember the other questions in the "testing out" test - but they were equally as stupid.

Comment

ughh i hate thoose tests. I'd prefer it to be how do you change fonts which of theese is a spreadsheet tool how do you make excel formulas etc.

Comment

I hardly raise an eyebrow at en elderly who can't use e-mail for one reason or another, but when I come across someone my age or a touch older who can't, that is when I have a problem.

If you're under 70, how could you possibly not know what e-mail is? Even if you're over 70, to some degree, I would imagine you would need to make a conscious effort to maintain this lack of knowledge!

Comment

Quoth air914 View Post
                  - it was questions like "If you worked for an accounting firm and needed to use software to create a report for the first quarter, which software would you use".... and then it would list several programs I'd never heard of -
                  oh oh oh, I think I know the answer to this, depending on the choices it is either quick book, quicken, or peachtree...

granted, if I don't know that I'm in trouble (currently a business major at SLCC aspiring to be an accounting major at the U).
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

at a college level they shouldn't be asking about accounting software mainly because for colelge it comes down to word and excel and possibly the occasional access databse...

Comment

The last week of training for my job (out of 8) is IT training, there is a Computer 101 class in that, send an email, set a signature, attach files, create word/excel/powerpoint presentations that sort of thing, stuff I can do with my eyes closed but plenty of people struggled.
                      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Working...
                      X