Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customers Who Did Not Get the Animals They Came For (LONG)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customers Who Did Not Get the Animals They Came For (LONG)

When I worked for Red Dog Blue Cat Store, I was authorized to refuse a sale of a live animal for any reason, though I'd have to answer to the manager if they complained and I was found to have refused the sale for reasons unrelated to the animal's health and well being. It was small protection against the innumerable SCs who bought and mistreated pets or the poor health our deliveries arrived in, but it was better than nothing. I wielded this power only for good, and rather enjoyed the reactions from people when I denied them the right to purchase and abuse animals. The following are only a few of those stories.

Sir, I can't sell you this parakeet. You smell too bad.

We had a regular customer who, though not particularly sucky, was always very short with anyone helping him. He also stank to high heaven. I'm not talking about "gosh, take a shower!" I'm talking, his armpits should have been registered as lethal weapons. It was so bad that, one morning when I'd been forced to come in despite being so sick I had puked seven times between clocking in and this customer's arrival, my manager raced out of the back office to help him. She was that afraid that my queasy stomach would result in his being covered in vomit if I had to smell him.

He liked to buy parakeets, one at a time. He bought food and cuttlebones and generally indicated he was actually caring for them, not feeding them to something. However, it soon became alarming that he was purchasing them at such a rapid rate. When he'd bought one every week for the past three weeks, my manager confronted him.

SC= Stinky Customer
    CM: Cool Manager

CM: "We've sold you three parakeets in three weeks. Do you still have those?"

SC: "Yes." (puzzled)

CM: "What kind of cage are you keeping them in?"

SC walked over to the cage display and pointed to a cage hardly big enough for two.

CM: "I'm afraid that's a bit too small for three parakeets. I'll need you to buy another cage if you want another bird."

SC: *grunt* "They're all in my bedroom, y'know?"

CM: "The cage location doesn't really matter. It's just too small."

SC: "I can't afford another cage right now. That's why I have parakeets, they're cheap."

CM: "Then I'm afraid we'll have to stop selling you parakeets."

SC: "Fine."

To his credit, he didn't throw a fit, nor did he return to try to trick other employees into selling birds to him. He just walked out, and never again did we see him nor the cloud of green haze that wafted in the door with him. As he left, my manager walked over and confided:

CM: "I'm going to write a note in the back office not to sell any more birds to the man who smells so bad it makes you nauseous. With his hygiene, I'm worried that his house isn't a safe place for birds."

She did, and for the rest of my tenure at the store, a sticky note remained in the back room saying, "The man who smells so bad it makes you nauseous may not purchase birds."

Parakeets =/= Food.

We had a customer who owned a caiman. He and his girlfriend were regulars. They also had a kitten, which was very cute. I worried about its being in the same house with the caiman, but no harm came to it. He actually seemed a decent sort, despite his ownership of an animal unsuited for being kept as a pet, until one afternoon I was on register and he approached with a box containing a parakeet...

CG: Caiman Guy
    Me: Yours Truly
    ML: Manager Lady

CG: "Yeah, this'll be it."

Me: (looking at the form he has to fill out to buy an animal, and finding it blank) "Oh, could you just fill this out here? You need it for your 14 day guarantee."

CG: "I told the guy who caught the bird for me I didn't need it. You can just toss that."

Me: "Oh, really? Actually, I'm required to have this for every animal we sell- we can get in trouble with corporate for not doing them, since this is where the customer agrees to take good care of the pet."

CG: "I really won't be needing that. I'm just going to toss it in with my caiman. It's not going to last 14 hours, much less 14 days."

Me: "Excuse me, sir, let me just check with my manager about that." (I page the manager, who confirms that we do NOT sell parakeets as food).

Me: "Sorry, I can't sell you this parakeet for food."

CG: "But I've bought them here before...."

Me: "If you told the employee it was for food, or didn't fill out the slip, the employee is at fault for selling the bird. Do you remember who helped you before?"

CG: "Yeah, it was Dumb Jock."

Me: "I'll have a word with him. Meanwhile, though, I can't sell you this parakeet for food."

CG: "Okay, what if I fill out the form and SAY it's a pet?" *wink wink*

Me: "NO."

I turned the patented Glare of Death on him, he cowered and acquiesced.

CG: "I'll just go somewhere else."

He stomped off, and I returned the poor parakeet to its habitat. Moments later, Dumb Jock got a Lecture of Doom (tm) and the back room got another sticky note:

"The caiman owner with green hair and an eyebrow piercing, whose girlfriend dyed their cat for Halloween, may not buy any animals except those sold specifically as live food."

You put your Angelfish in WHAT?!

A customer with two young sons came in while I was working the fish department. He lingered in front of the Angelfish for a few minutes, so I came up and offered help.

SD: Sucky Dad
    Me:
    Kid One: Older son, 9ish
    Kid Two: 7ish

Me: "Can I help you find anything?"

SD: "Yeah, I was thinking I ought to get another angelfish. Do you have any that don't get too big?"

Me: "Freshwater or salt?"

SD: "Fresh."

Me: "I can't guarantee it. The freshwater Angels are of assorted species, and most get quite large- up to nine inches in length, sometimes larger. Some do stay small, but not knowing the exact species when they come in, I couldn't point them out."

SD: "Damn, that sucks. See, I had an angelfish, and he got, like, the size of a dinner plate."

Me: "That's not uncommon. If you want a smaller fish the same shape, I have a few barbs that are similar."

SD: "Yeah, he was too big for the tank anymore. So I put him down the garbage disposal."

Me:

Kid One: "IT WAS SO COOL!"

Kid Two: "Pieces went EVERYWHERE!"

Kid One: "Can we do that again when the new one gets big?"

Me: "Ah, I'm afraid I'm going to have to decline to sell any fish to you, sir. We encourage our customers to rehome their fish or bring them to us for adoption if they can no longer keep them, and we STRONGLY discourage the INHUMANE disposal of fish."

SD: "What?"

Me: "In simple terms, I'm not selling you any fish knowing what you did to your last one. Is there anything not alive I can help you find?"

He grabbed his sons by the shoulders and left the store in a huff. I went into the break room and seethed for a while, yelling random things about parenting, the decline of society, and where serial killers come from.

I don't think you're going to get the intended results...

Two boys came into the store, having found a small garter snake in their yard. We got this kind of thing pretty often in the summer, so I was used to encouraging them to feed the garter snake a guppy or two and then let it go.

B1: Boy One
    B2: Boy 2
    Me: Have you figured this out yet?

B1: "We found this snake in our yard..."

B2: "Yeah, it has stripes and it's like this big." (indicates a little over a foot)

Me: "Sounds like a garter snake. Congratulations on catching it! They're fascinating animals to observe, but really best left in the wild, though keeping it for a couple days might be fun."

B1: "Okay, well, what can we feed it? We put it in a bowl with some dirt."

Me: "A guppy would be a good choice. I can get you a little guppy and you just put it in the snake's water bowl- he'll eat it. Some people feed them goldfish, but members of the carp family aren't really ideal snake food."

B2: "A fish? That sounds boring."

Me: "You could try catching an insect like a grasshopper, or getting some large feeder crickets for it. Garter snakes primarily eat fish and insects in the wild."

B1: "How about a hamster?"

B2: "What about those guinea pigs?"

Me: "Garter snakes don't really eat rodents. Even if they did, a hamster or guinea pig would be more likely to hurt a snake that small than the other way around."

B1: "Huh. What about the dwarf hamsters? They're small."

Me: "No. Garter snakes don't eat rodents."

B2: "What about a mouse?"

Me: "It'll eat a guppy."

B1: "Oooh, let's feed him a RABBIT!"

Me: "Excuse me, I need to help another customer. Let me know if I can get you a fish or cricket for your snake."

I wandered off to help another customer, and hoped the boys would leave before I had to outright refuse to sell anything to them without a parent present- the last thing I wanted was to deal with an angry parent believing her son should be able to buy a rodent, totally unsupervised, with no intention of taking good care of it. Sadly, they had not yet disappeared. They returned, wearing angelic expressions, and pleaded:

B1: "Ma'am, would you please get us a hamster?"

B2: "For our sister's birthday!"

.....Do I look THAT stupid? No, don't answer that, please. I stood there, dumbfounded for a moment, then burst out in laughter and walked away. The two little boys looked at each other, shrugged, and finally left the store.

Sorry, we don't take trade-ins.

During one of the busiest days of the year, the day when we hold our annual adoption event, a man appeared with a gerbil in a tiny carrier. The poor thing looked miserable as did the kids trailing after him.

SM: Sucky Man
    Me:
    VBM: Very Busy Manager

SM: "Yeah, hi, could I trade this for a hamster?"

Me: "Are you returning the gerbil? Do you have your receipt?"

SM: "No, listen, I don't want it anymore. I want a hamster. I want to trade."

Me: "We don't really do that, sir."

SM: "Okay, well then you can just buy it from me, and I'll buy a hamster with the money."

Me: "We also don't buy animals from the public. If you don't want the gerbil anymore, I'd be glad to put it up for adoption, with my manager's permission."

SM: "What, so you can profit off it and I get to pay twice? No, I want to trade it for a hamster."

Me: "We don't charge an adoption fee for animals surrendered by the public, sir- they're free to good homes, with an optional donation to the non-profit Red Dog Blue Cat Foundation."

SM: "Well that's fine and dandy for you, but what about me? I want a HAMSTER, and I'm not paying $12 for a damn hamster!"

Me: "I'm only able to offer to take the gerbil off your hands and find it a good home, and actually I'm going to decline to sell a hamster unless you purchase a cage and the necessary accessories to care for it- so plan on about $60, at least."

SM: "$60? $60? See here, I'm the customer and you're the employee. You do what I WANT!"

Me: "I can get a manager for you if you like. She'll stand by my decision."

SM: "Fine! Get one!"

Me: (pages manager)

VBM: "Can I help you?"

SM: "Yes, your hired help there is being VERY rude. I just want to trade this gerbil for a hamster."

VBM: "I'm sorry, we don't do that. We can take the gerbil for adoption, though."

SM: "No, I don't want to give it away, I paid good money for it! I just want a hamster instead."

Me: "VBM, I also mentioned to him that since that traveling carrier is obviously far too small to house that gerbil, he'll need to buy a cage and accessories if he wants a hamster."

SM: "That's RIDICULOUS! Like I told your employee there, I'm the customer, and I tell YOU what I'll buy, not the other way around. Now, will you just take this gerbil and give me a hamster instead?"

VBM: "Actually, Saydrah is correct. I trust her judgement, and if she doesn't feel it's wise to sell you a hamster without a cage, I agree."

SM: "Well, if you don't need the gerbil, you can just kill it or feed it to a snake and give me a hamster."

VBM: "No, and with that attitude toward a pet, I'm not selling you anything."

SM: "That's RIDICULOUS! I'm going to PETSMART!"

Me: "That's fine, but you should know they don't even take adoption animals in from the public, much less take trades."

SM: "What would YOU know?"

Me: .....

SM: (hands me his Red Dog Blue Cat discount card) "Cut this up for me will you? I'm NEVER SHOPPING HERE AGAIN!!!!"

He stomped out, taking the sniffling kids with him, along with the poor gerbil, which I wasn't able to get him to hand over. I hope Petsmart had better luck taking it away from him somehow...

I took a 15 minute break to calm down, and spent it pacing angrily, waving my arms and yelling.
    My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Re: Angelfish guy- There is a special place in hell for some people...
    I HATE stupid people!

Comment

..... Wow.

Um. Wow. And... like, here I thought that, animals were, creatures, with, feelings and emotions and personities...

These people are. Wow.

On the otherside. How the HECK can those guys own a alligator!!!???

Side Note Two: I admit, when I was younger, I did a bad thing at a Pet Store. I was tapping a cage with a HUGE bird in it. Clerk was /rude/ to me. (Now though, I TOTALLY understand what she did, and I totally deserved it).
      Military Spouse Support.
      http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
      Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Oh my god--how do people like that live with themselves?! Just because a small rodent or a budgie might cost less than $20 that doesn't mean it deserves to be abused or killed. Saydrah's right about the origin of serial killers...

Comment

Quoth jayel View Post
          Re: Angelfish guy- There is a special place in hell for some people...
          Yes, and I'd be more than happy to help the guy get there...

Evil bastard, and now he's raising his children to be just as evil.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I feel kinda sick after reading that. And disgusted.
            Faith in humanity -5,000
            I'm gonna go throw up now.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Me: "No. Garter snakes don't eat rodents."
              Actually, they do... just not large rodents. For example... I caught a garter snake outside my parents' house once, and brought it in for a photography session. The critter must've been female based on its size, though I didn't probe it to be sure. Well, as a parting gesture of goodwill, I offered it a frozen/thawed fuzzy mouse and a long cool drink of water. The snake happily partook of both.

I also had a couple Florida blue striped garters that were eating mouse pinks.

Incidentally, garters cannot survive on a diet of fish alone. There is some chemical in the fish (I forget what exactly) that causes them to become deficient in a particular mineral (again, not sure what exactly) if fish are their only/main food source, so a fish-only diet spells eventual death for the poor garter.

I'm also not a garter expert in general, but I don't think crickets are their preferred prey. IIRC Ribbon and green snakes are the only snakes whose diet consists primarily of insects.

Slightly off-topic advice: cornsnakes do NOT eat crickets. Most snakes will not eat crickets. Anybody buying a pet snake better be prepared to feed it mammalian prey (ie: mice, etc.), and frozen/thawed is considerably safer and more humane than live prey.

More on-topic, I admit to having gone through the non-feeder pet for food thingy myself... See, sometimes you get a bunch of stubborn cornsnake hatchlings that won't eat mice no matter how you offer it to them. In such cases you need to do what's called "lizard scenting", which involves rinsing the mouse-scent off the mouse and putting a piece of lizard skin (typically anole) on the nose of the pinky. It's a fairly reliable method for getting certain fussy lines of cornsnakes started on mice. Buuuut... it's tough to find a place that will sell anoles for said purpose. About the only place in town that does so has serious health issues, so I admit to lying to the red dog/blue cat people about the fate of little lizzie once or twice. >.> The alternative is throwing the baby snakes in the freezer since its kinder than letting them starve themselves to death, and since one anole is plenty for a large number of fussy corns, I consider it a net-gain in critter survival. Again, note: this is not done often, and I try not to work with lines with this tendency, though sometimes it can't be avoided if the genetic traits are new.

Comment

There are just no words.

Other than that I hope Angelfish Guy gets to find out what it's like to be on the *receiving* end of a garbage disposal, of course.
                ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

You learn something every day!

I didn't know garters can eat rodents, probably because I never caught or saw one big enough to eat anything besides maybe a tiny mouse pinky. However, I don't think I caused any nutritional deficiencies, because besides those two annoying boys, I was batting 1000 with convincing all the kids who caught them and came into the store seeking food to let them go after a couple of guppies or crickets. When I've found them in the summer, I usually offer a few crickets before releasing them again (and by found them, I mean INDOORS- happens weirdly often to me, for some reason... I'll be at work or shopping and find a snake)!

Anoles, I can sort of understand feeding, since that's a natural part of their diet; and, well, so are birds to a caiman, but budgies are the second most intelligent of all birds! Second only to the African Grey, which can learn to count, do math, use words in context, etc. It's just wrong to feed something that smart to a caiman just because you enjoy watching it be caught IMO, it's just plain wrong to own a caiman. Which they realized when it got too big for the bathtub, and traded it in to the reptile store for another baby one

Comment

Sadly, having worked in multiple shelters, vet clinics and one zoo, I'm not overly shocked by the OP's post. Some people just suck, or are of the opinion that animals are lower life forms, and theirs to do with as they wish, including absolute cruelty.

Quoth TheSnakeLady View Post
                    Anybody buying a pet snake better be prepared to feed it mammalian prey (ie: mice, etc.), and frozen/thawed is considerably safer and more humane than live prey.
                    And I must second all of this. Working with live prey can lead to all kinds of unintended and bad results - including the prey hurting the snake, and/or the snake learning to associate movement with food and striking at you while you're trying to handle the snake.
                    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I wouldn't mind having an egg eating snake, but I'm told they're very aggressive, expensive to feed (need pheasant and quail eggs), and only really suited for experienced handlers.

That said, yes, thanks to both of you for mentioning that frozen/thawed is the most humane option for snakes- for both the prey AND the snake! I about killed the Dumb Jock coworker when he talked a little boy who'd been feeding f/t into trying a live mouse (we were out of f/t) and the mouse killed the boy's snake

Comment

Wow ...just ...wow

I mean, when I used to work for Red Dog & Blue Cat, I only denied people if they didn't have the proper supplies and were unwilling to buy them.

(For an example "But the cage, food, and bedding is too expensive! Can't I just keep it in that cardboard box you guys give it to me in and feed it cheese?")

Most of the time though, all I needed to do is discourage them. Like this one guy wanted to buy a parakeet as a decoration. I saw no harm in it at first ( didn't like it though) since he was willing to buy everything and then some, until this:

Mr. Homemaker *to his friend* : So, what kind of incense should we burn? I was thinking "African Safari".

Me: Actually, sir, you can't burn incense. A parakeet's lungs are very small and fragile. The smoke could either get them really sick, or most likely kill them. Same goes for cigarettes and cigars.

Mr. Homemaker: But I have to burn incense or my house won't smell pretty! And everyone who goes to my house-parties smoke! Can't you just sell me a parakeet with better lungs?

*Jade's Moron Sensor: Warning! Warning! Intelligent communication impossible!*

Me: No, no more then can I sell you a parakeet that isn't messy.

Mr. Homemaker: What do you mean?

Me: Well, see this cage *points to enclosure* It's clean now since I cleaned it a few hours ago. But, most likely, it'll be semi-dirty by the time the store closes. Took me awhile to clean it too, with all the poop sticking to the glass. Yucky, especially when it's fresh, gets all over the place. And good thing this cage is glass, because if it wasn't, everything would be all over the floor. Bedding, parts of the food they don't like, feathers, poop, and used millet stalks.

Mr. Homemaker: I think I'll just get some fish.

Me: Ok, have a nice day

I know, I'm evil, but it was for the parakeet's well-being and I didn't feel like getting into a arguement with the GM. Unfortunatly, he was the "Just let them buy the animal no matter what, just make money" type.
                        Last edited by Jade Pheonix; 02-18-2008, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Quoth Jade Pheonix View Post
                          Me: Well, see this cage *points to enclosure* It's clean now since I cleaned it a few hours ago. But, most likely, it'll be semi-dirty by the time the store closes. Took me awhile to clean it too, with all the poop sticking to the glass. Yucky, especially when it's fresh, gets all over the place. And good thing this cage is glass, because if it wasn't, everything would be all over the floor. Bedding, parts of the food they don't like, feathers, poop, and used millet stalks.
                          Smoothly done. I bow to you!
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
                            SD: "Yeah, he was too big for the tank anymore. So I put him down the garbage disposal."

Kid One: "IT WAS SO COOL!"

Kid Two: "Pieces went EVERYWHERE!"

Kid One: "Can we do that again when the new one gets big?"
                            When I was a kid, there was a neighborhood bully/sadist down the block who did things like that all the time. I witnessed numerous torture sessions involving firecrackers, grinding machines, model airplane propellers, fire and some things even more horrendous used on animals. The bully took great pride in forcing us little kids to watch whatever he did. His father thought it was hilarious - except when it made a mess on his car.

Sadly, the bully eventually attacked another kid in his class with a metal pipe. The victim had serious head and brain injuries and the bully was sent away to juvenile detention/jail.
                            "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                            .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Working with live prey can lead to all kinds of unintended and bad results - including the prey hurting the snake
                              This is the primary one. Some snakes are scared of live prey. Some snakes aren't eager feeders. Some snakes aren't always accurate with their strikes and constrictions. If for whatever reason the snake doesn't eat the mouse right away, or doesn't get a proper grip on the mouse for constriction, the snake can easily wind up chewed on. (They aren't very good at self-defense.)

and/or the snake learning to associate movement with food and striking at you while you're trying to handle the snake.
                              Not so much... I have a good number of snakes who are VERY likely to strike at movement -- but only if they smell mouse! If they smell mouse, they get all excited and then anything that moves is fair game. Note: I feed frozen/thawed, but my adults are eager feeders. The mouse doesn't even hit the bottom of the cage before most of them have snagged it. Outside of feeding time, these snakes are all easily handleable and don't bite (though some of them are a bit headstrong when they decide they want to go somewhere).

If you MUST feed live (as in, the snake won't eat anything else), at least stun the prey before offering it to the snake, AND monitor the snake until the prey is consumed. Note, however... I have heard stories of people that were right there watching, and the mouse still got a few well-aimed bites in before they could intervene -- poor snake only had one eye after that.

I wouldn't mind having an egg eating snake, but I'm told they're very aggressive, expensive to feed (need pheasant and quail eggs), and only really suited for experienced handlers.
                              Can't help you on the personality part, but you can get around the expense just by keeping a few pet Coturnix quail. You only need females (unless you intend to breed them), as they lay eggs every day like chickens. And besides, they're a pretty neat (if very unintelligent) pet... just line the ceiling of their cage with bubblewrap or some other padding. >.<

Seriously though, if you want a pet snake, get a cornsnake. They're probably the best pet snake out there in terms of temperment, feeding response, and size. They don't get big like boas, they don't go off their food for months at a time like ball pythons do, and they don't fling poo like california kingsnakes do (yes, a snake that flings poo).

Oh yeah, and in general you're better off getting a snake from a reputable breeder than a pet store, though some stores are better than some breeders. And you tend to get what you pay for (cheap $5 snakes aren't usually as good a deal as they sound).

On the caiman issue, eesh! You can't keep a caiman in a bathtub! Crocadilians need an actual enclosure built for them, and even the smallest caiman can get about 6 feet! I'm not saying people can't own caimans, but they need to do it responsibly. Then again, I'm not sure what a pet store is doing selling caimans to Joe Average...
                              Last edited by TheSnakeLady; 02-18-2008, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X