This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Fun" at the Doctor's Office (long)

Hi everybody! I'm new and this is my first post here. I posted a "hello" on the main forum, but in case you haven't read it, I'll recap: I'm an admin assistant at a university in the U.S., working to pay bills while my husband is in graduate school. My current job isn't too sucky, but I've had some pretty sucky situations in the past, one of which I'd like to share now.

I worked as a receptionist in a doctor's office a few years back during the months before my first semester of graduate school started. There were always lots of sucky patients, but this particular person took the cake.

Background: our office had a policy that new patients had to arrive 30 minutes early to fill out paperwork, no exceptions. Additionally, if you arrived more than 15minutes late to your appointment, you would be asked to reschedule. All patients are told this when they make their appointments.

So, one day this woman comes in with her newborn to get the baby's first check-up. Because the baby was a new patient, she needed to get there early for paperwork. The woman finally turned up 45 minutes past her appointment time, not to mention missing that 30 minutes early thing altogether. So, combined, she was an hour and 15 minutes late. Also, it was now past noon, and we didn't take appointments over lunch. I went and checked with the doctor (let's call him Dr. Doctorson) to see if he would see her anyway, and he said no.

I inform her of this and she seems fine with it, makes another appointment, and leaves. That wasn't the end, of course. About 20 minutes later, I answer the phone and a very angry man starts yelling in my ear.

SM: obnoxious, entitled jerk
    Me: appalled receptionist

SM: Yeah, my wife was just in there to see Dr. Doctorson and someone told her she couldn't be seen!

Me: Yes, sir, that's correct. She arrived 45 minutes past her appointment time. Additionally, she was supposed to arrive 30 minutes prior to her appointment time to fill out paperwork. Our policy states that if you arrive 15 minutes past your appointment time, you will be asked to reschedule.

SM: That's ridiculous! I want to talk to Dr. Doctorson!

Me: Sir, the doctor is the one who told me when your wife was here that he would be unable to see her today.

SM: (barrage of cursing and abusive language) My wife had to HURRY to get over there! What if she had gotten in an accident and DIED just to try and get there in time to meet your (bleeping) policy?!?!

Me: Well, sir, she was told when she made the appointment what time she needed to arrive.

SM: (more cursing and swearing at me, telling me that I'm an idiot, and how we don't care about his wife, we just want their money, blah blah blah) ...and we're never setting foot in that clinic again!

Me: Well, I'm sorry you feel that way sir, but...

SM: (more cursing) *CLICK*

I was really upset. I had never had anyone swear at me like that or be so abusive, so I started crying and had to leave the desk for a minute. I wrote up a report and gave it to the head doctor, who declared that family was not allowed in our clinic anymore.

Think that's the end? No, not quite.

A few days later, in comes this jerk with his wife and baby.

SM: Yeah, we have an appointment with Dr. Pediatrician.

Me: Sir, Dr. Pediatrician works in the office next door. (we shared a building with the pediatrician's office, which had its own entrance about 10 feet away from ours)

SM: I know, but we could only find a parking space in front of your office. I know there's a back door that connects your office with theirs. Let us go through it.

Me: I'm sorry, sir, but I can't let you do that. There is confidential information back there and patients aren't allowed to...

SM: Whatever. (grabs his wife and starts heading for the "employee only" door)

Me: Sir! Excuse me! You are NOT allowed back there. You will have to go outside and through the entrance into the other office!

SM: But it's (bleeping) HOT outside!!

Finally, his wife grabbed him and dragged him outside. Thankfully, I never saw them again!
    "Thank God for the idiots: but for them, the rest of us could not succeed." ~Mark Twain

Yes, I too worked in a medical office during a transitional period and we never had one quite like that one. You probably get your fair share of people complaining to the SECRETARY about their BILL, instead of talking to the BILLER, who is out of the office today/helping another patient/a 3rd party contractor.

This job is one of the few jobs I have had where it is acceptable to be "firm" with "customers" who give you a hard time. My old boss (the Doctor) actually told me not to take any shit from people. That didn't mean I got to be a bitch, but it did mean that I wouldn't get in trouble for standing up for myself.

We got some elderly people who would get pissy if you asked them what type of insurance they had. These were the folks on Medicare/Secure Horizons; hey, some of you actually have BS/BS or another commercial brand... (This was 9 or 10 years ago).

Rock on!
    I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

'Entitlement' doesn't even begin to describe that jerk! Another classic example of someone who thinks the world revolves around them and they can do what they please, rules be damned. Then coming back in to your office, having made an appointment with another doctor, and demanding to go through the employee area to get to their office?? That guy's hiding a large pair somewhere, that's for sure.
      A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

What would you bet that the wife and child both wound up abused by that jerk?

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
          What would you bet that the wife and child both wound up abused by that jerk?
          Better than even odds, someone that aggresive/control freak/emotionally unstable
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth StarSong View Post

SM: What if she had gotten in an accident and HURT BADILY just to try and get there in time to meet your (bleeping) policy?!?!
            See, me being the jackass I am, would have replied

ME: Well Sir, if she got hurt, she'd probably be seeing the doctor now....
            Military Spouse Support.
            http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
            Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
              See, me being the jackass I am, would have replied

ME: Well Sir, if she got hurt, she'd probably be seeing the doctor now....
              To this day, I really have no idea how I got through that conversation in a calm, polite way without unleashing a large piece of my mind on the guy. It's probably because I was so shocked that someone would act like that much of a jerk.
              "Thank God for the idiots: but for them, the rest of us could not succeed." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth StarSong View Post

SM: (barrage of cursing and abusive language) My wife had to HURRY to get over there! What if she had gotten in an accident and DIED just to try and get there in time to meet your (bleeping) policy?!?!
                To borrow the time honoured phrase,

Well sir, she should have allowed more time for her journey.

Always warms my heart to say that.

(normally used on speeders who say they were late, sometime officers may delay them as the radio is uh busy so not all the checks can be done right away. )
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth StarSong View Post
                  SM: (barrage of cursing and abusive language) My wife had to HURRY to get over there!
                  Poor planning on her part does not constitute an emergency on ours.
                  This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Working...
                  X