This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my phone is shit....

It's a Samsung Galaxy 3 Android AT&T GoPhone, and it keeps telling me that my storage is full and I need to delete some items.

I HAVE TRIED

Again and again and again. I have removed all photos and videos, weeded out contacts I no longer need, deleted all texts and log info except for a couple of notes on calls I made to unemployment lines this year (which I may NEED to prove that I tried to contact them if they should question me).

It STILL keeps telling me that my storage is full and I can't figure out what else to remove! I want to remove the DirecTv app but it WILL NOT LET ME, there is no option to delete this. Same with the Google Play Store and a couple other things that I never use.

I am at my wit's end, what else can I delete??

I want to upgrade this piece of shit but I cannot do it right now. After buying a new furnace and dealing with a cat emergency and subsequent very sad ending, I don't have the money now.

Any other suggestions??
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

If it has a slot, get a micro-SD card. Transfer as many files and as many apps as possible to the SD card (please note that if they update then they will be automatically moved back to internal storage).

Another thing is stop installing updates on anything not needed, and any apps that you don't use that won't affect other apps (Play Store isn't one of them, unfortunately) disable and clear the cache/storage as much as possible. If you have the Amazon or Kindle apps then make sure they get moved; they are large files.

As many apps as possible, fiddle with the settings so that any files (e.g. music, Kindle books, etc.) are stored on the SD card.

Once it reaches a certain point there is nothing else you can delete/move, so you won't have any choice but to upgrade. I had to do it recently on my old phone, as I'd run out of things that could be moved/deleted. I'd put it off as long as possible as my late stepdad bought me the phone, but after that there's no way to avoid it.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

It's 10 years old. Also, if you have a SD card the phone may have decided it's worn out and have set it to 'read-only'.

Also look really close at whether you *need* that level of phone.
      I gotten good usage out of $30-50 AT&T prepaid (used to be GoPhone) phones picked up at my local Smith's/Kroger grocery store.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Sounds like maybe the card is full and you're emptying the internal storage, or vice versa. Removing notes and contacts will only gain you enough memory back to store a new note or contact, but removing videos and pictures should have made some kind of difference. Perhaps a setting has been flipped so it's trying to save internally when it shouldn't.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Pictures, videos, contacts, etc. make up very little of the space on your phone. It is the apps that take up the bulk of it. And every time you phone updates those apps, they get bigger. I had to replace my S4 for that reason.

Do you have an SD card? If not get one. Move your exist pictures, videos & music to it. Make sure to set up your camera to store to it.

Sometimes, you can move apps to the SD card too. I have had bad luck with that.

And let's not get into Bloatware, like DirectTV. That is best left to Fratching.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

If your phone supports it, disable apps you can't remove and don't want - that should uninstall any updates to that app, which frees up a bit of space.
            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

I don't have a smart phone. Is there not a factory reset that will wipe everything?

Comment

You may also have been infected with a virus, which is filling your storage. Check the 'net or bring it to an expert....

Comment

MalwareBytes also does a few Mobile versions (through the Google Play store, if nothing else) that can clear out a good deal of infections. (Unless they're pre-installed system services...)

Comment

I don't think it could have a virus, I hardly ever use it to go online because most of the time I can't get online with it unless I'm at home. Tumblr, Discord and Youtube are the only sites I go to on it, and that's not often. I definitely haven't downloaded anything onto it from any of those sites.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I did a little checking and it seems this model of phone has a problem with this. On past versions of the OS, you needed to use a code to get into the hidden error log if clearing the cache or installing a larger SD card didn't work.

What I found was to dial *#9900# on the phone and then select from menu - delete dumpstate/logcat

Now I don't know if this will work. The fix was from a couple years back. Like with all things, use caution. If this works, it's letting you into the deep menus that most were never ment to touch. You may want to use software to pull those text messages into a backup before trying

Comment

Working...
                      X