This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All I wanna do is go home.

Let me first say I understand and appreciate why they did this. The heart behind it was good. They wanted to fix this for me ASAP. But the timing is off.

My AC unit works, just not well enough. I submitted a work order online Sunday night detailing that the air coming out the vent is colder than going in, just not enough. I wanted it looked at. Maybe it needs recharging. On something simple like fixing a garbage disposal they just do it, no email. (I always give permission to go in with key). I expected a call or email on this, especially considering today is a holiday and it's not a quick fix.

They got the request Monday and while I was at work yesterday (Tues) they took the AC out. Today is the hottest day this week and I'm not at the arctic office because it's Independence Day. If they'd considered that they would've asked if I could wait until Thurs and I'd have said yes. It would go faster that way and I wouldn't be home. So now I'm wasting my evening in the mall. I could be home with the temp at 79 or so which is better than 87. It hit 90 today. That is not a good time to not have AC, working well or not. I don't believe I'll be able to sleep and I'm sleep deprived from last night.

UPDATE: It's back. It needed to be cleaned. It's not powerful enough to bring the whole apt. to 72 but it makes it tolerable and that's alright. Maybe one day I'll get a clearanced one for the bedroom, a portable.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 07-06-2018, 12:50 AM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Clearly they didn't think this through. I hope you get it back tomorrow! Meanwhile try to stay cool! Do you have a window fan or tabletop fan? Anything?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm convinced it's an answered prayer that it has cooled to the low 70s much more quickly than predicted. I have a window fan in the bedroom that works well for the small space and I'll put the big floor fan right on me all night. I hope the neighbors coming home don't wake me up. Normally the AC would block that out. The big fan is doing NOTHING for the living room haha. I left it on in the sliding doorway while I went to the park and then Mart of Walls. (I can do that; on second floor.) I think I need a more powerful fan for that doorway because lots of times you can do that instead of AC. It can be that cool at night even in summer.

At any rate, I feel like this chicken: https://www.accuweather.com/en/video...bmoiwcyxyz5t3v So cute.

Comment

I had an issue with my AC last summer, to a point where I was without any AC for about five days. I live in a southern US state, temps are usually about 95 degrees without the heat index factoring in -- by the time my AC was fixed, the coolest place I had was the damn 24 hour gym. Not fun, no cool, thankfully I had [and still have] the AC under warranty, otherwise that would've been a summer without an AC.

Stay cool and safe, lots of water and fans if you don't have the AC fixed by now.
        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

You can also try buying a bag of ice, pour it all into a large bowl or one of those foam ice chests, and put it in front of the fan so the air blows over the ice. Never tried it but that's supposed to make it nice and cold.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Or something like one of these homebrews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJN3lwVLGxs
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Those work well in a desert environment. I need a dehumidifier but at the prices they want, I may as well get a portable AC for the bedroom. I'm shopping refurbished ones right now.

Comment

To be honest you can get a really compact inexpensive one on Amazon. For a bedroom you shouldn't need more than 5000 btu, and I found one for $129

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W2KG92Y...v_ov_lig_dp_it
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

A portable? I can't have a window unit.

Comment

No it's a window unit, why can't you have a window unit? I know portables are always more expensive in general, but it wouldn't hurt to look around on amazon for one.
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Because it's a vertical window in a thin metal frame. It would be dangerous without some kind of support frame outside the window which I'm not allowed to install. I don't own the building.
                      Last edited by Food Lady; 07-07-2018, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        You can also try buying a bag of ice, pour it all into a large bowl or one of those foam ice chests, and put it in front of the fan so the air blows over the ice. Never tried it but that's supposed to make it nice and cold.
                        Use those reusable Blue Ice packs. Freeze them and put a couple of them in a tray right in front of the window fan. Get several so you can swap them out when they thaw.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          Use those reusable Blue Ice packs.
                          Ooh, good idea! I've never tried the water/ice thing as I'm a complete klutz and would probably knock everything flying, probably blowing up something electrical in the process.
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
                          X