Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry, I'm a what for protecting your credit?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sign my card and write "Ask for ID" on the back. I always thank the person that reads it and asks for my ID.

Comment

Quoth Buglady View Post
      It isn't. Says right in the credit card agreement that nobody ever reads...
      Indeed. It's just that the CC companies, over the past few years, have been increasiongly insistent that they do NOT want retailers ASKING for ID's...o_O Which really makes me wonder if the CC companies just have stock in LifeLock, or if they just realized that not everyone will have the patience to go all the way through the fighting cc fraud" procedure if their card does get used by someone who was not authorized to use it...Kinda like rebates or insurance -- Companies have departments, or just places they hire out, whose primary function is to find ways to deny such claims (note - not trying to debate whether they should or not, wrong site for that ^^ -- I'm just making the point that they *do*)
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
        not quite as bad but still....
        my neice's name is Christine and her hubbys name is Christopher
        My 6th grade science teacher and 7th grade social studies teacher were, respectively, Christine and Christopher, both going by Chris.

Then there are two friends of mine who are Kristina and Christopher, and go by Kristy and Chris.

I've yet to meet a girl with a name that was exclusively male (I have relatives named Toni and Riley, but nothing like Doug or Christopher or Michael).
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I knew a girl named Bret.

Eta: and a girl named Tyler.
          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth Buglady View Post
            It isn't. Says right in the credit card agreement that nobody ever reads...
            Mine says it's valid, and I double-checked at the bank when I received my card. It must be a different-areas or different-banks thing.
            Mine is a bank-debit card though, it's not a credit card. Could that be the issue?
            Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
            http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

I am legally Christopher. But I go by Chris (or CJ - my first two initials)

There were five Chris' in my class alone one year in college. Yet the teacher would get me confused with my friend Mark..... ???
              "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
              Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Quoth zombiequeen View Post
                Mine says it's valid, and I double-checked at the bank when I received my card. It must be a different-areas or different-banks thing.
                Mine is a bank-debit card though, it's not a credit card. Could that be the issue?
                If it doesn't say VISA/MC/AMEX/etc on there, then yes, it likely follows a different set of rules.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  If it doesn't say VISA/MC/AMEX/etc on there, then yes, it likely follows a different set of rules.
                  Even if it does, it can still follow a different set of rules.

Hybrid debit/credit cards often enjoy slightly limited protections as compared to their full credit cousins, and the rules for use are just slightly different, too, depending on the issuing bank.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                    Okay, I'm all for not giving my kids the same name as every other kid in school, but WHO DOES THAT????
                    I don't know but my mother named my brother Christy.

Don't ask me why . . . I don't know what drugs she was on when she delivered him but that's what she picked out.

We lost count of how many letters from Social Security we've gotten over the years that refers to my brother as "she" or "her."
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

DGC - Oh dear. Did she at least give him a more usable middle name to go by?

Then again, he could just make something up -- That's what my Dad did. His real name was Arlen. For reasons never satisfactorily explained, he went by Billy. No part of his name even vaguely resembles Bill or William ~_~

Comment

During the US Civil War there was a General Beverly Robertson (CSA). He died before there were credit cards.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Ahh, gender bending and/or unusual names...(and my first name actually originated as a name for males, not females...)

- The training class for the vertical I now work in at Call Center had a woman named Wesley and a guy named Erin. (Erin is still working there, Wesley isn't.)

- My stepson's middle name is Christen and my stepdaughter's middle name is Christine. Also, their mother named her daughter after herself, though the mother's name is spelled slightly differently.

- My grandfather's middle name was Allison. It was also a male name in those days (he was born in 1910).
                          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            DGC - Oh dear. Did she at least give him a more usable middle name to go by?
                            Not really . . . we both have the same middle name, only his is spelled slightly different.

He simply goes by Chris. And I use my middle name (b/c I don't like my first name, which IMO sounds more like a guy's name.)

So I tell people my mom simply got confused on our first names.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                            X