This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desk chair alternatives

So I'm a full time editor now, and so spend quite a bit of time at my desk in front of my computer. Regular computer chairs just kill my back, so I've been trying out various different things. A kneeling style chair was ok for a few days, then started messing with my knees.

Currently I'm trying out a yoga exercise ball, and this looks like it might work. I can shift around on it, move and stretch and twist, plus it encourages me to keep my spine straight as I balance on it because it moves a bit even if I'm not, really. It is one HELL of a workout, too, especially with music going because I actually dance in place. Got a rather large range of movement, while keeping my hands steady at the keyboard. Will have to wait and see if I still like it in a week.

I have no idea what I'll try next if this doesn't work out. I've already been through 3 or 4 regular chairs also trying to find one that wasn't hideously uncomfortable.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

I sit in my mother's old rocking chair at my computer desk. It's an old probably-cheap chair from the late 60's or early 70's that has lasted pretty well, all things considered. The only downside is it's too comfortable; I sometimes fall asleep just sitting here.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

See if you can find an ergonomic desk chair where the seat tilt is adjustable. If it's tilted forward it's a lot more comfortable for long-term occupation.

Comment

Have you tried a standing desk? I have one of the Varidesk units that sits on a table and lets me use it standing or sitting.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

How about a rope swing? Or one of those 80s-tastic swing-you-upside-down-atrons?
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Most ott thing I've seen is a Zero G workstation. you need a decent reclining chair so you're laying mostflat looking up.
            ludo ergo sum

Comment

Bungee chair. I really like mine. I want to find a highback to try out.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
              X