This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Curse of the Coupon Queen

We don't often get coupons anymore, but occasionally I get customers who have a couple. They usually put the coupon(s) down on top of the relevant item(s).

Then there was this one.

Coupon Queen (CQ)
    Me
    Coworker (CW)
    Supervisor (S)

I've had CQ through my line before, but almost always when I'm on express, so she's got maybe a dozen items and there's never been a problem.

But ...

... our chain was offering a big "points special" in which if you spent, I dunno, $200 or $300 in one go, you got 25,000 points. So people were buying truckloads of food. And this time I was NOT on the express lane ...

And here comes CQ, with a buggy full to near-overflowing. I scan everything and then she says, "Okay, now comes the fun part."

I look up. She is clutching a fistful of coupons.

CW has been helping out by packing groceries, and she reminds me that "You have to write down the original price. On each coupon."

Well, this is great, since everything is packed in bags.

We try to explain to the customer the normal way of using coupons and she insists no, that will affect her points. CW tries to tell her this way will do the same thing.

CQ: "No it won't. I've done it like this before. And if it does affect my points, I'm going to be very upset."

Me (thinks) "Imagine the infinite number of fucks I do not give."

So I start ringing through the coupons. The woman is telling me the original price for each item, and I write it on each coupon. Was she accurate? Probably, but I have no way of ensuring it.

So I type in and mark off coupon after coupon after coupon ... and meanwhile the line is growing.

CQ: "Oh, I'm really keeping you busy, aren't I? Hee hee ..."

Me: *wonders where the Death Eaters are when you need them*

Then my machine flashes a warning: I am typing in too many coupons and need authorization for more.

I call for a supervisor. Lucky for all of us, supervisors here tend to move fast when they're called.

S shows up and authorizes the next coupon.

CQ: "Oh, stick around, there's more!" and she waves several more coupons.

S, to her credit, says nothing but stands aside as I type in each new coupon and she authorizes each one.

Finally, FINALLY, I am done with this PITA customer. She tries to point out on the screen why she needed to do things this way but I'm past listening to her. I give her a curt "Thank you" and turn to the next customer.

After CQ has taken herself and her groceries off, I apologize to the next customer for the delay.

She rolled her eyes. "What the HELL ..."

"Yeah," I said. "I know."

I hope I don't see CQ for a while, even in the express lane. I'm going to be hard put to be my usual cheery self with her.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I have seen grocery stores that have "no candy" check out lanes.

Wouldn't it be nice if they would have "no coupon" check out lanes?

What's that noise?

Oh, it just all the corporates giving a collective "NO, NO, NEVER."
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I’ve had a few coupon cows come through. It’s so fucking annoying. Like if you have the brain and time to memorize prices how is it so hard to put coupons with their respective groceries. It’s even more annoying when they get something that they swear is the right product and it’s the wrong size/flavour/whatever for the coupon to work but they insist. Like, bitch please, I’ve been trapped in this external hell for years I know how to do my job. I know how coupons and points work because I FUCKING WORK HERE! Yes, coupon cows are annoying. Why do they all seem to get a kick off of holding everyone up? It’s like that one dick who insists on digging in his pockets to pay entirely in change on an express line.
      Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

I know you probably could not have done this safely -- but wouldn't it have been grand to tell her, "One moment, Ma'am ... the computer is saying that you have [to the folks in line behind her] TOO MANY COUPONS. I need to get a manager's permission to keep going."
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
          It’s even more annoying when they get something that they swear is the right product and it’s the wrong size/flavour/whatever for the coupon to work but they insist.
          Fucking HATE these people. Can't they even attempt to read the fine print?!

Comment

Those last three words weren't really needed, now were they, MJ?
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
              I’ve had a few coupon cows come through. It’s so fucking annoying. Like if you have the brain and time to memorize prices how is it so hard to put coupons with their respective groceries. It’s even more annoying when they get something that they swear is the right product and it’s the wrong size/flavour/whatever for the coupon to work but they insist. Like, bitch please, I’ve been trapped in this external hell for years I know how to do my job. I know how coupons and points work because I FUCKING WORK HERE! Yes, coupon cows are annoying. Why do they all seem to get a kick off of holding everyone up? It’s like that one dick who insists on digging in his pockets to pay entirely in change on an express line.
              Wait, I was taught by my mom to put the coupons with the item you are using them with so the checker can more or less verify they are being used for the right items.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I know it wasn't really reasonable, but in a dream world (nightmare world) I would have gone into the bags for the items for each coupon, to 'verify' that the items were correct. Maybe even voided and rescanned them just to be sure.

Comment

I'd have done that, Jetfire, if there hadn't been three people behind her. She was already making their day difficult; I didn't see any percentage in adding to it.

I was on express yesterday and guess who came through my line ... I was sorely tempted to ask, "Didn't you already buy enough food for a month? Why are you back here?"

She was a bit of a PITA with the cutesy comments (can't remember the specifics) but thankfully it WAS the express lane so she was quickly gone.
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

We have POP tags that stick on the front tag strips on the shelves and they list Price Cuts, Hot Deals, Dollar amounts off and of course "Price after Mail in Rebate".
                    "But it said it's $9.99". Yes but it is "After Mail-In Rebate". "I ain't got time for that".

Comment

Just to add even more confusion to the mix, I've been told that our store's clothing line, when it's marked 50% off, is ALREADY scanning at the 50% off price.

Unlike everything else in the freakin' store, which has to be manually reduced.
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                      X