Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok one this happened out of my sight. Like I mentioned previously our warehouse takes up several miles, and I do not patrol the entire warehouse, nor do I have time. Also this guy wasn't checked in on my shift he was checked in near the end of 2nd shift, and started acting oddly at the beginning of my shift.

I'm not sure why the Supervisor didn't call an ambulance or the police first, he called me first. I guess he just wasn't thinking clearly at the time. I called the police, and told them there was a driver acting very strangely, and wasn't sure if an ambulance was needed or not.

I don't know why First Aid wasn't performed, but the Supervisor was just responding to one of the warehouse employees saying something was wrong, and he went out to investigate. Also I don't think anyone would have been willing to perform any type of First Aid, because if they aren't certified it opens the door for a lawsuit, and also no one knew how this man would react if approached.

All I know is the cops spoke with him, and found no reason for him to either be arrested or admitted to the hospital so they let him be. Definitely a bizarre situation.

Comment

Your place of work has No one qualified in first aid?!? Wow. My place of employment has at least 2 first aiders on shift at all times on each floor (3 floors in all).

Comment

I know that none of us guards have first aid training or certification. But if I was to join the Flex team, then I'd get the training and certification, I'm not sure if the Site Captain is First Aid trained and certified or not.

As far as the warehouse employees go I'm not sure, we have very few accidents and medical emergencies. Honestly I would have done the same thing in the Supervisor's position. With the guy's erratic behavior, he could have easily been drunk or high and started swining when touched, also add in the bodily fluids that are technically considered a bio-hazard, and I wouldn't have touched the guy.

We just witness what occurs, call emergency personnel if necessary and write an Incident Report, that's standard company procedure.

Comment

Most states have what are called "Good Samaritan Laws", protecting the aid giver from lawsuits when rendering first aid. Basically if a person is unable to respond to the person rendering aid, it's assumed that the person is accepting the help, no questions asked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law
          If today is an indication of the rest of the week, I'm going to need to start drinking. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

I could see doing basic first aid if the guy was unconscious or something like that but he was acting like nothing was wrong and according to the Supervisor just hopped back into his truck to move it.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
              Guy #3 sounds like he was having a full blown seizure.

WHY THE HELL DID THE SUPERS LET HIM BEHIND THE WHEEL AFTER HE CAME TO?????

If he was having a seizure and admitted it he knows he would not be able to drive anymore. Most states have laws that if a doctor confirms you had a seizure you cant drive for 9-12 months. If you have another that time starts over. And there is no way you ever be able to keep a CDL.

Comment

I'm surprised they would let them drive period after having a seizure. I guess it depends on if it's a one time thing or a condition like epilepsy though. I have a friend who had a brain tumor removed when she was young and as a result had seizures. She was able to get them under control and has been seizure free for awhile but can't get a driver's license.

What really surprised me is seeing truck drivers who were partially or mostly deaf, who still had CDLs.

Comment

Federal Statute states that the holder of a CDL must have a drug test within 4 hours of any accident, whether at cause or not. DH used to hold a CDL, and this is going to be a BIG part of the lawsuit against the 18-wheeler driver that rear-ended me in '06 (he wasn't tested). No, I don't have the link, but DH did download hard copies of the statutes at the time.
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    I think that's irresponsible of the police. What if he was having some sort of seizure, or was suffering some condition that might kill him? Just from what you've said here, if it's not easily explained by being drunk, the guy needed to be checked out!

That really annoys me - that someone can be that obviously sick, and not taken to a hospital to get checked out.
                    My dad would be having a fit. He's driven semis longer than I've been alive and he'd have been PISSED that someone in that condition was driving anything, let alone an 18-wheeller. I don't care what you're carrying, if you are that fucked up for whatever reason, pull over and put your hazards on. I have no sympathy regardless of what may or may not have been wrong with the guy, he could have fucking killed someone or lots of people, semis are no joke and I couldn't begin to even deal with the stress and difficulty of such a job.

Yes, whoever it was SHOULD have been taken to the hospital, if only to protect other people that may be on the road and such.

Comment

Quoth boringscreenname View Post
                      Apparently this guy got tired of waiting and pulled his trailer out of the dock door while the light was still red, and his trailer was still locked into the door. He didn't let up untiil the trailer came free, and he completely destroyed the door, and ripped a bunch of equipment from his trailer. Then he has the nerve to come to me and demand our company fix his trailer for free.
                      We had similar at our place once. Guy ripped part of his trailer by pulling off far too early - fairly minor damage. We were rather glad he demanded this, since we got the information to charge him and his company for the damage to our loading docks. Yes, his insurance had to pay for the lot.

Rapscallion

Comment

Holy crap! And I thought the idiot who tried to drive a 4.2 meter tall truck under the 4.1 meter tall canopy was bad.

(Apparently the truck was stuck there for a couple of hours, providing some entertainment for the drag shift guy)

Comment

This reminds me of a railway bridge near where my parents live. It has been hit by high vehicles more then 200 times since 1989. The most bashed bridge in Britain
                          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

The guy practically fell out of the semi, and his eyes are rolling in his head, and he proceeds to piss all over himself. Supervisor tells him to back straight up into the door, and open his trailer doors, so they can unload him.

Guy gets back in the truck, proceeds to take down an entire fence, the trash compactor and a dumpster before he finally gets into the door, and the supervisor called me to ask what the hell he should do.
                            Well that was pretty dumb. Why would you tell someone in that condition to get back into a truck and drive it?

Comment

Because no one was around that could have done it for him. The people who work in the warehouse don't have CDLs and don't know how to drive semis, they just load and unload the trailers. Also I'm pretty sure they aren't just going to hop in someone else's semi and trailer to move it, because that's a liability issue for our company if something were to happen to the guy's truck or trailer. The guy's trailer had to get unloaded somehow.

What I want to know is how the hell the guy made it all the way to our warehouse without getting into a wreck. He should have called his dispatcher or company and gotten another driver to take care of the load, but he chose not to. After his episode he still could have called his dispatch to take care of the situation but for whatever reason decided he could do it himself.

Comment

Because no one was around that could have done it for him. The people who work in the warehouse don't have CDLs and don't know how to drive semis, they just load and unload the trailers. Also I'm pretty sure they aren't just going to hop in someone else's semi and trailer to move it, because that's a liability issue for our company if something were to happen to the guy's truck or trailer. The guy's trailer had to get unloaded somehow.
                                I understand, but I still don't think I'd have someone in that condition get back in the truck. Too dangerous. Call a tow truck to have it moved out of the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X