Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know you can't look this up, so look it up for me!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know you can't look this up, so look it up for me!

Inventory wasn't too hellish; got lectured a few times as my sorting/counting system was slightly different from the boss' way of doing it (hey, mine's faster as I know how to do it and gets the same end result so what's the issue?). It was determined that Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey and Stephen King are too prolific to be real (yeah, most of the titles we didn't carry any of, but six freaking pages each?! that probably wasn't their entire booklist, either).

Most people seemed to know we were closed that day.

Phone rings, I jump and almost bring a case of D&D minis down on my head (damn unstable plastic slatwall shelves). All I heard was his end of the convo, but I could imagine what the lady was like. The only phone call we got today (Jan. 1).

[following is all Bossman's speech]
    "Thank you for calling [gamestore], we are closed today for physical inventory, can I help you?" (He should have just set the phone to after-hours, but if he had we would not have gotten this comedy sketch)

"That is something we have carried in the past, I can't look it up now as the computer system is down for inventory."

"No ma'am, I do not know if we have it right now. I cannot look it up right now. The store will be open tomorrow at noon, you can call back then."

"I know I said we have had it in the past. I have no idea if we have it now because our inventory database is down." [which was technically true, sure we could look it up but the gaming section was a disaster and for inventory purposes nothing could be on the hold shelf]

"Ma'am, we are closed."

"Yes I know it's a weekday. It is also New Years Day and most stores are closed today."

"Well, this isn't a grocery store."

"I cannot look that up for you now. Whatever you're looking for will be here on the shelf tomorrow, I guarantee that."

"We are closed. The store will open tomorrow at noon, call back then."

*click*

I have a feeling she was looking for either a board game or pewter miniature which were two of the most time-consuming areas to do (I really hate the pewter miniatures, not only a royal PITA, but also apparently the largest area of shrinkage in the store this year).
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 01-02-2008, 01:05 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

We went by our local game/comic shop yesterday. I had not called ahead & did not know if it was open or not. If it wasn't, no biggie, try again later in the week. It was, so we went in to grab our order (comics, manga, etc - you have a set of titles that you order. If your list of titles is less than X, no discount; X to Y to get a discount; more than Y, you get a bigger discount. It's a win-win. Owner has guaranteed sales & we get a discount).

Poor C, the clerk who had only come in to work because the owner gave her big sad puppy eyes. 3 of the game books that we had ordered had arrived. Except, who ordered which books? We share a box & one was a book that we both wanted. It had been a month since the order (long story involving warehouse fire and damaged order) so we couldn't remember.

Alas, the owner had taken the special orders book & left 5 minutes previously. So we couldn't look up what we had ordered & whether or not we'd paid. And it would be at least an hour before the owner got home so we could call & ask him.

After much discussion, we decided that one of the two things I had ordered had come in & 2 of the things that my BF had ordered had arrived. For the one item that both of us wanted, BF had pulled a copy from the shelf & I bought it since I don't think that I had already paid for it.

I told C about this forum, in case she wanted to complain about how sucky we were.
    Last edited by TryNotToBeThatOne; 01-02-2008, 07:30 PM. Reason: Typo
    I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

She called back today. What was the woman looking for? A miniature (she didn't know the name, but described it as vaguely as she could; we--or I, rather--ended up pulling all the "elf" minis and holding the lot until Friday, such time as someone else wants elves, or she decided to come in, whichever comes sooner) and three transparent D20 with fully-inked white numbers (easy enough to locate, but both of us were mildly perplexed as to why she specified this--has Monk taken up gaming?).

Discussion ensued on how she'd have a heart attack with our personal dice collections; all shapes, sizes, colors and some don't even have recognizable numbers.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
      X