This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's with the exodus??

A little more than a year ago I moved into an apartment building intended for seniors (you have to be at least 50 to get in here )

One of the things I liked about it was the 'Social Club' which organized a lot of activities. One of the things I really liked about it was the Monday craft class.

Normally announcements go out on Sunday night, via Facebook PM, about Monday's class. Nothing was announced yesterday and I had been under the impression the class had stopped for the remainder of the summer.

But ... we all just got a message from the woman who led the class: she has moved out of the building. She apologized for not telling everybody but "I couldn't tell anyone because [Name] didn't know until I was out."

WTF?!?

I'm not sure who [Name] is nor what his relation to her is nor why it was apparently so important for her to get out before he knew she was gone.

This is probably the most startling move but I know we seem to have had a lot of departures lately. I'm kind of surprised as I like the place. It's quiet and reasonably friendly and has a lot of amenities ... although the way things are going, the Social Club activities will probably disappear within the decade, as fewer and fewer people are participating.

I admit to giving a fleeting thought to moving again, since when I was searching for a place initially I saw a very nice building with a slightly larger apartment AND lower rent (!) Problem was, at the time they would have wanted me to have a co-signer ... and this place doesn't require that.

I probably won't do it, though. There is supposedly a new leader for the craft class, and if not, there's a fairly active seniors' group in a building a five-minute drive away from me. They require an annual membership fee, but that's fine by me.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

She was probably being stalked or harassed by someone who knew where she lived. Now if anyone asks around for her, you and the other tenants can honestly say you don't know where she went to.

It's like Lennon said, "Life happens while you're making other plans."

I hope you find another craft's class soon. I'm still searching for an a activity to get me out of the house on my days off.
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

I had wondered about that too ... but I got some details from the source. It wasn't stalking or harassment ... it was a relationship triangle.

She finally decided that since neither of the other two ... participants ... were willing to break it up (particularly the guy), she would.

They've put up a request for a new craft class leader, but TBH I'll be very surprised if they get anybody. The social club here has been dwindling for some time, and this may be the death knell for that particular bit of it. (I was under the impression somebody else was waiting in the wings but apparently not.)

Ah well... there's always that BIG seniors' organization less than 10 minutes away by car, with tons of activities; I planned to join them soon anyway.
      Last edited by Pixelated; 07-23-2019, 04:01 AM.
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        I had wondered about that too ... but I got some details from the source. It wasn't stalking or harassment ... it was a relationship triangle.

She finally decided that since neither of the other two ... participants ... were willing to break it up (particularly the guy), she would.
        y.
        That's cozy murder mystery gold.

Comment

Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
          That's cozy murder mystery gold.
          No kidding! What a shame I have no creative writing skills! Anybody here want to pick it up and run with it??
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I have a first draft of a story about a little old lady who is a contract killer.

Comment

PERFECT!
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
                I have a first draft of a story about a little old lady who is a contract killer.
                Huh. Reminds me of the little old lady that is a CIA agent.

Comment

Quoth khms View Post
                  I'm sure lots of stories have done something similar. I basically reimagined Miss Marple as a Moriarty type.
                  Last edited by TheWolfEmperor; 07-24-2019, 04:33 AM.

Comment

I'm just sad this place considers you a senior at 50! Yet you can't retire at 50 so what the hell.
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                      I'm just sad this place considers you a senior at 50! Yet you can't retire at 50 so what the hell.
                      I've run into a number of people here who still work. One has encouraged me to apply at the dollar store she works at (although not her site, as they're not hiring ...) but the place I'm working at suits me fine for now, despite the distance.

I think they just felt that this is one way to put together a residence for people who don't want shrieking children in the hallways, or people having kegger parties in their units, and so on.

Although I live under the 'party room' and sometimes it really rocks. However, there's a firmly enforced time limit at which point the good times must end ...
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth khms View Post
                        There was a recent movie called Undercover Grandpa.

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                        I could have retired before I was 50, but I wasn't going to let them off that cheap. Our pension was reduced if we retired early.
                        Last edited by Ironclad Alibi; 07-24-2019, 09:50 PM.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                        X