This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Recommendations

So in light of the Steam sale, I have a whole slew of games that I was introduced to by friends and some that I've also picked up on Switch and/or 3DS, so I thought I'd plug em here and see if anyone else plays em.

Town of Salem: if you've ever played Werewolf or Mafia, it's basically this with a Puritan America theme (hence the name). You join a lobby with 15 other people and get randomly assigned a role. depending on that role, you either need to kill everyone, survive or similar and then the following day, you vote to lynch someone - ideally it should be one of the evil players. I love the variety of roles, the avatars are cute and it's actually great fun with friends (if you put a group together and there's not enough to run it on your own, it'll match you up with several other people). Only main downside is that people in the chat during the game can get a bit well...immature. (And I have been mistaken for male and/or gay several times)

Crypt of the Necrodancer: Also its sister game, Cadence of Hyrule (former is on PC, Switch etc. latter is Switch-only AFAIK). I don't normally like roguelike games, but this one is surprisingly addictive and the soundtrack is kickass. It is a roguelike game mixed with a rhythm game, but you're moving to a beat (represented at the bottom of the screen by a pulsing heart [or triforce in CoH]) and the monsters also have a pattern based on that beat which you need to work out in order to stay alive. Yes, it's frustrating at times when you don't know the rhythms, but it's very unique and strangely addictive. Cadence of Hyrule is based off of the Zelda franchise and on the Switch, it handles quite nicely.

Rez: An oldie but a goldie, I was so happy when I found it was on PC (originally on PS2). It's a rail shooter with very simple graphics. The twist however, is that there's a dance track pulsing in the background and as you shoot the enemies, each enemy has their own sound, so you're building the soundtrack as you go. It can get very chaotic, very fast and your wrists do hurt, but it's definitely worth a shot. It's also somewhat notorious for the fact that when it was released in Japan, it came with a "trance vibrator" that you plugged into the PS2's USB port and the idea was to sit on it or put it in your pocket so you could feel the shots when they hit. Yeah....they basically sold a sex toy with the game.

West of Loathing: Based off of Kingdom of Loathing, West of Loathing is a Western-themed RPG with stick figures and a very entertaining story. You play as one of three classes (physical attacker, ranged attacker or mage essentially) and there's quite an elaborate plot within the story involving a cow apocalypse, a mysterious device called El Vibrato, a weird-ass king and a cult that sounds a little bit like Mexican-American cooking. There's multiple endings, the combat and mechanics are fairly easy to pick up and the writing is glorious. Definitely worth a crack.

What else do people like?

I'm a fan of Project Zomboid: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...oject_Zomboid/
    It's hard but fun
    It also has a demo you can try out

Comment

Bloodstained (both games): The main game (ritual of the night) is basically a love-letter to Metroidvania games, made by many of the folks who essentially created the genre. Think Symphony of the Night and you'll have a pretty good idea. The 8-bit-style game from last year (curse of the moon) is basically a modern Castlevania III.

Civilization VI: The most recent of their classic 4X/strategy game series.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Along the same lines there's the Messenger. Starts off as a stage by stage classic castlevania platformer, but then it goes into Metroidvania territory with switching terrain. Lots of comedy in the game as well so it's a good buy.

Killer Instinct on sale is also a good buy. It's surprisingly solid and every time it goes on sale it's usually for 75% off.

Then there's Kerbal Space Program for those of you would be astronauts. Just remember that Rapid Unplanned Disassembly WILL occur and is just as fun.

Lessie, Capcom has a few, the Disney Afternoon bundle is a good emulation of the classic disney platformers and the Beat em up bundle has some really good Capcom Beat em up arcade games.

Lastly, if you want to scratch a management itch, Dungeons 2 and 3 and War for the Overworld are great options. Different approaches to the Dungeon Keeper successor claim, but both are fun.

As a bonus, pretty much anything that Wayforward was involved in is a blast to play.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

--Tales of (insert title here) are usually a good time. Symphonia is probably my favorite, but I've recently played Zesteria and Bersaria.
          --I enjoy Crypt of the Necrodancer, but I'm terrible at it, lol.
          --Tokyo Xandu Ex+ was a really fun game. It's subbed, no English voice track, so heads up.
          --Arigami is a fun stealth game
          --The Bridge. Puzzle game played by rotating the controller.
          --Journey/Abzu: really soothing exploration type games.
          --Last Guardian from the same folks as Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. The ending has so many feels.
          --NieR/NieR: Automata. Great music to go along with your existential crisis.
          --Kingdom Hearts series
          --Ni no Kuni series. Wrath of the White Witch is getting a PS4 remaster soon.
          --Entwined. Great little game about a fish and a bird who fall in love.
          --Persona5. Say goodbye to your social life.
          Last edited by jedimaster91; 07-01-2019, 10:48 PM.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Honorable mention here for the "Trails" series. Wonderfully written, and a completionist's dream (lots of "one-time" missables -- none of which are needed for gameplay -- including a number of smartass messages that show up if you examine empty treasure chests!); a unique, vaguely Grandia-esque combat system in which when your attacks/spells/etc actually resolve matters jut as much as what the attack itself does; enemies that don't drop money -- ever -- you gotta sell the elemental crystals they do drop for cash, but you also need them for so many other things >_>

Base series, 2.5D sprite-based: Trails in the Sky: Legend of Herores (followed by Trails ... SC and The Third)

Sequel series, full 3D a la modern" Tales Of..." games: Trails of Cold Steel I & II
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Eh, I'm just taking a break from Minecraft to play Terraria, ;-)

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                Eh, I'm just taking a break from Minecraft to play Terraria, ;-)
                Terraria is fun, but I prefer Starbound because there's more of a plot to it

Comment

I've recently gotten back into Armello. It's a fun strategy game with some Catan-ish elements. Matches are fairly quick (probably 30-40 minutes each, quicker if RNG goes your way). Definitely a steep learning curve, though.
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I am LOVING Taiko no Tatsujin for the Switch at the moment.

What's adorable is that the mascots will start doing the monkey during the climax of the song.

It then becomes hilarious when it does the monkey to a sped up and synthed version of the Candy Mountain song from Charlie the Unicorn

Comment

Working...
                    X