No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I started reading The Trilogy of Two..
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

• I am now reading The Golden Dream of Carlo Chuchio by Lloyd Alexander.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Just finished "An Orc at College" by Liam Lawson. Variable quality (some spelling/grammatical errors that could be the fault of whoever converted it to digital for Kindle) plus one of the main characters is a literal bunny girl (human/rabbit hybrid) who loves sex (which you discover in detail; I've lost my patience with extended sex scenes as I've got older). The "orcs in place of people of colour" metaphor with regards to racism was also somewhat heavy-handed. However I did enjoy the world building, and will be reading the sequels partly for these reasons:

1) A character and the bunny girl have a discussion about past partners, current sexual health and expectations before they get busy, even though they really want to get busy.

2) One of the semi-main characters was making out with a nameless girl at his house, and when she falls asleep he puts her in his bed and goes to sleep on the settee rather than making the assumption that he can share the bed without asking.

3) A character is involuntarily outed as trans and is not treated as a joke, but is treated with respect. They're not as developed a character as they could be, but they were on the peripheral of the first books story-line, and it is strongly implied that they may be moving to a more central role in the sequels.
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
          I read that one with my son. I personally thought it was pretty preachy, which surprised me.
          Oliver Sacks or the Minecraft book?

Comment

• Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
            J2KW mentions Max Barry - a while ago I saw the Minecraft book he wrote.
            I think you've confused Max Barry for Max Brooks, also an author, who also wrote the Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z.

Barry wrote Jennifer Government and created the NationStates game.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post

Barry wrote Jennifer Government and created the NationStates game.
              Great book by the way. The game was, meh.

Comment

• I finished The Hogfather last week. Susan was an amazing character.

Now I'm reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I started reading it a couple years ago, but when life intervened, I put it down and never finished it. I'm finally getting back to it (and starting over) now.
                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
                  Now I'm reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I started reading it a couple years ago, but when life intervened, I put it down and never finished it. I'm finally getting back to it (and starting over) now.
                  I always thought that was one of his better ones. I loved the world-building, and the way gods were born. As always, though, his female characters are a bit rubbish with their (lack of) motivations.
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    I am now reading The Golden Dream of Carlo Chuchio by Lloyd Alexander.
                    I finished The Golden Dream of Carlo Chuchio this past weekend. It reminded me of the Arabian Nights.

Being in a hotel all weekend I read several other books. First was When Marnie Was There by Joan Robinson. This book was made into an anime movie.

After that I read The Multiplex Man by James P Hogan, a science fiction novel.

And I just finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

Comment

• About 3/4 of the way through "The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents" by Terry Pratchett. This had been sitting around for a long time and yet somehow i'd never gotten to it until now.

I believe the person who did the cover art was David Wyatt; he's got the cat's expression down perfectly.
                      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• I have started Prelude To Foundation by Issac Asimov.

Comment

• A bit of background: some weeks ago somebody dumped a box full of books outside a donut shop. I asked a few customers and one said the box had been sitting there for hours so ... I took them home and am reading my way through most of them (the one on science fair projects is one of the few exceptions ...)

Right now I am reading this particularly engaging but WEIRD book (for kids) titled "The Higher Power of Lucky" by Susan Patron. Lucky Trimble lives in Hard Pan, California (population 43) with her guardian, Brigitte, and her dog HMS Beagle (who isn't actually a beagle). She and Brigitte and HMS Beagle live in three trailers that have been attached together. Her idea of entertainment is listening (through a hole in the wall) to the testimonies of the members of various twelve-step programs. She carries her survival-kit backpack everywhere (I'm not sure at this point what's in it).

At one point Brigitte is in near-hysterics after opening the dryer and finding a snake inside. Lucky helps to get rid of it and is later telling her friend Lincoln about it.

Lincoln: "Mike's grandmother had one in her dryer once. It came in through the vent going to the outside of the mobile home."

Lucky: "What did she do?"

Lincoln: "Thirty minutes on normal cycle."

My first reaction was

My second reaction was "OMG I'm going to hell for laughing at that ..."

Lincoln's mother wants him to grow up to be president ... hence his full name of Lincoln Clinton Carter Kennedy.

Lincoln, however, is fascinated by knots and while he is indeed interested in being president, it's the presidency of the International Guild of Knot Tyers that he's aiming for.

Which, might I add, is a real thing.

When I picked up that boxload of discards, I figured most of the YA and kids' books would ultimately be donated.

This one is just SO weird it might be a keeper.
                          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• I am currently reading (as is usual for me 6 or 8 books right now). A few of them:

Somewhither by John C Wright is odd but fun.

Spellbound by Larry Coreria. Magic, steampunk, mayhem, Larry's usual fare.

And I just started the 4th Laundry Files book (The Apocalypse Codex) by Charles Stross. I think am over being weirded out by book 3, we shall find out soon enough.

I'm looking through my list of Kindle books and now realize I have something like 15 books on the go. 🙄
                            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
                              Right now I am reading this particularly engaging but WEIRD book (for kids) titled "The Higher Power of Lucky" by Susan Patron.

I just looked this up on Amazon. Weird doesn't begin to describe it! I just might have to see if they have it at the library...
                              There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

• I am reading NK Jemison's The Fifth Season and Ellis Peters' A Morbid Taste for Bones. I adored the Cadfael TV series with Derek Jacobi so it's high time I read the books. And while I am not seeing anything particularly innovative in The Fifth Season, it has a lot of my favorite fantasy tropes and I'm really enjoying it.

For anyone who likes funny stuff, I just finished Drew Melbourne's Percival Gynt and the Conspiracy of Days. It's Douglas Adams-funny, but also has a lot of dark elements and it's not shallow or cynical at all. It's hard to describe but I highly recommend it!
                                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Working...
                                X