Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing things for "exposure" or a "shout out"...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing things for "exposure" or a "shout out"...

Is this a common thing for people to offer now for goods or services?

I've been on this jag of watching these YouTube channels involving the subreddit "Choosing Beggars" and "Malicious Compliance".

Seems like some people will want people to do something for them/give them something for a "shout out" or for "exposure", not actual money.

And then when they're told no, they tell the person that their product won't sell, their service isn't that great anyway, they're just greedy, etc...

Mostly it's services (i.e. I want a logo, do this photography for me, etc.)

Is this a common thing now?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

More common than it should be, yes.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      More common than it should be, yes.
      What do you mean you won't spend 3 hours making me a logo for my social media account that only has 100 followers for exposure!?!?

You're a greedy poopy head!

Comment

The practice has been around for years. Several people here have complained about them. Look through Saraph's posts. You see a lot of startups trying this. They have no money to pay for it.

The other ones you get are the bloggers/video bloggers/instagrammers. These are commonly call Internet Influencers. Some are legit. Other a merely blackmailers. "If you don't give me want I want, I'll shred you in front of my followers." Ones I get a laugh at are the ones that think that they are going to get a free meal by blackmailing a Michelin 4-5 star restaurant. I doubt your review will either help or hurt them.

My sister-in-law is a blogger. She has developed enough of a reputation in her circle that merchants ask her to review their products. She doesn't ask for products to review.

Over the last few years, there have been a number of news reports of businesses being blackmailed or complaining about Influencers hounding them for freebees.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          The other ones you get are the bloggers/video bloggers/instagrammers. These are commonly call Internet Influencers. Some are legit. Other a merely blackmailers. "If you don't give me want I want, I'll shred you in front of my followers." Ones I get a laugh at are the ones that think that they are going to get a free meal by blackmailing a Michelin 4-5 star restaurant. I doubt your review will either help or hurt them.
          And they always have about 100 followers.

Over the last few years, there have been a number of news reports of businesses being blackmailed or complaining about Influencers hounding them for freebees.
          The ones I've seen are usually the ones like I mentioned above. They want some logo for their blog/youtube/instagram/game site, and then complain when the person they're asking wants actual money. Then they say they're going to "block" the person they contacted to begin with.

Comment

I'd happily offer to promote a nice young lady's goods or services in return for no money just their exposure...

Oh...wait....they meant....
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Say what you will about him, Jim Sterling put it best.

Any company that can only pay in exposure doesn't have enough influence to give it.
              Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

clientsfromhell.com is basically built around this premise. People will always want more than they are willing to pay for, and be dumbfounded when told no.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                  What do you mean you won't spend 3 hours making me a logo for my social media account that only has 100 followers for exposure!?!?

You're a greedy poopy head!

I have unfortunately become addicted to food and having a roof over my head.

Quoth csquared View Post
                  I am so glad I got out of retail before these people really became a thing. If I'd have seen some THOT or fuckboi trashing my store for Youtube clicks and ad revenue, I'd have probably killed them.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The proper response to "but you'll get exposure!" is "exposure is what you die of when you can't pay the rent". (Works better in chillier or OMFG-hot regions.)

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      I am so glad I got out of retail before these people really became a thing. If I'd have seen some THOT or fuckboi trashing my store for Youtube clicks and ad revenue, I'd have probably killed them.
                      Or you could get internet fame by publicly shaming them. And if it did go viral, you could turn around and bill them 6.5 million dollars for all the exposure you gave them.

Comment

Working...
                      X