This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I went to the Clearance Swamp last night

It's dismal. Tomorrow is the last day of its existence. I don't even know why it's open. The makeup is all damaged and there are very few clothes. 70% of the store is cleared and blocked off. Despite the fact that it's going out of business, the prices are still too high (before discount). I think that's part of the reason it's closing. At least I scored a pair of cushy slippers for 6 bucks.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

You'd think they'd slash prices to rock bottom just to get rid of the stuff. I know when the Tea Shoppe closed they were practically giving the stuff away, because the more we got rid of, the less anybody had to pack up at the end.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

My understanding of the Going Out OF Business process is this:

Company decides or is forced to close its doors
      A liquidator is hired to sell off everything including fixtures
      Liquidator immediately jacks up the price on EVERYTHING then declares ROCK BOTTOM DISCOUNTED prices

people flock there "expecting" a "great deal" when in reality they may actually be paying over MSRP (manufactors suggested retail price)

try not to buy anything at a Going Out OF Business sale, you just may get screwed

Now granted the Clearance Swamp did a version of this during their regular business. There were little cards near a group of items with a list of MSRP's = (say $50 (???)) and a Swamp price (say $40) as I believe Irv will confirm. they did this with all their merchandise and they did this for the almost 20 years I went into Swamp
      Last edited by Racket_Man; 06-24-2019, 05:03 AM.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

RM is correct By the time you see the "Going out of Business" signs, the place is in the liquidators' hands.

I would say, give it a shot, but educate yourself. If you see something you know is well below normal retail, go for it. If you're not sure, check online with your cell.

E.g.: Office Despot recently closed in this manner. I got some good deals on items that fell under the former category (POP Vinyls for $2.50 a pop (Get it? Pop? Huh? Get it? Get it? , Notebooks for 50 cents, etc) and one or two that fell under the latter (a big Batman & Harley Quinn resin statuette for $20, a 4TB hard drive for $40). The major thing I missed out on was printer ink for something like 40% of current retail. Some dude came in and bought ALL of it before I could snag any for my printer.

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        You'd think they'd slash prices to rock bottom just to get rid of the stuff.
        Well, they are At least, as compared to the jacked-up prices they set when they took over...
        Last edited by EricKei; 06-26-2019, 10:17 PM.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I think it's good to always have in mind a cap on how much you'll pay for something. For me, it's $10 for slippers. If the dept. store has them on "sale" for $20, it's not happening. I got a good price on makeup at the Swamp a month ago but that was before the liquidators.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post

Now granted the Clearance Swamp did a version of this during their regular business. There were little cards near a group of items with a list of MSRP's = (say $50 (???)) and a Swamp price (say $40) as I believe Irv will confirm. they did this with all their merchandise and they did this for the almost 20 years I went into Swamp
            Can confirm. The most obvious example was furniture. They'd advertise a sofa with a regular price of, say $1000, even though it was worth nowhere near that. Then sell it for a "sale" price of, say $350. Even at that price they were still making bank.
            It was disturbingly effective.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              Can confirm. The most obvious example was furniture. They'd advertise a sofa with a regular price of, say $1000, even though it was worth nowhere near that. Then sell it for a "sale" price of, say $350. Even at that price they were still making bank.
              Works for me. My cap for a sofa is $350 so whatever "regular" price they claimed, it's irrelevant to me.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                WOW I don't remember it being that bad. My deceased GFs daughter did buy a lot of stuff at the Swamp ie. cloths furniture smaller stuff. But then again I did not work there so would have no inside knowledge

I loved the 3x5 cards with the price lists on it. like I said above "regular" price then to the right the Swamp price
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

The Swamp had made a mistake when they started the store closings. Because they were still planning on keeping some stores open, the website still had all the normal prices. I was able to find the few truly good deals during the sale because of this. Nothing was picked up until I knew the normal price.

My parents were happy because I was able to replace all of their old worn out towels with nice new ones for less than a dollar each. How that many of the good towels made it until the last week of the sale I'll never know, but it worked out for us.

Comment

Working...
                  X