This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tea, donuts, and ... books?

I stopped at one of Canada's iconic coffee-and-donut shops for a tea and donut the other day and spotted ... a box of books. Sitting on the grass right beside the parking lot.

I asked a couple of guys standing outside the shop what was up with the books, and they said they didn't know. The box had been sitting there for a couple of hours, said one. "If you want 'em, take 'em."

Because that's just what I need ... more books.

And yes, I did bring them home.

But few if any will be kept ... they'll be read and donated. Although the one I'm currently reading will be going, alas, into the recycling box. It's falling apart and not suitable for donation.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Awwww
    It's always nice to see that some treebabies have found their forever home.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Re: the title

Sounds like a lovely day . . .

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
        Re: the title

Sounds like a lovely day . . .
        I know ... from the time I was about 7 until about 20 my favorite thing to do in the summer was to grab a book, wander over to this great willow tree overhanging the lake my Dad's summer cottage was on, clamber out over the water to my favorite reading seat and spend hours mind-wandering through Middle Earth, Arrakis, Barsoom, Tarzan's Africa and any other world found in books. In the winter, it was to hole up in my room, record player spinning music with a mug of hot tea, a snack and yet more books ...

I have always been very solitary, holed up somewhere reading has always been my escape from illness, pain and people in general. Being high on the Autism spectrum, people can be scary and fatiguing and I am just more comfortable being alone or with just a very few select friends. [I can fake being extroverted if I need to, Mom trained me well but I still prefer to be alone or with one or two people at most. It makes me thrilled my husband is the same - we can hole up in the bedroom or our studio for hours with nothing more than movies or shows on TV via netflix or amazon, a fresh pot of coffee or tea and something to read, or online gaming.]
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Oh, AD, are you and I twins?

I was always the family changeling, and you just described my life! I've never been diagnosed on the autism scale, but everything else you said . . .

Comment

I remember the first book I rescued from the trash back in the late 1950s. The people living behind us had thrown out a box of books. My brother a Lone Ranger book and I picked a US Civil War history book. It was Battles Of The War For The Union by Henry Altemus. I still have it. It was printed in 1897
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Once I started to read, there was no stopping me. I read on the way to and from school. I read on the weekends. At the table. In the car on long trips. I've been all over the world in books, and I've traveled through time. Marvelous.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                Oh, AD, are you and I twins?

I was always the family changeling, and you just described my life! I've never been diagnosed on the autism scale, but everything else you said . . .
                we can be twins, always wanted a sister, mine passed when I was 3 years old so I really don't remember her at all - just have a few pictures of her.

Quoth Eireann View Post
                Once I started to read, there was no stopping me. I read on the way to and from school. I read on the weekends. At the table. In the car on long trips. I've been all over the world in books, and I've traveled through time. Marvelous.
                as the joke goes i would read in my sleep if i could keep my eyes open =)
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                  ... as the joke goes i would read in my sleep if i could keep my eyes open =)
                  Would dreaming I'm reading count?

My schoolmates remember the teachers confiscating the book I was reading... and not even making it back to their desk before I was engrossed in another one.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                  X