This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You gave me bad gas!

I have a situation with my car that I could see some of our lab animals (can't be rats, rats have principles) running away with.

I get ~220 miles on the first half of a full tank of gas, but only ~110 miles on the second half.

Obviously, the gas station is putting bad gas in the bottom of my tank!
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

No it's your car.

I love topping the tank till the click, and getting 75mi to the full line, but 1/4 tank is 90mi to E.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

What really happens is when you have a full tank your engine is getting 100% gas to run on and gets lots of miles. By the time the tank is half empty, the engine is getting a mixture of 50% gas and 50% air, so you don't get as many miles on the last half of the tank.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Could be something as simple as the fuel level float isn't reading correctly. Because you have to take the gas tank out to test it, I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as it's not showing fuel when you are sitting on the side of the road with an empty tank.

Comment

I've seen this behavior on new cars/trucks.

My dim impression of the generation of the cars I learned to drive on ('60s) was that they would wind the sender non-linearly to match the sculpturing of the tank (though many were quite rectagular boxes). Since then the tanks have been ratholed into whereever they'll fit and could easily have a profile like the silhouette on a truckers mudflap. Meanwhile, it's too too much effort to compensate for the nonlinearity when one sensor can be used on every vehicle in the product line. I expect F & E to be fairly close. The quarter and half marks are good for laughs unless you've self calibrated crrections.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post

Obviously, the gas station is putting bad gas in the bottom of my tank!
            I'm voting for some sort of space-time anomaly, sort of like watched clock syndrome. Only in this case, rather than a watched clock slowing down, the tank drains faster due to the stress of wondering if you'll make it to the gas station before the needle pegs on E.
            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              I've seen this behavior on new cars/trucks.

<snip> Since then the tanks have been ratholed into whereever they'll fit and could easily have a profile like the silhouette on a truckers mudflap. Meanwhile, it's too too much effort to compensate for the nonlinearity when one sensor can be used on every vehicle in the product line. I expect F & E to be fairly close. The quarter and half marks are good for laughs unless you've self calibrated crrections.
              This would explain my current car - I get about 220 miles on the first half-tank, then maybe 115-125 depending on driving conditions for the last half!
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

"You gave me bad gas!"

This sounds like a complaint one might hear at a Bell of Tacos.
                Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                  "You gave me bad gas!"

This sounds like a complaint one might hear at a Bell of Tacos.
                  Is that sort of gas ever good?
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I'd have the gas stand in the corner and think about what it's done.
                    AkaiKitsune
                    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Beano? Or Gas-X?
                      My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X